Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Do you think Russel situation will help us on saturday?

Just been thinking that, prior to Rusty getting the red, the team was picking itself. But now with the team doing well and McNamee puting in a good shift  its now less of a certainty who will start.My point is, many on here talked of how we had become predictable with the Diamond and that teams were able to prepear for it, however with the team and formation being uncertain do you think it means we will have a better chance on saturday?

I always think with Russell in the side we are defensively stronger. If we presume Doc & Nelson will stay in the side, they will always benefit from Russell ahead of them. It''s a difficult call as who to drop to accomodate him. Huddersfield like to come forward with width, so a return to the diamond with McNamee dropping out could be the way as this is more flexible, or dropping Lappin to make the most of McNamees pace in the space that they leave.

If Drury is fit I expect him to replace Rose and we''ll go back to the diamond for sure as we look much harder to break down  that way. McNamee to give way initially but to be brought on to exploit space if thegame is tight. Attack could be the best form of defence as we move into the crucial final phase of the season. If we line up as 4-4-2 it could be a ding dong game!

away at huddersfield russel has to start. if it was stockport at home id say no, however his strength and style of play will be vital if we are to get the 3 points saturday. need to be more solid so would say mcnamee is the unlucky chap to drop out. he''ll provide a great option off the bench if needed, hopefully that wont be necessary tho!

This is really interesting. I think I''d be tempted with a 4-2-3-1 formation along the lines of

Martin Doc Nelson Drury/Rose

Smith   Russell

Martin Hoolahan McNamee

Holt

Huddersfield will be open and attacking. If we line up like that then we are backing our strikers to outscore theirs. If we''re looking to keep it tighter, then I imagine we''ll go back to the diamond, with Russell back at the base, Smith and Lappin right and left and Hoolahan at the top.We shall see...

Oh, and I''d add that whatever happens, Russell surely must play, and that we look hopeless every time we try 4-4-2. Just say no, Lambo.

The cool thing is, and my main point, is that they wont know what to expect either and so wont be able to full prepeare for it either!

Rusty for McNamee for me. But its a very difficult decision. I am glad Lambert is the one making it.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

[quote user="morty"]I think Rusty should play.Isn''t it nice to have options?[:)][/quote]

Can we name 11 subs?

[/quote]Hehehe.Can you actually remember the last time, before this season where you could look to the bench and actually have someone worth bringing on, that was likely to have an impact on the game?