Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Stay up playing ugly or go down upholding club traditions?

It''s a perennial arguement and i''m proud of our reputation as a club that "keeps it low".

But i''m sorry - i for one will put those traditions on hold if it means staying up. It''s getting desperate and as i''ve said before, i REALLY CAN NOT FACE relegation with those nasty g*ts down the road coming up in the other direction. It is the ultimate humiliation. I tend to believe that what goes around comes around and relegation with their promotion will be the flip side of us doing the double on them and getting promoted.

But i will fight it all the way and i don''t care if we have to play ugly to stay up. Birmingham and Bolton did it to stay up and Portsmouth to an extent as well. All teams do it to some extent. The only teams that really don''t are Arsenal and Chelsea.

Someone said we shouldn''t buy Crouch because we''ll just end up playing long ball to him. Well what''s wrong with that? Yes he would give us that option and i''d welcome it. At least it would mean we might be able to play it long EFFECTIVELY like Bolton do rather than hopelessly and aimlessly when we resort to it. And if it means we stay up and can help establish ourselves so we can play the Norwich way in seasons to come, in the premiership, then for this season I DON''T CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!

Thing is, Bolton have got this reputation of pumping long balls in the box, but if you actually watch their games they play some really good football to get there in the first place.

We are incapable of playing really good football, so I don''t think just banging the ball at Crouch will be enough.

I don''t want to be overly cynical but have we really played good, neat passing football over the past 4 or 5 years???

OK, it''s different in the first division but over the past x seasons we''ve basically seen balls lumped up field by Malky or Fleming at every opportunity, and at every set piece or goal kick the first and only tactic was to "Get it to Big Iwan", not exactly the passing triangles of Gordon, Fleck, Townsend or the incisive play of Mike Walker''s original side.

Indeed, Nige''s obsession with playing target men is so entrenched that we were playing with a centre half up front in the early stage of the season, that doesn''t smack of playing football "the right way" to me.

Don''t get me wrong, I''d love us to be fighting and winning points however we can, I just think we''re fooling ourselves if we genuinely believe that we''re playing nice passing football, the way the game should be played because we''re not.

[quote]I don''t want to be overly cynical but have we really played good, neat passing football over the past 4 or 5 years??? OK, it''s different in the first division but over the past x seasons we''ve basic...[/quote]

Thank God for Camberwick, at last, someone''s noticed other than me!.

The Last time City played the true passing game, was under Mike Walker, Mark I and 2 (blessing''s be on his name).

Players like Ian Crook etc. only come along now and again.

Compared to that side, the City team of today are just a bunch of ''thumpers'' (Huckerby excempted) and that bloody hurts me to say that!. 

And before anyone asks, IMO, in Mike Walker''s second term, he also managed to keep the passing game going. 

Camberwick Green and Wiz: I also think we''re not a particularly good footballing side. As you said Camberwick, we do have this obsession with a "big bloke" up front and that does not encourage good football.

Well said all - when did we last play passing football?  Hence my constant desire to learn to pass,move and introduce quality.

Perhaps we should abandon the long ball approach and start passing!!

OTBC

Quote: i REALLY CAN NOT FACE relegation with those nasty g*ts down the road coming up in the other direction. It is the ultimate humiliation.

A1canary:

Sorry to add more doom and gloom to your current situation, but even worse than this will be us going down and then them having consequetive years... I can handle if we go down and they come back down the year after, even if we dont go up!! But if they go and stay up and we''re not there at all for our free 6 points, then that I feel is even more of a kick to the head!!...

I find comfort in the thought that they may only come up because we''re not there to show em who''s boss!! They may be feeling smug right now, but all that''ll change next season... believe it!!

Either way, there blues... enough said