Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

Carrow Road closures after matches

It would be interesting to know how many are concerned for their own safety or are representing "other less able fans".

Perhaps we could form our own group with safety marshalls. Meet after games, split into directional groups, pair off, volunteers to wear bibs, whistles and torches (I''m sure we''d have a few takers for such an important position).

I do believe there is an issue but it is not immediate, or at the scale the scare mongerers want us to panic at. I believe it would be adequate for electronic signage around certain roads warning drivers of the presence of large numbers of fans, even counting down the minutes, and advising them to divert, slow down, prepare to stop and wait. Believe it or not, not everyone is aware when football is on or how to avoid it. 

[quote user="The gut"]

It would be interesting to know how many are concerned for their own safety or are representing "other less able fans".

Perhaps we could form our own group with safety marshalls. Meet after games, split into directional groups, pair off, volunteers to wear bibs, whistles and torches (I''m sure we''d have a few takers for such an important position).

I do believe there is an issue but it is not immediate, or at the scale the scare mongerers want us to panic at. I believe it would be adequate for electronic signage around certain roads warning drivers of the presence of large numbers of fans, even counting down the minutes, and advising them to divert, slow down, prepare to stop and wait. Believe it or not, not everyone is aware when football is on or how to avoid it. 

[/quote]

You are Joe Ferrari - and I claim my free ride on a match-day on one of the ''car park to stadium'' (and return) golf carts....Can I press the horn and turn the orange flashy light on and off?

I think if you are daft enough to drive down there at the end of a match you deserve to be held up. If you sound your horn repeatedly expect some foul language

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="The gut"]Who are doing this for Webbo? Are you representing anyone?[/quote]

Could you ask again please, preferably in understandable English this time. "Who are doing this for Webbo" - what are you asking?

[/quote]

As soon as I posted it I realised ..... you can put it down to poor typing and computer skills than english ability.....but in my own stupidity I thought any idiot could work it out ....Who are YOU doing this for Webbo? 

I''m starting to form a pretty clear picture in my head.

[/quote]

If you''re not interested in people''s safety or the closure of carrow road, then ignore the thread because thats what its about.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="The gut"]Who are doing this for Webbo? Are you representing anyone?[/quote]

Could you ask again please, preferably in understandable English this time. "Who are doing this for Webbo" - what are you asking?

[/quote]

As soon as I posted it I realised ..... you can put it down to poor typing and computer skills than english ability.....but in my own stupidity I thought any idiot could work it out ....Who are YOU doing this for Webbo? 

I''m starting to form a pretty clear picture in my head.

[/quote]

If you''re not interested in people''s safety or the closure of carrow road, then ignore the thread because thats what its about.

[/quote]

That''s a good idea. If someone disagrees with the thread title then they''re not allowed to comment. If only I was aware of the rules earlier. I am concerned about peoples safety, I don''t think closing Carrow Rd is neccessary, what should I do CA? I feel quite strongly that the resultant cost (which I will have to contribute to one way or another) could be better used but have nowhere to air my views, oh well guess my only option is to join the bandwagon. All the world''s dictators really have missed a trick all they need to do is set up a message board policed by CA and all the rebels will have to fall into line. I really do hope everyone got home safely today, and I mean it! 

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

You are Joe Ferrari - and I claim my free ride on a match-day on one of the ''car park to stadium'' (and return) golf carts....Can I press the horn and turn the orange flashy light on and off?

[/quote]

If I was in charge mello I''d even let you take it home as a perk of the job.

Yesterday two "ladies" repeatedly sounded their horn as they drove along Carrow Road. They were a class act, throwing their dog ends out of the window and gesturing at the City fans. It''s possible they had just left off working in Kings Street.

The funny thing was that we were actually walking faster than they could drive so the whole thing seemed utterly pointless.

If everyone stays cool and sensible I think we can manage?

[quote user="The gut"] If someone disagrees with the thread title then they''re not allowed to comment. If only I was aware of the rules earlier. [/quote]

Then disagree and make a case for yourself instead of these silly comments which don''t add anything to a discussion

[quote user="The gut"]Instead of letters and emails to all and sundry maybe some supporters should just ask their mums and dads to hold their hands all the way home.[/quote]

[quote user="The gut"]you see fit that everybody else has to take responsibility, bear the cost, and have their time wasted because of your moronic over reaction and idiotic inability to get out of a stadium safely. If we can name call because we disagree then you a right f***in poof. Wise up and take some self responsibility. [/quote]

Its amazing how many people in the City get riled when going down Carrow Road and they had no idea their was a home match going on!

That said, their needs to be a proper pedestrian crossing with traffic lights (one that operates on match days only) opposite the swimming pool and club shop so that evry thing moves along smoothly.

I dont see the issue if people just use some common sense why is anyone going to be hit or die?I thought we were all taught stop look and listen at school or has this been dropped now?

[quote user="Jakey boy"]I dont see the issue if people just use some common sense why is anyone going to be hit or die?
I thought we were all taught stop look and listen at school or has this been dropped now?
[/quote]

I had to leave ''early'' yesterday - right on the 90 mins so I didn''t see any stoppage time. By the time I got out of the ground (heading towards the railway bridge) the paths were already full and several people were walking and running along the road. 4 cars came out of the exit next to the hotel (off the club car park? - and you know who you are including Mr/Mrs personalised number plate) and totally floored it along the road. In my book that not driving at a speed that suits the conditions. It just makes more sense to close the road as people and cars are not a good mix.

Its amazing how many people in the City get riled when going down

Carrow Road and they had no idea their was a home match going on!I agree grantroederdisaster. How can people live in a city with a stadium such as Carrow Road and not check to see if events are on. Years ago before I was a City supporter we had boating holidys on the Broads. My mum always checked to see if there was a match on in case our route to the boat-yard needed avoid the roads around the ground. My mum''s not a footie fan, just a sensible person who realised, even back then, that a football match = lots of traffic and people.It never ceases to amaze me how many locals ignore the fact that Carrow Road is a football stadium which holds football matches (and other events) and that means there will be lots of traffic and people about in the vicinity on match-days. Even if the roads don''t get closed, perhaps there should be drop-down signs (like they had to shut the roads) advising people there will be a mass of people exiting the ground (with times) so to drive accordingly or take an alternative route as traffic will be slow.

If some fans are not capable of crossing/walking down the road safely, natural selection rules will apply thus improving the average IQ at CR in the future

So how many people have been injured so far? None? Big issue eh?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="The gut"] If someone disagrees with the thread title then they''re not allowed to comment. If only I was aware of the rules earlier. [/quote]

Then disagree and make a case for yourself instead of these silly comments which don''t add anything to a discussion

[quote user="The gut"]Instead of letters and emails to all and sundry maybe some supporters should just ask their mums and dads to hold their hands all the way home.[/quote]

[quote user="The gut"]you see fit that everybody else has to take responsibility, bear the cost, and have their time wasted because of your moronic over reaction and idiotic inability to get out of a stadium safely. If we can name call because we disagree then you a right f***in poof. Wise up and take some self responsibility. [/quote]

[/quote]

Come on cityangel, you can''t stop people from making a point in a lighthearted manner as well as your other new rules. The first one was simply to highlight the over reaction, nothing sinister, and whether you like it or not i think it did that. The next one only copied the insult of idiotic and moronic which I had been called. I know I shouldn''t because 2 wrongs don''t make a right but in trying to out do the the insult I thought right f***in poof would suffice, but it was contained within some reasoned points. I don''t really want to get picky but you haven''t offered much in the way of a case have you, if I recall it was something like simply guessing we''d have to wait for someone to get hit by a car before something happened. I hope it''s not just one rule for you and another for me. 

I thought webbo was going to be the one fighting to be in charge of the bibs, torches and whistles but you do seem intent on being chief shepherd.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Come on cityangel, you can''t stop people from making a point in a lighthearted manner as well as your other new rules. The first one was simply to highlight the over reaction, nothing sinister, and whether you like it or not i think it did that. The next one only copied the insult of idiotic and moronic which I had been called. I know I shouldn''t because 2 wrongs don''t make a right but in trying to out do the the insult I thought right f***in poof would suffice, but it was contained within some reasoned points. I don''t really want to get picky but you haven''t offered much in the way of a case have you, if I recall it was something like simply guessing we''d have to wait for someone to get hit by a car before something happened. I hope it''s not just one rule for you and another for me. 

I thought webbo was going to be the one fighting to be in charge of the bibs, torches and whistles but you do seem intent on being chief shepherd.

[/quote]

Are you a ''No win, no fee'' solicitor?.......Hoping for a slice of the action around the roads of Carra at full-time?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Are you a ''No win, no fee'' solicitor?.......Hoping for a slice of the action around the roads of Carra at full-time?

[/quote]

No, I''ve been hit but not substantially enough for me to claim, so I don''t want to reduce my chances of  one in the future

There are some fans like myself who have walking difficulties, and after the match it can be a lil scary crossing the road.Now i travel in by train every home game just so i do my lil bit for green issues,and i do sit in the river end (because i want to) with my 2 teenage sons.I think that a 15 min road closure after the match has ended would make the journey not only for myself but others a safer one.But we have to remember that cars travel on roads,they have a right to be on the road even if we are leaving carrow road after a match.We dont as pedestrians have "Right of way" when their is no pedestrian crossing avaible.

But i do think that a little common sense from the council,the football club,and the supporters (a debate maybe) together we could come up with a solution to the problem before somone gets hurt or worse.Just a thought!

An excellent post and I totally agree about a little common sense from the interested parties. Let''s hope it is not too much to expect.

A welcome departure from a suggestion by "The Gut" to take your mother and father with you so that they can hold your hand !

So who paid for the traffic wardens who closed the roads in previous seasons? Neither crowd size nor road conditions have changed, so i don''t see there being any case for the club to have to stump up money to shut the roads (unless of course we made a contribution last year).

Both the Council and Police manage to waste millions each year on offices full of pencil pushers. Let them find the money to finance traffic wardens for a couple of hours every other Saturday. Once more, well played McNally for resisting this nonsense. This has nothing to do with ''common sense'', and everything to do with public sector institutions being unable to control their resources adequately.

Personally, i really don''t see what the big issue is. For 3/4 of a season there''s been no serious incidents that i know of. Yes some people might drive like idiots outside the ground, but go to the City Centre any night of the week and you''ll see worse. No doubt those making such a fuss about this issue are the same people who were so incensed that we dared to play a game whilst there was a sprinkling of snow on the ground a few weeks ago! Whether your elderly, able bodied or disabled, you make your own decisions based on your own circumstances. I walk with my son to and from the ground each game, and there isn''t one iota of danger.

You are wrong and misguided in just about everything you say.

1) The Club paid in previous seasons and has been making "contributions" for many years.

2) It''s nonsense to expect to be able to arrive at and leave matches in a safe manner is it?

3) I personally have witnessed a number of near misses involving cars, buses and HGVs.

4) The Club (as an Events Organiser) has a statutory obligation to produce a Traffic Management Plan and, to the best of my knowledge, has not done so this season.

5) I wasn''t aware that anyone had been incensed by playing a game with a sprinkling of snow. As far as I am concerned, a match should be played whenever possible, particularly at Colchester when I am getting soaked to the skin!

6) I am reasonably confident that I am able to remain safe as I have seen some of the potential dangers and do what I can to avoid them. However, complacency often plays a major part in tragic events and I see little point in changing procedures that have operated successfully for countless years merely to save a few pounds. I have been advised that the saving the Club has made is sufficient to pay the wages of ONE FIRST TEAM PLAYER FOR ONE WEEK.  

I can see both sides of the argument however those that bemoan the waste of money that this would be seem to assume that everyone is as able bodied and traffic aware as they are. In fact there are a large number of supporters who are able bodied before the game but like a few beers! - alcohol, pedestrians and cars don''t mix well.

I am perfectly able to look after myself but found myself this week, with others, walking in between moving traffic and brushing wing mirrors. Why? Because the road was full of pedestrians and all of a sudden cars are driving straight through the crowd.

It is a matter of time before an incident happens, maybe not serious, but unless the club sort this out it will.

[quote user="cosmos67"].But we have to remember that cars travel on roads,they have a right to be on the road even if we are leaving carrow road after a match.We dont as pedestrians have "Right of way" when their is no pedestrian crossing avaible. [/quote]

May I suggest you check the Highway Code. 

Pedestrians use to have right of way over cars, once you have stepped on the highway (crossing or no crossing).

[quote user="Webbo118"]

4) The Club (as an Events Organiser) has a statutory obligation to produce a Traffic Management Plan and, to the best of my knowledge, has not done so this season.

[/quote]

Didn''t traffic management, parking etc. move from the police to the City Council within the city area?

If I am right on this then over to Norwich City Council..........

[quote user="crab"] Yes some people might drive like idiots outside the ground, but go to the City Centre any night of the week and you''ll see worse. [/quote]

Quite probably so, but there are not 20000 + people trying to get home there.

Seeing some of the drunken jaywalkers they probably wouldn''t feel it if they were hit, and theres always the SOS bus.

I did check mister fixed asset and your wrong..........the only time a pedestrian has right of way over a motor vehicle when not using a crossing is when a stop sign is in use at junction or your crossing a junction on foot and your already in the road at the time of crossing ...........so me thinks u better go read the highway code its amazing what you can learn

Lollipop Men is the answer.

Like School Crossing Patrols only for Football Fans and not School Children. We could have Highway Code information in the matchday programmes and Tufty Club Meetings in The Barclay at halftime.

Thousands of School Children manage to get home safely each day with the help of the Lollipop Men so I don''t see why it shouldn''t work for Football Fans. The Lollipop Men should be volunteers from the older section of our support. It would give these new patrols a Dads Army flavour. Any volunteers?