Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

And still the Martin haters are calling Canary call

It was great to see us firing on at least five cylinders, if not six at times today. I thought it was an excellent team effort with everyone contributing. We looked solid at the back with Rose having his best game for a while and Doc and Nelson dominant. Korey was immense and MOM by a distance in my opinion, McNamee got some good delivery into the box and actually tackled back effectively. All in all our players were hunting in packs today and never allowed Yeovil to settle. What''s more our strike force all hit the net and played off each other like they were doing earlier in the season.

All in all, you would expect that everything in the garden was rosy, but not, apparently , if you were the final caller on Canary Call tonight. "I thought Chris Martin was a bit lazy today Neil " was enough to get my blood boiling, but he then went on to bemoan the fact that Chris scored as it would make it harder for Lambert to leave him out, but then concluded that he should do so anyway to "give Oli a run". After all, the lad''s only scored 20 this season, set up several others and carried the forward line during Holty''s suspension.

Do these people actually have ANY idea about the game?

No.. clearly they don''t lol. Chrissy''s been immense this season, I wouldn''t drop him.

[quote user="Lambo"]No.. clearly they don''t lol. Chrissy''s been immense this season, I wouldn''t drop him.[/quote]

Martin is a top notch striker in this league and will do well for us next season if we go up. Lots of strikers could be accused by some of looking lazy at times, there is a faction of our  support that seem to think playing football is about running around like a blue arse fly for 90minutes. As a striker you expend your energy at the right time and Chris does that pretty well most of the time. 

[quote user="Lambo"]No.. clearly they don''t lol. Chrissy''s been immense this season, I wouldn''t drop him.[/quote]

Martin is a top notch striker in this league and will do well for us next season if we go up. Lots of strikers could be accused by some of looking lazy at times, there is a faction of our  support that seem to think playing football is about running around like a blue arse fly for 90minutes. As a striker you expend your energy at the right time and Chris does that pretty well most of the time. 

I thought Martin was below par for much of todays game but then again look at his end product - he scored and is now on 20 goals!!

He should stay in without any doubt, but if hes slack then we''ve got decent replacements to put on!

[quote user="Iwan Roberts Dentist"]It took him until March to get 20 goals. Rubbish! Drop him immeadiatly![/quote]

Off with his head!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

It was great to see us firing on at least five cylinders, if not six at times today. I thought it was an excellent team effort with everyone contributing. We looked solid at the back with Rose having his best game for a while and Doc and Nelson dominant. Korey was immense and MOM by a distance in my opinion, McNamee got some good delivery into the box and actually tackled back effectively. All in all our players were hunting in packs today and never allowed Yeovil to settle. What''s more our strike force all hit the net and played off each other like they were doing earlier in the season.

All in all, you would expect that everything in the garden was rosy, but not, apparently , if you were the final caller on Canary Call tonight. "I thought Chris Martin was a bit lazy today Neil " was enough to get my blood boiling, but he then went on to bemoan the fact that Chris scored as it would make it harder for Lambert to leave him out, but then concluded that he should do so anyway to "give Oli a run". After all, the lad''s only scored 20 this season, set up several others and carried the forward line during Holty''s suspension.

[/quote]Plus, I''m pretty sure he headed the ball for Holt''s goal, and also put Holt through for a one on one when he missed an open goal. I''ll freely admit it wasn''t Martin''s best game, but what more can he do other than set people up and score goals?! I also saw one or two very good turns today, and some lovely skill on the ball. I think if he had scored 40 this season he would not be able to win over some fans, much like with the Doc.Also, last time Oli started, what did he do exactly?

No need to worry as Paul Lambert is the manager. He does not listen to the phone in. He does know that Chris Martin is a goal scorer with a style of play that some misunderstand. Lazy no, but talented and confident of his own ability Chris is. Long may he be so.

How can anyone say Martin had a good game? I do like him and I don''t like criticising him, but he was poor today. But hopefully the goal and his ovation when coming off will bring his head back up.

Unfortunately like WACCOE we have our fair share of idiots.It seems that if you run around like a meerkat on speed and contribute little to the game you are a candidate for player of the season. But, if you make IMPORTANT contributions to the game, you are considered lazy.Does anyone think that Leeds, Colchester or Charlton would die to have Chris Martin in their squad at the moment?

[quote user="Henry"]Unfortunately like WACCOE we have our fair share of idiots.

It seems that if you run around like a meerkat on speed and contribute little to the game you are a candidate for player of the season. But, if you make IMPORTANT contributions to the game, you are considered lazy.

Does anyone think that Leeds, Colchester or Charlton would die to have Chris Martin in their squad at the moment?
[/quote]

Absolutely

Chris Martin has a languid style which has him looking a bit off the pace at times - he doesn''t win many headers but when he does it usually leads to something significant. Not a busy day for him today but he scored again and remains effective.

20 goals (+ plenty of assists) in any professional league around the world should be enough to be considered effective!

But not to some on Canary Call?...

[quote user="Henry"]Unfortunately like WACCOE we have our fair share of idiots.

It seems that if you run around like a meerkat on speed and contribute little to the game you are a candidate for player of the season. But, if you make IMPORTANT contributions to the game, you are considered lazy.

Does anyone think that Leeds, Colchester or Charlton would die to have Chris Martin in their squad at the moment?
[/quote]

I don''t know if your talking about Smith there but it sounds like you are.  Yes he runs like ''a meerkat on speed'' but he also has all the other talents and grit and determination to be in firm contention for the Barry Butler trophy.  He is a promising young talent and if all you see is his running then you clearly know nothing about football.

Back to Martin, is he lazy? Yes, 100%.  However that is his style and how can you moan when he has scored 20 goals.  He is a natural finisher and will score goals for the rest of his career and if he is lazy while doing that then so be it.  Earnshaw was lazy, no one moaned about him not tracking back did they?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]I was going to phone up Canary Call tonight to sing Chris Martin''s praises, but I couldn''t be bothered.

A large percentage of CC callers are dimwits.

Let them talk long enough and they totally contradict themselves.

Some just regurgitate comments they have heard elsewhere.

Many dont even attend games.

Did Martin play the ball though for Holt when he missed the sitter in the first half ? If he did it was a great pass. This would mean an assist (almost) and a goal. No , Leeds and Colchester wouldn''t want him in the team or his 20 goals. They would much rather have Lisbie and Dichio. Jeez.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I have a feeling that Martin will never be accepted and addored by some. Shame.[/quote]

I know. I must say I am relieved to see this thread as everyone round me today were moaning at him!! The guy behind me in the Barclay Upper criticised everything he did today, even if he wasnt involved in the move/attack!!!! Gods sake shut up...

[quote user="chub"]He is very lazy without the ball,FACT!but he is a very good finisher[/quote]It''s not laziness.  Watch Match of the Day, and listen to the analysis of the top forwards, Slaven Bilic made some good comments on Craig Bellamy a couple of weeks ago I think.  Top forwards like Bellamy will often create space for themselves when defenders are tracking back by ambling in at a slower pace.  It''s not laziness, it is called thinking a move ahead and creating an option.

[quote]It seems that if you run around like a meerkat on speed and contribute

little to the game you are a candidate for player of the season. But,

if you make IMPORTANT contributions to the game, you are considered

lazy.[/quote]I would agree, but then I remember HOOZE...

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="chub"]He is very lazy without the ball,FACT!but he is a very good finisher[/quote]

It''s not laziness.  Watch Match of the Day, and listen to the analysis of the top forwards, Slaven Bilic made some good comments on Craig Bellamy a couple of weeks ago I think.  Top forwards like Bellamy will often create space for themselves when defenders are tracking back by ambling in at a slower pace.  It''s not laziness, it is called thinking a move ahead and creating an option.

[/quote]

Exactly. His critics seem to think you have to run around like a headless chicken to be classified as NOT lazy.

Was actually just making a statement in general and not really

implying anyone,... as for Korey ... breath of fresh air and the man

that makes Lamberts midfield work as well as it does [Y]Sorry couldnt work the quotes as the forum is being a touch temperamental [;)]

[quote user="NCFCWebbo"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="chub"]He is very lazy without the ball,FACT!but he is a very good finisher[/quote]It''s not laziness.  Watch Match of the Day, and listen to the analysis of the top forwards, Slaven Bilic made some good comments on Craig Bellamy a couple of weeks ago I think.  Top forwards like Bellamy will often create space for themselves when defenders are tracking back by ambling in at a slower pace.  It''s not laziness, it is called thinking a move ahead and creating an option.[/quote]

Exactly. His critics seem to think you have to run around like a headless chicken to be classified as NOT lazy.

[/quote]To me it suggests that Martin reads the game very well - fitness permitting, could he be a lower league version of Teddy Sheringham, with the longevity that Teddy enjoyed ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="NCFCWebbo"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="chub"]He is very lazy without the ball,FACT!but he is a very good finisher[/quote]

It''s not laziness.  Watch Match of the Day, and listen to the analysis of the top forwards, Slaven Bilic made some good comments on Craig Bellamy a couple of weeks ago I think.  Top forwards like Bellamy will often create space for themselves when defenders are tracking back by ambling in at a slower pace.  It''s not laziness, it is called thinking a move ahead and creating an option.

[/quote]

[/quote]

To me it suggests that Martin reads the game very well - fitness permitting, could he be a lower league version of Teddy Sheringham, with the longevity that Teddy enjoyed ?
[/quote]

Yes, thats it for me. I think he reads the game and will drop off his defender, like I saw he did a few times today, and isnt a run-around, all action Grant Holt type player, and never will be. They have different styles, and I think Martins style is picked up by some fans as laziness, but I believe this to be totally unfair. I personally think he is very hard working and a clever striker.