Sign in to follow this  
ASHTONS DAD SIMMO

IMPACT OF GRANT HOLT

What a signing Grant Holt has been. I have watched him many times in yellow shirt and honestly believe he has been one of the most impactive players that we have ever signed.

His leadership qualities, work rate, badgering of referees and oponents and enthusiasm, not to mention his goals must make him the player to have had the biggest impact at Carrow Road for many years. I can only think of Darren Huckerby in the Championship winning side to rival the "Horse"

Any other views or suggestions??

Without him would we be top? I don''t think so but we would still be up there.  Been the most important player for us and when was the last time we had someone score 30 goals?

Since I have been watching Norwich he is the best striker we have had apart from Earnie and Ashton (who apparently is your son!)

Are you really Dean Ashton''s father?

His ''miss'' on Saturday was Grant Holt back to his best (well, almost - apart from the finish of course). Look at it again on the BBC highlights. Absolutely bulldozed his way through their defence, took a glorious one two, beautiful touch around the keeper...

Would have been goal of the season if he''d bagged it.

But it shows he''s back on song an i fully expecting to lead a final charge over the finish line in the next two months.

Good post. I think he is the only player in the squad who could walk back into the first team.

Watch his finger wagging huddle lectures and listen to his post match comments. Like Hucks he really knows the game.

This is why, ultimately, despite some excellent contributions from others he is the talisman who will pick up the POTS.

Another thread has been discussing Player of the Season and whilst there have been many deserved contenders, Holt is the man without a doubt.

It is an absolute pleasure watching this man play. He is very deceptive both in pace and vision but his ball control is superb. He rarely wastes a ball and gains throws and corners when nothing looks on. Combine this with his workrate and team leadership and Holty? Yo de man!!

By sheer force he has put himself into goalscoring positions. Yep he has missed a few, that''s probably why he''s at this level. But he''s set up far far more that would not have happened otherwise.

He''s been a pleasure to watch and seemed to have summed up we have needed for somewhile. We can do it if we get in there and mix it a bit.

Never will I gripe about overpaid players after watching this lad giving his all.

A ''normal'' season I would have happily voted the Doc player of the season for his application and improved form. Likewise Forster for being an outstanding keeper. Would anyone begrudge Martin the award for banging in that number of goals, nope.

But for being, what I can only describe as, a Boy''s Own hero Holt should be the winner. So yes, he''s been a very important signing.

Everyone is treating him as if he''s off form, and i''d certainly say his performances have dropped from the standards that he was enjoying not so long before his suspension. But he''s still managed 3 goals in the past 5 games, and having hit the post and missed a one-on-one on the weekend that could well of been a hattrick, and 5 in 5 despite having been a little "below-par" of recent.I think it''s also worth mentioning, amongst his fantastic leadership qualities as captain that have helped bring us from 23rd to 1st in the table, his badgering of referee''s, work rate, the valuable contribution he provides in both boxes, and his apt ability in performing the target man role as well as scoring very freely, he''s also one of the top assisters in the league.The man is utter class, and if Chris Iwelumo and Jason Scotland can make the step up without having had any/much Championship or Premiership experience before, there is absolutely no reason why Holt can''t.

Big Bad John,

I do not now indulge in Forums, or originate as many letters as I used to.  Your contribution however deserved my attention, It gave me great pleasure to see someone write, along with Rude, real comments on characteristics that really matter in football today and I would agree that  Grant Holt has them all in abundance.  The most important is his contribution as a leader of the team, and the way he has the respect of the team members.  This type of leadership has been missing for three seasons now and many posts up to the start of this Lambert management have indeed mentioned the lack of a respected leader on the field.  I do hope when we move back to the Championship Grant Holt and his gang go up together as a whole team, to at least see how they perform at a higher level.  Huckerby was mentioned as an Impact man, yes that was so but he was more of an individual and a crowd pleaser, and was indeed exciting to watch when he was at his best.  For me Grant Holt is more of a galvaniser of team effort and therefore brings in the best way, the effort we now can see of collectivety among a group of happy and consentrating team players. Yes Rude and B.B.J.  Well Said and best wishes. OTBC>

Holt''s been the difference between us being play-off contenders and automatic shoo in''s IMO.

Absoloutely vital signing and someone thats gonna go down as a Canary hero long after he''s gone.

Aside from his goal tally, how many have other players scored this season that have come from either a delightful piece of hustling and running, or a rebounded or saved shot from our Captain that has fallen kindly for others.  Sure, there''s an element of luck in some of the latter but, to coin a cliche, if you don''t shoot you don''t score, but similarly if you don''t shoot there''s less chance for it to fall for someone else.The man''s an absolute legend, and having only seen him live in action a couple of times, and a few times on the telly, this is based mostly on highlights... but the pictures don''t lie, and for that reason I''m convinced he''s not only the signing of the season for us, but possibly for the entire League.Of course, that''s all thanks to Gunny, isn''t it...? [;)][:P][6]

Holt comes into his own in away games I think. You just need that outlet to relieve the pressure and make the ball stick at times. He does that along with working the channels tirelessly. Apparently he covers the most ground in the football league per game. Something like 4.8 kilometres per match. For a big man that work rate is phenomonal.

Much appreciated for the pleasant comment Beelsie. [Y]I of course agree with your points. Holt has been a great player this season, of that there is no doubt, but it''s not until you appreciate the great range of impacts he''s had do you begin to understand and comprehend just how great he has been. Amongst other things, his leadership, as you highlighted, has been one of the truly major fundamental differences from the depleted team we''ve had represent us for the past 5 or 6 years. And with that he now finds himself at the very core of the team, while providing all the extra assetts recognised as being needed to accomplish anything positive in football.I don''t believe the ''Grant Holt'' factor, with the value of the characteristics attributed to him, can quite be overstated this season.Great post, and again, best wishes Beelsie. [B]

[quote user="beelsie"]

Big Bad John,

I do not now indulge in Forums, or originate as many letters as I used to.  Your contribution however deserved my attention, It gave me great pleasure to see someone write, along with Rude, real comments on characteristics that really matter in football today and I would agree that  Grant Holt has them all in abundance.  The most important is his contribution as a leader of the team, and the way he has the respect of the team members.  This type of leadership has been missing for three seasons now and many posts up to the start of this Lambert management have indeed mentioned the lack of a respected leader on the field.  I do hope when we move back to the Championship Grant Holt and his gang go up together as a whole team, to at least see how they perform at a higher level.  Huckerby was mentioned as an Impact man, yes that was so but he was more of an individual and a crowd pleaser, and was indeed exciting to watch when he was at his best.  For me Grant Holt is more of a galvaniser of team effort and therefore brings in the best way, the effort we now can see of collectivety among a group of happy and consentrating team players. Yes Rude and B.B.J.  Well Said and best wishes. OTBC>

[/quote]

We miss you Beelsie [:''(]

As for the impact of Grant Holt, just one word - immense.

I do believe that Holt is a ledge and will be remembered long after he has gone, but I sincerely hope he retires with us. I believe he an play in the Championship and can be the problem to defenders that he is in this physical league.

Holt is worth paying the entrance fee for alone as he gives the impression that he really cares for the club, his team mates, the gaffer and football in general.

When he signed for us a mate told me he was overweight, granted he was not at our standard of fitness, so he worked hard and trimmed down and now relishes the away fans taunting him, so he can show of his six pack!! Someone else also told me he was too slow. I saw him chase a ball down against Colchester in the last 5 minutes and the bloke is no slouch.

My Ipshit fan mates took the mick out of Grant Holt at the start of the season.... I don''t hear from them anymore about football!!!!!!

Simmo

I must say thanks for the kind remarks that have been made about my reply.  It was so nice for me to see the enthusiasm that has been shown by Grant Holt, and the infectious repitition of that whole hearted effort carried throughout the existing team members.  He has managed to inspire me; and at my age that''s certainly saying something!!  Best wishes to all

Agree with all of the above, obviously. He has that quality that Gunn, Mackay and Huckerby all had, which go beyond footballing ability but somehow embodies the spirit of the club. His song says it all.

But...

What do people think about his tally of yellows and reds? He''s likely to miss two more games this season. Is it part and parcel of his commitment, or should he be able to maintain a level of aggression without picking up silly bookings?

I''m not sure if Grant has picked up any reds in his career. I''d like to see the stats. The reason I''m thinking this is because I remember him saying in an interview that he''d most probably pick up plenty of yellows, but "never a red".Oh dear! Probably seems like a silly statement now. But I don''t care. The man is well on his way to beating a long standing goal scoring record and is 100% Norwich City. Pure commitment and heart every game.

Became a legend in my eyes when he came out afterwards and spoke to the media after the 7-1 opening day disaster. Total respect and it was obvious even then that he was the captain/talisman in waiting.

One of Lambert''s top decisions to make him captain. 

One of the greatest signings in seasons... If we can, hold on to him and to Frazer Forster we''ll be fine next season in the championship. There will be additions to the squad needed. But he''s a formidable forward, and is Championship class!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]One of the greatest signings in seasons... If we can, hold on to him and to Frazer Forster we''ll be fine next season in the championship. There will be additions to the squad needed. But he''s a formidable forward, and is Championship class![/quote]totally agree[Y]