Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

Carrow Road closures after matches

Here is the latest from the council on this. I think I have read it right and the shops dont pay for the marshalls.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/eveningnews24/norwich-news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=xNews&itemid=NOED04%20Mar%202010%2007%3A39%3A44%3A583

My view is what do we pay our council tax for then?. As much as I feel the club should stick to its guns there is also a major safety issue and the fallout from an accident will not be welcome. Again my take ( sure there will be other opinions ) is that the club are being held to ransom - however in the interests of safety should we pay up? or should the council look at the extra revenue it makes on a match day ie parking costs ect. Whatever the outcome this issue should be resolved immediately in the interests of safety.

If it was any other event ie music concert then we would expect the promoters to pay.

Sad that it has come to some idiot councillor making veiled threats of looking again at allowing the club to play. No council would even attempt to close the club so that is a silly, empty threat. From a silly empty headed idiot.

Why not meet each other halfway and each pay part of the marshall''s costs.

Better still, just shoot a few motorists from the roof of Carrow Road ...... that''ll learn ''em !

Are there other football clubs or sporting venues around the country that have road closures before and after events? Carrow Road cannot be the only stadium in the country where supporters come streaming out after a match onto busy roads.If so, how are they paid for?Might be worth looking into.

This is just another issue where if everyone used common sense and courtesy there would not be an issue at all and it is correct that not all clubs or councils close roads on match days. I have seen some near misses but these have in no small part been down to individuals drivers and pedestrians who act irresponsibly  

I''m not being funny, but the amount of people I see who just walk straight onto the road without even looking to see if there might just happen to be a car driving on the ROAD!

There is pedestrian crossings down at the Morrisons end of Carrow Road and an Island in the middle of the road towards the bridge, I know it’s stupid to expect 25,000 people to use a couple of crossing, but a little bit of common sense wouldn’t go a miss.

The people who just walk out onto the road always seem to think that they’re in the right. I’m sorry, but if I started driving down the pavement I’d be expecting pedestrians to shout abuse at me!

[quote user="Slim"]

I''m not being funny, but the amount of people I see who just walk straight onto the road without even looking to see if there might just happen to be a car driving on the ROAD!

There is pedestrian crossings down at the Morrisons end of Carrow Road and an Island in the middle of the road towards the bridge, I know it’s stupid to expect 25,000 people to use a couple of crossing, but a little bit of common sense wouldn’t go a miss.

The people who just walk out onto the road always seem to think that they’re in the right. I’m sorry, but if I started driving down the pavement I’d be expecting pedestrians to shout abuse at me!

[/quote]

How much would it cost to install barriers at either end of the ground that are lockable, job sorted. you don''t need anyone to marshall traffic.

I have raised this matter with local M.P.s Charles Clarke and Norman Lamb. It has been passed , for guidance, to Gerry Sutcliffe (Minister for Sport). I have also had discussions with officials from the Club, the Police, Norfolk County Council and Norwich City Council.

All parties are intent on passing the responsibility onto someone else. It is like a game of pass the parcel and no-one wants to be holding it when the music stops. Quite frankly, I am appalled with the attitude of all concerned, not least the officials of our beloved Club. Are they really going to wait until someone is badly injured or, worse still, killed. Perhaps they are content to merely follow that policy!

Suggest everyone gets their letters in to the paper putting their views across - have sent mine

Our previous Chief Executive may have displayed high levels of incompetence in a number of areas but at least he didn''t allow something like this to happen where the Club apparently is showing a complete disregard for the safety of the people they continue to regularly praise, i.e. the supporters.  

Webbo and Jem ( and others ) you have obviously gone into this very deeply already. Which party is in the right? or are they both responsible for certain parts of this?. My head says that yes the club should be responsible in the ground - however where are the lines drawn outside - again my head is telling me the roads and closures should be the councils responsibility.  

[quote user="Slim"]

[/quote]You''ve answered your own complaint though really, the fact is 25,000 people coming out of a stadium at the same time have to go somewhere and it is blatantly obvious that they can not all fit on the pavement.  I always walk on the road, not because I think I have some sort of right, but because it makes sense when you are trying to actually get somewhere.  It''s stupid to think that everyone should stick to the pavements at the end of the game, simple mathematics would show you it is quite simply not possible unless you want to be hanging around in endless queues of people at the end of the match.

[quote user="kevin brighton"]This is just another issue where if everyone used common sense and courtesy there would not be an issue at all and it is correct that not all clubs or councils close roads on match days. I have seen some near misses but these have in no small part been down to individuals drivers and pedestrians who act irresponsibly  [/quote]

Well said. Mind you the drivers in question should have another look at the Highway Code and see who has priority!

[quote user="Slim"]

[/quote]

Pedestrians need to use common sense but once they are on the highway I thought pedestrians had right of way over cars (unless of course somebody has changed the Highway Code).

Oops thats the artic truck just running over someone..........

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Slim"]

[/quote]

How much would it cost to install barriers at either end of the ground that are lockable, job sorted. you don''t need anyone to marshall traffic.

[/quote]

£2 million quid if the councils are involved.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

I have raised this matter with local M.P.s Charles Clarke and Norman Lamb. It has been passed , for guidance, to Gerry Sutcliffe (Minister for Sport). I have also had discussions with officials from the Club, the Police, Norfolk County Council and Norwich City Council.

All parties are intent on passing the responsibility onto someone else. It is like a game of pass the parcel and no-one wants to be holding it when the music stops.

[/quote]

What do you expect?

Try Virgin Media and attempt to get  a response re. the Late Kick it off program.....they haven''t got a clue either!

[quote user="Webbo118"]Our previous Chief Executive may have displayed high levels of incompetence in a number of areas but at least he didn''t allow something like this to happen where the Club apparently is showing a complete disregard for the safety of the people they continue to regularly praise, i.e. the supporters.  [/quote]

1) At the back of the Barclay near Morrisons - may i suggest people obey the light signals for pedestrians as that would solve one problem.

2) Back of the Barclay near the hotel - do the lights indicate when pedestrians should cross - if so that would solve another problem,

Its no good people going on about these crossings if pedestrian crossing lights are at both - just obey them!

THATS TWO COST FREE SOLUTIONS.

3) The police need to be persuaded to use of their constables who normally stand around at the corner of the Morgue stand and River End stand to be proactive and spend 15 minutes on crossing patrol to allow people to cross Riverside. Its no good people saying its not our job (administrators), its time for the local police to manage the situation at that point.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Slim"]

[/quote]

You''ve answered your own complaint though really, the fact is 25,000 people coming out of a stadium at the same time have to go somewhere and it is blatantly obvious that they can not all fit on the pavement.  I always walk on the road, not because I think I have some sort of right, but because it makes sense when you are trying to actually get somewhere.  It''s stupid to think that everyone should stick to the pavements at the end of the game, simple mathematics would show you it is quite simply not possible unless you want to be hanging around in endless queues of people at the end of the match.
[/quote]

But when the pedestrian lights on the traffic lights turn green.............there can be a human tidal wave crossing together. 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"][quote user="Webbo118"]

All parties are intent on passing the responsibility onto someone else. It is like a game of pass the parcel and no-one wants to be holding it when the music stops.

[/quote]

What do you expect?

What I expect as a right and what I expect in reality are frequently two very different things

If NCFC actually cared about its support....At full-time, they would allow the away fans to vacate the ground before the home fans - so that they could get knocked over first!

In the EDP article it does not mention the closure of Carrow Road upto the railway bridge.

It is sheer stupidity to allow traffic to pass through while 25000 people are trying to get out. It is obviously a financial issue as it was never a problem to do this last year or the year before when we were in  a higher league.

No doubt someone will have to be killed or seriously injured, before all parties can say ''we will have to learn form this''. Just to save you all parties the trouble can I just say it always used to be closed, close it now before someone has to pay the ultimate price. Whatever it costs it''s far cheaper than someones life.

If NCFC actually cared about its support, at full-time, they would allow the away supporters to vacate Carra before the home fans.

So that they could get knocked over first.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

If NCFC actually cared about its support, at full-time, they would allow the away supporters to vacate Carra before the home fans.

So that they could get knocked over first.

[/quote]

What you mean is use them as a warm up for the main event - the home supporters.

What you mean is use them as a warm up for the main event - the knocking over of the home supporters.

Its all about money, the football club pay the police to ''marshall'' football fans and traffic, because we are league one club, we don''t have as much money, and will pay the police the minimum.  I think it will change if we get promoted, or sadly an accident happens.  The crowd attendances haven''t changed, the budget has.

Is anyone else finding it impossible to get into this thread? It seems to terminate after Mello Yello''s post last night.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Is anyone else finding it impossible to get into this thread? It seems to terminate after Mello Yello''s post last night.[/quote]I replied this morning:Its all about money, the football club pay the police to ''marshall''

football fans and traffic, because we are league one club, we don''t

have as much money, and will pay the police the minimum.  I think it

will change if we get promoted, or sadly an accident happens.  The

crowd attendances haven''t changed, the budget has.