Sign in to follow this  
Jarroldstander

League One title celebration

I wouldn''t have an open topped bus, I would have a dooda outside the City Hall. It was amazing last time, although, I doubt there would be half that many people.

Like people have said, you can only beat whats in front of you and we have won bugger all in our time.

But lets wait and see, still 10 games left And the next 3 games will sort us out or screw us.

Open top bus, public holiday, street parties, fireworks, a gonga round the castle. The club, the players, the fans deserve it. We won. And by the looks of it bloody decisively as well.

I don''t give a s*** what others club''s fans think. It isn''t about them, it about us.

It been pretty wretched the last few seasons and I''m sure a fair few of us carried that nagging doubt through the summer that this might be our lot for some while. No appeal, no early release just the slow, slow sinking of our club.

Well others didn''t. It was the wake up call we needed. A more assertive board. A chief executive that took drastic action immediately. Never mind the defeat, Gunn was not up to it. ''It'' being for once professional, disciplined and successful.

So let''s celebrate that we have the people in charge worthy of the fans. We can have a day of being nice again. An afternoon of being nicely pi**ed, then it''s back to the business in hand. The Premiership.

And maybe on the day a ceremonial gesture to our impoverished neighbours as well. Something Simon Clegg with his olympic past will appreciate. We formally hand over our Div 1 place to the binners !

If we are champions then it is appropriate to have a civic reception as this current squad and management team will have earned it. Personally however, the celebration will be tinged with the feeling that we have only returned to a level we should never have fallen from in the first place.

[quote user="crafty canary"]...........Personally however, the celebration will be tinged with the feeling that we have only returned to a level we should never have fallen from in the first place.
[/quote]

How right you are.......we''re in Division 3 (old money) for the first time in fifty years and we shouldn''t forget that fact and what got us there.

Relegation and game one may have been the hard lessons we needed.

It brought us in an honest bunch of players; an up and coming manager; the playing of our best youth; a sense of togetherness; the joy of winning most weeks; a sense of purpose; consolidation; a season amongst real supporters and IMO a title.

I suppose we could instead have had another mediocre season in the Championship. Hardly inspiring for that lot down the road is it?

Norfolk people are world class at looking back. Reminiscing is a county sport.

I remember the tough times and the failings for sure, they make the success sweeter but all in all I only want to look forwards.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]...... Hardly inspiring for that lot down the road is it? Norfolk people are world class at looking back. Reminiscing is a county sport.

I remember the tough times and the failings for sure, they make the success sweeter but all in all I only want to look forwards.[/quote]

You look back to learn lessons and not repeat the errors while going forward. 

I have always said that we should not have a public celebration (because it''s similar to an adult playing against a kid in terms of club size) but I have changed my mind. Personally I still don''t feel like celebrating if we get promotion but the players deserve it, the majority of our players played no part in our downfall and have done well to get us where we are and will have done a fantastic job to get us out of this division at the first attempt, especially in coming from behind. Lambert and his team also deserve to celebrate their success with the full support of the fans, it would be his biggest achievement (so far) in management. If we don''t want to do it for ourselves i think we should do it with gusto for them. It also sends a positive message to them for the forthcoming season, they may want to show even more determination for the sake of the fans. A half hearted celebration does not show our appreciation and if anything we should want to build on our relationships and keep this winning team mentality between club, board, fans, management and players. We shouldn''t care about any mickey taking, we shouldn''t care at all about what others think, we put our "family first". 

hmmm its a difficult one, if this was our third season I would say yes, but it certainly has a catch 22 about it. I think I want the compromise, maybe a cup lifting and presentation of the team at the town hall.... but not the big open top bus parade as that would be overkill. Maybe a ''celebration'' at carrow road a couple of days after the end of the season?

No doubt in my mind, of course we should do it.  This team has made this city and county feel good about itself again.  However, as others have suggested, this post is about a month premature at the moment.

The majority of football discussions are about what might happen, there''s nothing really wrong with that so long as you don''t get too cocky. I also think that the celebration should be what Lambert wants it to be, he makes more right decisions for us than wrong ones at the moment, and we should support his decision.

[quote user="The gut"]The majority of football discussions are about what might happen, there''s nothing really wrong with that so long as you don''t get too cocky. I also think that the celebration should be what Lambert wants it to be, he makes more right decisions for us than wrong ones at the moment, and we should support his decision.[/quote]

In general I think nobody is assuming we have got promotion wrapped up. This is just hypothetical at the moment. I reckon if we pull it off the celebration should not be an open top one etc. That would be open to ridicule. However a dignified celebration at City Hall would be spot on for me. As I said earleir I think that would represent a richly deserved reward for all the players who have been magnificent since Lambert took over.  However there is just under a quarter of a season of football to be played before this so no one is getting carried away.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

Norwich City''s Honours

Second tier Champions1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04
Third tier Champions1933–34
Third tier Runners Up1959–60
League Cup Winners1962, 1985
League Cup Runners Up1973, 1975

As this shows it''s not everday you win something. So I think we should celebrate it IF we get over the line. It marks a fantastic turnaround from the absolute despair I felt at Charlton and on the opening day against Colchester. Also remember the players in all this. They have been fantastic for the whole season and deserve credit. For many it will have been the first league title of their careers. People like Martin and Spillane are getting a taste for winning things and will surely want more. 

For players like Michael Nelson who is a good honest lower league pro, it would represent the highlight of his career to date. He has his limitations but he has played really well alongside Doc this season. So why shouldnt they celebrate it?

[/quote]

You speak the truth sir! If we win the league, i will celebrate like we we''ve won the league, it''s not like we''ve had a lot to be happy about in the past 5 years. Hoping that IF it does happen we''ll be confrimed champions on 1st of May at Bristol Rovers as I''m going to that game and it''s my birthday, will then attmept to drink my own body weight in super strength west country cider, YUM!!!

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

Norwich City''s Honours

Second tier Champions1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04
Third tier Champions1933–34
Third tier Runners Up1959–60
League Cup Winners1962, 1985
League Cup Runners Up1973, 1975

As this shows it''s not everday you win something. So I think we should celebrate it IF we get over the line. It marks a fantastic turnaround from the absolute despair I felt at Charlton and on the opening day against Colchester. Also remember the players in all this. They have been fantastic for the whole season and deserve credit. For many it will have been the first league title of their careers. People like Martin and Spillane are getting a taste for winning things and will surely want more. 

For players like Michael Nelson who is a good honest lower league pro, it would represent the highlight of his career to date. He has his limitations but he has played really well alongside Doc this season. So why shouldnt they celebrate it?

[/quote]

You speak the truth sir! If we win the league, i will celebrate like we we''ve won the league, it''s not like we''ve had a lot to be happy about in the past 5 years. Hoping that IF it does happen we''ll be confrimed champions on 1st of May at Bristol Rovers as I''m going to that game and it''s my birthday, will then attempt to drink my own body weight in super strength west country cider, YUM!!!

I think we are all getting a little carried away with ourselves even discussing this! Still deep down think we will walk away with the title but, despite not normally being too superstitious, talking about this scares me as I am not too sure I could handle the potential fall from grace! Imagine us in the playoffs after harping on like this in March??? Not pessimistic, not a binner, just bloody nervous in case the wheels come off!

The arrogance is not on speculating how we will react if we win this league it is in the ''binner like'' whinges that we, the mighty Norwich, shouldn''t be in this league.

We should be in this league because of the number of points we achieved last season. The day football is decided on the perceived bigness of a clubs by it''s own fans is the day it disappears up it''s own backside. We will finish well ahead of clubs of our size and that will not be done through the cheat''s way - administration, either.

I''m sure, some on here feel we will be belittling ourselves by celebrating the winning of a lower league trophy. As if we have sunk so low that this is all we can celebrate. Well I''ll suggest that it was that same mindset that partially got us here in the first place.

A belief that it couldn''t happen to us. We were immune to such things. The club ambled along with a succession of managers that seemed to spend their time patching up the faults of the last one.

The off field activities were superb. And I''m sue that many in the club felt that success on the pitch would follow. it didn''t. We''ve had to be a bit more ruthless. Install a mindset where players don''t simply get appearance money, they get paid for results.

We''ve been getting these results. It has been a breath of fresh air in this league. The charm of the grounds, the genuine fans etc. But sadly most of that is not through choice. Many know that what they have is there lot. Occasionally clubs like Peterboro briefly climb higher only to burn out and sink back.

This season has proved we should be higher. On merit, not on fans talk. So we should celebrate. It would belittle the player''s achievements not to.

[quote user="Romantic"]I''m definitely enjoying what we''re achieving now. I just get a bit jittery about planning open top bus routes while there''s still a load of tricky fixtures to negotiate.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]...........Personally however, the celebration will be tinged with the feeling that we have only returned to a level we should never have fallen from in the first place.
[/quote]

How right you are.......we''re in Division 3 (old money) for the first time in fifty years and we shouldn''t forget that fact and what got us there.

This is the point to which I was refering about congratulating the team on the last day of season. And so Delia will be there yet again taking all the credit for the promotion