Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Drury set for reserve come back

Brilliant news as we approach the home straight, i''m assuming Huddersfield is too early for him but if we could get him back for Swindon & Leeds i''ll be over the moon.

Strong side named:

Rudd

Spillane, OTJ, Askou, Drury

Adeyemi, Gill, Hughes

McVeigh, Kelly, Daley

Steer, D.Stephens, Lathrope, Francomb, Dawkin

Would be great to get AD back for the run in, has been sorely missed.

OTJ at CB could be very interesting. He certainly has the physique for the position.

Why is Askou playing in the reserves again? 3rd or 4th time now isn''t it? and hasn''t even been on the bench, we need him on the pitch, Nelson has been doing well, but still isn''t as solid as Askou......

12 wins out of 14 suggest we don''t really need him on the pitch.  As long as Nelson keeps playing well he won''t be dropped.  Askou was performing well before his unfortunate injury but I really don''t think there''s much between them both.

There is....Askou is faster, can head the ball to a Norwich player (not 20 feet in the air, Nelson has improved on that front, but i still think Askou is better) and as far as i can remember Askou doesn''t often kick the ball out of play, after having 10 seconds to compose himself.....

I don''t remember that....i thought untill Rose kicked two balls out, only opposition players had kicked it out of the ground...

are you seriously saying Nelson is better than Askou? Nelson is good, but Askou is defiantly better overall....i think anyway, for me its like saying Cureton is better than Martin....

He did do it, at the JPT game against Brentford.

Anyway I''m saying that Nelson and Askou are pretty much as good as each other.  Askou is probably quicker yeah.  But Nelson''s done really well and I don''t think we''ve missed Askou very much, if at all.  Oh and the Cureton/Martin thing is just plain daft.

I cannot see how you can even think of saying they are the same.. Askou has the ability to play the ball out from the back with a short pass. He is stronger, quicker and very good in the air.

Nelson is ok at the basics. I.E blocks, headers and tackles, but when it comes to anything technicle he is hopeless. Typical league 1 defender in my opinion. he would be hopeless in the championship, somewhere i think Askou could do a decent job.

One thing I will say is that Askou is more of a threat from corners etc... that bullet header against Wycombe at home is testament to what hew can do!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]You mean like the time Askou managed to hoof the ball clean over the Jarrold Stand (the only player to do so)?[/quote]

That was a mighty clearance. You can''t score if its in the car park. What a player!

[quote user="King Korey"]Typical league 1 defender in my opinion. he would be hopeless in the championship.[/quote]

And what league are we in again?  Please remind me.

It''s hardly a fair criticism when (a) we are in League One and (b) he has spent the majority of his career in said division.  But your memory must be playing tricks on you if you think Askou''s distribution is much better and I don''t think he would be particularly good higher up either!  However we can only cross that bridge when we come to it.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]You mean like the time Askou managed to hoof the ball clean over the Jarrold Stand (the only player to do so)?[/quote]

That was a mighty clearance. You can''t score if its in the car park. What a player!

[/quote]

It was brilliant to be fair.  A feat unlikely to be matched.

It''s good to see Drury in the squad, and some of the youngsters getting games. Any idea on the score? Must be half time by now.........

Getting back to the topic, Drury is good news, but Rosey had a more than fine game on sat,and some players take their time to find their feet,and although his first match was good,he is one of them..So i wouldnt swap rose for drury yet,if rose has now settled in and saturdays performance does suggest he has, let him keep the shirt until his standard or injury etc didtates otherwise...Now going off the topic, nelson was a slow burner as well, but again like rose,he has come on really strong,though saturday was hard to not make a mistake against ppoor forwards..

Lets hope that Drury came through the game OK!

Although hes a different better level than Rose I wouldn'' put him back in just yet!

As for Nelson, hes got better through playing games and settling into the team much the same as Askou did at the start of the season, so he doesn''t deserve to be dropped by a long way. As for Askou, yes hes done well for us in most games but hes not as good as what some fans make him out out be!

Unless there is an injury or disaster thenAskou is not going to get much of a look in.Nelson will keep the shirt.

The interesting time will be next season and who will start because Lambert can then start with the players he thinks are his best 11 rather than those he feels he must keep faith with because of our run of form.

My guess is that Whitbread will replace Nelson with Askou on the bench and Spillane possibly for R Martin.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Lets hope that Drury came through the game OK! Although hes a different better level than Rose I wouldn'' put him back in just yet! As for Nelson, hes got better through playing games and settling into the team much the same as Askou did at the start of the season, so he doesn''t deserve to be dropped by a long way. As for Askou, yes hes done well for us in most games but hes not as good as what some fans make him out out be![/quote]

With every disrespect to Yeovil, each and everyone of us could have played at left back on Saturday!

If Drury is anywhere near 100% he must go straight back in ,given the teams we have coming up to play.

He was cruely exposed against Southampton, and we have similarly better sides now to play over the next 3 weeks.

Drury got 60 minutes. Same for Luke Daley.Nice to see players coming back at this crucial time of the season.

Drury is a championship player, we need his experience and skill in our defence over the coming month.

As soon as he is fit he will replace Rose without a shadow of doubt. Rose is a stop gap until Drury is fit.

Hope he plays on Sat instead of Rose and would like to see Askou back too, sorry Nelson

[quote user="cityangel"]Hope he plays on Sat instead of Rose and would like to see Askou back too, sorry Nelson[/quote]

I''d think Huddersfield on Saturday is too soon for Drury but there is another reserve game next week, so a nice run out there and hopefully he''ll be ready for Swindon on the Saturday.