Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

The Great Debate: Should Players Who Miss/Fail Drugs Tests Be Allowed To Play Again?

There was a massive problem when Rio Ferdinand missed his drugs test and was banned for 8 months I think, and for some reason this subject jumped into my head today so I thought I would post it on here.

If a player was to miss a drugs test should they be allowed to go back the next day and have it then or should they get a ban as every football must have a mobile phone (any poster who can name a footballer who does not own a mobile phone can have my season ticket seat next season) that they can store the date of their drugs test in, or be rung up by the drug testers and be told to go and have the test. Or should they be banned from playing again?

If a player fails a drugs test, i think this is a more serious offence, should they be allowed to play again? I think that they should be banned from all sports and action should be taken against the team that they play for too.

So... what are your thought on this...?

I am a Banana - [;)]

I think they should be made to smoke some crack and Brown. That would be an apt and good punishment.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

There was a massive problem when Rio Ferdinand missed his drugs test and was banned for 8 months I think, and for some reason this subject jumped into my head today so I thought I would post it on here.

If a player was to miss a drugs test should they be allowed to go back the next day and have it then or should they get a ban as every football must have a mobile phone (any poster who can name a footballer who does not own a mobile phone can have my season ticket seat next season) that they can store the date of their drugs test in, or be rung up by the drug testers and be told to go and have the test. Or should they be banned from playing again?

If a player fails a drugs test, i think this is a more serious offence, should they be allowed to play again? I think that they should be banned from all sports and action should be taken against the team that they play for too.

So... what are your thought on this...?

I am a Banana - [;)]

Cant remember the facts 100% but hadnt Rio not turned up for this test 2 or 3 times before they took the ultimate action. I am sure as well that they hung on at their training ground and rang his mobile several times but he wouldnt answer - anyone remeber exactly?

[/quote]

No Nana, you looked at your post score, looked at what was on the message board, decided you''d never reach your 5k if you had to stick with that and started a new thread

Seriously, the missing drug test thing is the norm in most sports and football is no different. The idea is SURPRISE. You certainly dont tell footballers when youre coming otherwise they know when they need to be clear and when they dont. "OK Mr Ferdinand, we''ll see you after the game against Stoke. Make sure you keep off the steroids in the meantime, please".

Drug testing has to take place at an unknown time and cannot be "rescheduled" for a time convenient to the person being tested.  Depending on the drug they may have taken a delay of just 48 hours could be enough for it to have got out of their system.  For example, opiate based drugs only remain detectable in the body for 48-72 hours after you take them, although cannabis will remain detectable for up to a month. [8-|]