Sign in to follow this  
The Crag

Swindon aweay

Can''t manage to find train tickets cheaper than £42 is this pretty much the going rate or has anyone got it any cheaper?

The trick is to just buy the tickets from norwich-london and then london-swindon seperately. We got two singles from norwich to London for about £20 and then London to Swindon cost about £15.

You can get good deals if in a group of 4 by buying GroupSave tickets (4 travel for the price of 2).  As ncfc4life said, it''s also cheaper to break the journey and buy tickets for Norwich - London then London - Swindon.  You can reduce the price even more by buying London - Didcot, Didcot - Swindon, but you must make sure that the train you''re travelling on call at Didcot (most do).  It looks like the best priced advance fares have all gone now, so getting in a group looks to be the best bet.  GroupSave tickets can be bought up until the day of travel.The Capital Canaries are using the 11:30 from Paddington and the 18:04 from Swindon.  Our trip with 32 tickets at £5 each return has sold out, so should be a good number of City fans on those trains.

[quote] It looks like the best priced advance fares have all gone now, so

getting in a group looks to be the best bet.[/quote]It sounds like someone could knock up a web page with a form to help away supporters to join such a group.  I wonder how far ahead you''d have to commit to being in such a group to get the best deals ?

It all really depends on where you''re going as different companies have different policies (imagine it was a lot easier back in the days of BR, but I was just a kid then)!For home games, the Capital Canaries have a £12 return deal with NXEA on the 11am from London and the 5:30/6pm from Norwich.  This only has to be booked on a Thursday and often we have 40+ travelling.  Whilst we get this great price due to the fact we put circa £10,000 their way each season, I''m sure a Norwich based group could get similar deals for games in London (or beyond via the Capital).For Huddersfield this weekend we''re taking 10 (2 places still available!) via Sheffield with EMT.  With them you call to receive a quote and final numbers and payment are required 7 days in advance.  Minimum number for group travel is 10.  This company also runs the Norwich to Midlands and Liverpool service via Thetford, Ely, Peterborough etc.The route to Swindon uses FGW and the "deals" from their group travel department are fairly poor.  However they are part of the GroupSave partnership and offer the 4 for 2 deals on most of their services, hence if you get a group together the price reduces to half price (or slightly more if the numbers are not divisible by 4).  You can also use GroupSave on Southern, SWT, EMT (but not online), FCC, plus a number of other companies.Whilst I know the club will not want to get involved due to their deal with Sanders Coaches, maybe this is something that NCISA could look into (but they''d need a working website before they could do that)!Organising group travel is bloody hard work, people drop out and others think they can ask to travel at 8pm on a Friday night, but it is rewarding when 30 or 40 people all turn up and the odd one says thanks.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It all really depends on where you''re going as different companies have different policies (imagine it was a lot easier back in the days of BR, but I was just a kid then)!

For home games, the Capital Canaries have a £12 return deal with NXEA on the 11am from London and the 5:30/6pm from Norwich.  This only has to be booked on a Thursday and often we have 40+ travelling.  Whilst we get this great price due to the fact we put circa £10,000 their way each season, I''m sure a Norwich based group could get similar deals for games in London (or beyond via the Capital).

For Huddersfield this weekend we''re taking 10 (2 places still available!) via Sheffield with EMT.  With them you call to receive a quote and final numbers and payment are required 7 days in advance.  Minimum number for group travel is 10.  This company also runs the Norwich to Midlands and Liverpool service via Thetford, Ely, Peterborough etc.

The route to Swindon uses FGW and the "deals" from their group travel department are fairly poor.  However they are part of the GroupSave partnership and offer the 4 for 2 deals on most of their services, hence if you get a group together the price reduces to half price (or slightly more if the numbers are not divisible by 4).  You can also use GroupSave on Southern, SWT, EMT (but not online), FCC, plus a number of other companies.

Whilst I know the club will not want to get involved due to their deal with Sanders Coaches, maybe this is something that NCISA could look into (but they''d need a working website before they could do that)!

Organising group travel is bloody hard work, people drop out and others think they can ask to travel at 8pm on a Friday night, but it is rewarding when 30 or 40 people all turn up and the odd one says thanks.
[/quote]

We take on board what you are saying Matt about our website but we have been badly let down by an expert who was going to provide us with an all singing and dancing new website which is why it is how it is at this moment.A member of our Committee who is involved with computers in his business is working in his spare time to sort it.

The only good pub I know is the Glue Pot, Emlyn Sq, nr Oxford St, nr Railway Station and Village. I am meeting up with my mate in the Gluey, who is a Town fan and long term Gluey regular, and who will be with his mates, mostly exiles and ale fans. It has always been a friendly pub, although basically a Home pub, but it is a fair walk to the ground as I remember, but very few other options in the area I am informed.

just as useful tip for those ever travelling to london on train in future, anglia day ranger plus ipswich to chelmsford day return and chelmsford to london day return always used to be cheaper than buying the saver return (now known as off peak return). I don''t work trains to london anymore (just norwich locals and cambridge now :) ) but have a look. this will only be the case for walk up fares not advance, and as matt says the train must stop at chelmsford!!but i told you nothing!!!

[quote user="National express super guard "]just as useful tip for those ever travelling to london on train in future, anglia day ranger plus ipswich to chelmsford day return and chelmsford to london day return always used to be cheaper than buying the saver return (now known as off peak return). I don''t work trains to london anymore (just norwich locals and cambridge now :) ) but have a look. this will only be the case for walk up fares not advance, and as matt says the train must stop at chelmsford!!
but i told you nothing!!!
[/quote]

i always get witham to ipswich + anglia day ranger for Saturdays

For me and my son using Freidns and Family the price is quite reasonable.

To travel anywhere else on the train - which inevitably requires going in , across and out of London - is usually extortionate (and there''s always the risk of engineering works at weekends), so i invariably take the car.

I would rather chill out on the train but its far too expensive.

[quote user="corbs"]The only good pub I know is the Glue Pot, Emlyn Sq, nr Oxford St, nr Railway Station and Village. I am meeting up with my mate in the Gluey, who is a Town fan and long term Gluey regular, and who will be with his mates, mostly exiles and ale fans. It has always been a friendly pub, although basically a Home pub, but it is a fair walk to the ground as I remember, but very few other options in the area I am informed.[/quote]

That''s where i intend to go pre match as it''s a Hopback Brewery pub and looks like one of only two decent ale pubs in the whole town, my experience so far this season has been that it generally doesn''t matter if it''s a home pub; most people have been extremely friendly and willing to accomodate a few stray Norwich fans not looking for any trouble. I''m very much looking forward to enjoying a decent pint of summer lightning!