Sign in to follow this  
Holtys revenge

Ryan Bertrand

I was given free tickets for the Reading v Derby game last night and apart from spending a fair chunk of the second half giving Robbie Savage some banter whilst he was impersonating a goalkeeper, I kept an eye on young Bertie Bertrand. I was actually quite impressed with him last night and though he had a good solid game topped off with a well-taken goal. He made some decent attacking runs, like he tried to do for us, and is pretty quick. I think he lacks the physical presence to make it as a Prem fullback though, but if things had turned out differently he could have become Drury''s natural successor at left back for us.

Although it was bitterly cold at the Madejski the crowd was only 14000 and despite a 4-1 home win there was no atmosphere at all.

Derby were crap, by the way.

i liked him but never felt he was better then Drury, agree he is probably a good championship LB rather then a premiership one.

i re-call alot of people giving dury a hard time before the start of the season saying he was always injury prone . people could not remember him playing a big part of our promotion to the premiership . he is a great player who defends and overlaps well and started to have a crack at goal himself . hope we put him straight into the squad on saturaday .

bertrand is a good player and can do a job at championship level ,but i have to say i rate dury some what more .

yeah before the season i was having to constantly defend him, with lots of people saying he was a has-been and had lost it....guess i was right :), hopefully he will be in for saturday

To tidy this up;

Bertrand - neither strong nor spectacular and always second best to Drury. Forgotten about him I was enjoying this season so much.

Drury - come back please. Rose has filled in adequately but Drury gives me much more confidence.

I think Bertrand would fit much better into our team now. Good solid technical ball player who would work much better with other players with equally good ball skills such as Korey, Hoolihan and Chris Martin.

Thought Bertrand was excellent in his first season at the club. But he seemed to go backwards in his second season. I guess the team was poor and the back 4 changed every 5 minutes which didn''t help him. But I thought he was one of the great disapointments of last season.