Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The most pleasant surprise

I was aksing myself which player, in a very satisfactory season so far, has been the greatest surprise.

We knew the reputation of Holt, - I live in Shropshire, and even Macnamee. Doc has come good again, Hooly we predicted would tear apartLeague 1 defences, and Drury we know is class. Rusty has been quietly impressive in a new position, but we have known his qualities.

I the end I have to choose between three, who I think are the greatest improvers -Martin (C), Lappin and Smith. I think in the end Korey just shades it - 18 at the start of the season, and an unknown to many of us, has become something of a giant. If we can hang on to him, he''ll surely be one of the first names to be pencilled in on the teamsheet each game.

Good question Salopian.

I think C Martin has finally delivered on the potential he showed 2 or 3 years ago. Great to see he has signed a new contract, could see him being the next big thing to leave NCFC for a derisory sum otherwise!

[quote user="Salopian"]I was aksing myself which player, in a very satisfactory season so far, has been the greatest surprise. We knew the reputation of Holt, - I live in Shropshire, and even Macnamee. Doc has come good again, Hooly we predicted would tear apartLeague 1 defences, and Drury we know is class. Rusty has been quietly impressive in a new position, but we have known his qualities. I the end I have to choose between three, who I think are the greatest improvers -Martin (C), Lappin and Smith. I think in the end Korey just shades it - 18 at the start of the season, and an unknown to many of us, has become something of a giant. If we can hang on to him, he''ll surely be one of the first names to be pencilled in on the teamsheet each game.[/quote]

Excellent question - I think it has to be Korey as he was virtually unknown at the start of the season but now I would worry if he wasn''t in the starting line up. We have definately missed him when he has not been there.

Smith without doubt, no real argument is there?Korey was mostly unknown to city fans until Lambert brought him in and he''s been a revelation ever since. Saturday he was outstanding in Russell''s role, doing it much better than Rusty it has to be said.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Smith without doubt, no real argument is there?

Korey was mostly unknown to city fans until Lambert brought him in and he''s been a revelation ever since. Saturday he was outstanding in Russell''s role, doing it much better than Rusty it has to be said.
[/quote]

It was Gunn who gave Korey Smith his chance and ironically it was Gunn who showed confidence in Lappin after Roeder had cold shouldered him for so long. Lambert has undoubtedly done a great job at Norwich but that doesn''t mean he should be blindly credited with all things good.

From what I remember Smith was no where to be seen against Col U, Exeter etc at the start of this season, Lambert brought him in for the Wycombe game in place of the excellent OTJ.

Didn''t genius Gunny play Smith right wing for a couple of sub appearances and Charlton away at the end of last season?

[quote user="Rick"]From what I remember Smith was no where to be seen against Col U, Exeter etc at the start of this season, Lambert brought him in for the Wycombe game in place of the excellent OTJ.

Didn''t genius Gunny play Smith right wing for a couple of sub appearances and Charlton away at the end of last season?[/quote]

He played in a midflield role against Charlton and, with Alan Lee, was IMO the most effective and committed player on the pitch. Didn''t genius Lambert drop Hoolahan, Rusty and Doherty ?! It must be difficult to be objective when you are so blinkered and dogmatic. I suppose you must be one of the "Lambert = all things good and Gunn = all things bad" brigade. I have high admiration of Lambert but that doesn''t mean that I can''t give credit to Gunn where credit is due.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I think you''ll find it was Gunn who totally froze Russell out.[/quote]

If he did and there was no good reason (wasn''t there unpleasantness over Russell demanding a move ?) then he was wrong...... in the same way that Lambert was wrong to drop the trio I mentioned and Hoolahan in particular, a decision he now accepts was wrong. No manager is a genius i.e. faultless, and Roeder certainly wasn''t. I recall Roeder playing Russell as a striker !

Oh here we go the Gunn lovers out in force again, whilst we thank him for bringing in Korey let''s thank him for bringing in Maric, Theo & Whalley, remind me of where they are, oh yes and OTJ & Wiggins ! And yer Gunn did play Korey againt Charlton, out of position but if he was in charge now Korey wouldn''t have got in front of his awsome signings OTJ, Gill, Hughes, thats why Korey was nowhere to be seen in the 1st couple of games this season ! And lets face it Lambert dropping Doc & Hoolanhan has been a blessing is disguise, at least this manager has a clue about what he''s doing !!!

[quote user="Rick"]From what I remember Smith was no where to be seen against Col U, Exeter etc at the start of this season, Lambert brought him in for the Wycombe game in place of the excellent OTJ.[/quote]

To be fair Korey Smith missed pretty much the whole of pre-season and was still playing catch up at that time, Gunn made lots of mistakes but it''s not fair criticising him for not selecting a player when said player wasn''t fit enough to play at that time.

[quote user="rjwc22"]Good question Salopian.

I think C Martin has finally delivered on the potential he showed 2 or 3 years ago. Great to see he has signed a new contract, could see him being the next big thing to leave NCFC for a derisory sum otherwise![/quote]

Agreed, thought himself above us by all accounts, Man ure were reported to be interested in him and that seemed to go to his head. Has come back and more than proved himself a true City player!

non matching fecking quotes"Oh here we go the Gunn lovers out in force again, whilst we thank him for bringing in Korey let''s thank him for bringing in Maric, Theo & Whalley, remind me of where they are, oh yes and OTJ & Wiggins ! And yer Gunn did play Korey againt Charlton, out of position but if he was in charge now Korey wouldn''t have got in front of his awsome signings OTJ, Gill, Hughes, thats why Korey was nowhere to be seen in the 1st couple of games this season ! And lets face it Lambert dropping Doc & Hoolanhan has been a blessing is disguise, at least this manager has a clue about what he''s doing !!!non-matching fecking quotes

Oh, here we go again, give Gunn a little bit of credit and some donkey comes out of the bushes neighing "Guuuunnn lover Guuuunnnn lover". As for Gunn''s signings, how about Holt, Askou, Hughes (a good player IMO) to balance the books. Show me a manager who han''t made some poor signings ?