Sign in to follow this  
linco88

lets hope not

On the TV this evening it was stated that Southend could face a winding up order this week.

That would be bad news for us the rules dictate that points gained from games against a club

Going out of business are deducted. I think this would wipe out our advantage over Leeds.

Best hope it doesn’t happen.

Or have I got this wrong.

Only way they can get out of this if you are a premier league with someone who can con thier way out of court. Or perhaps Cowling will lend them £10mil

[quote user="linco88"]On the TV this evening it was stated that Southend could face a winding up order this week. That would be bad news for us the rules dictate that points gained from games against a club Going out of business are deducted. I think this would wipe out our advantage over Leeds. Best hope it doesn’t happen. Or have I got this wrong.[/quote]

If Portsmouth are taken as the precedent then the league will try to keep Southend going until the end of the season. I would be amazed if they got chucked out of the league.

This cannot possibly be correct? We didn''t battle our way down an epically jammed A13 for 3 hours to an alcohol dry chav town on a freezing night to have an entirely pointless trip points wise. We fielded a professionally prepared squad and risked injury for those points. They''re ours! It''s hardly NCFC''s fault they can''t organise themselves is it?

Chester City having been thrown out of the Conference has led to the decision to remove all their results and hence adjust the points totals of all clubs who have played them this season. Expect the same if Southend go down the tubes. It''s the only fair way.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]0-0 at Southend.  Yet to play them at Elland Road.
[/quote]

Blimey if those scores are correct and this happens if they beat Tranmere Tuesday they will be 2 points above us and a better goal difference. Woulnt think it is likely to happen though as surely bookmakers would have suspended betting on Leeds to win title.

I don''t know about other sports but this rule of points deduction applies in league darts if a pub team drop out of the league part-way through for whatever reason. It''s a very contentious situation. One year our team lost 9 points when another dropped out as the pub closed and they couldn''t find another pub to take them on. Made a lot of difference at the end of the season. We ended up runners-up instead of winners that year.

Truth is if a winding up order is issued they cease to exist as a business, nothing to do with the fa keeping them going.

Some of the older people on here will remember Aldershot going down the tubes a few years ago, and either Barrow or Workington doing the same back in the 50s or 60s. Its going to happen to a club one day soon although Southend''s case I think is more of a misunderstanding and (up to now) won''t pay than cant.

However if they do go, the only fair way is to put them in 24th and wipe their results from the season. Yes we''ll be hit in comparison but thats life. Losing 6 points isnt as bad as losing your club

[quote user="cityislife"]No news of this anywhere, pure speculation.
[/quote]

They are due back in court if I remember they were ordered back within 28 days the same day Portsmouth got 7 days. However the latest news from their chairman does not suggest future problems ( dont just read the headline )

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6010226,00.html

I must say however although they keep saying it is a misunderstanding I also thought their players have not been paid for 2 months.

[quote user="PUPs are Citys future ...Norwich"]Surely that''s very unfair, there must be a fairer way to resolve the matter?[/quote]I don''t see what''s unfair about it.  If a club goes out of business then all their results are wiped out, as if they never happened.  That can, of course, have a drastic effect on the league table but that''s just one of those things.  I guarantee that, were ourselves and Leeds to swap places, nobody here would complain in that case.Although saying that I think this is extremely unlikely to happen so this is all academic.

I don’t believe it will happen either, I just thought it would make a good what if thread.

What a twist to the season it would make, as I indicated in the thread title let’s hope not.

Who cares if Leeds go 2 opints clear of us? They''ll just draw a few more games & we''ll catch up again. They''re not THAT good!!

[quote user="K Lo"]Who cares if Leeds go 2 opints clear of us? They''ll just draw a few more games & we''ll catch up again. They''re not THAT good!![/quote]

And we''d have a game in hand on them.

35 days... we could be quite abit further clear of Leeds by then! Im not going to worry about it just yet.

Leeds play Southend again on Saturday 10th April, so that falls within the 35 days.Most on Waccoe seem to be wishing the worst on Southend. Lovely bunch.

''Wound Up'' has more than one context. I think it either describes the terminal act in insolvency proceedings, or they way most City fans feel as we approach the business end of the season!

Posting on either subject can be described as ''Winding Up.'' ie ''To Wind someone Up'' or ''To allow oneself to become Wound Up.''

Relax all.

[quote user="Penfold"]Leeds play Southend again on Saturday 10th April, so that falls within the 35 days.Most on Waccoe seem to be wishing the worst on Southend. Lovely bunch.

[/quote]Such a charming bunch aren''t they ?