Sign in to follow this  
Salford

Am I the only one?

A lot of my friends ridicule me when I say I''d rather see Norwich win League 1 than England win the World Cup.

When it comes to England I really couldn''t give a monkeys. I have no connection with the team (other than my nationality) and I''m not sure I''d want the current crop of players to be written into the history books with the likes of Moore, Charlton, Hurst etc.

Am I the only one that puts the fate of their club above that of their country?

Because of the amount of time, passion and commitment I spend on NCFC every week, winning the league would rate more highly than an England success in the World Cup.

Football at the very top level means less and less to me each season and has become so distant and such a media circus, I can''t relate to it or enjoy it as much anymore.

(e.g. the endless coverage of the Terry/Bridge thing and bloody Cheryl & Ashley Cole)

I''ve followed England abroad in World Cups too - sad isn''t it.

I''ll still be in the pub for the games though!

Id rather City come 2nd in League 1 and Engalnd win the World Cup!

Though I wouldnt swap promotion for the World Cup

Firmly with you. England games bore the pants off me. I''ve got no affinity with them. I''d rather go out and play golf, at least the course will be empty!

I would chose City over England. Same as you, I''ll support them at the world cup. But NCFC comes first!

Couldn`t give a toss about England and the world cup. City every time.

You just know that the press will build it up to a level where anything but winning as a disaster. If the competition was approached with a bit of realism then maybe the team would perform....having said that, they are being paid Â£x00000000 pounds a week and should be able to play at the top of their game every week.

It`s the whole " we deserve to win it cos we are the best team in the world" attitude that gets up my nose. England are not by a long chalk and the sooner the country realises this and sets it`s expectations accordingly, the better!!

......and yes, I know we didn`t qualify . We have overperformed constantly for a nation of only 6million..[:D]

[quote user="lobster catcher"]Why does it do that when i quote?????[/quote]

You need internet explorer set up for compatability mode (follow menu path Tolls in IE and make sure compatability mode is ticked)

I''d  prefer both things to come to pass, but if I''m forced to sacrifice one achievement over the other then I''m afraid I''d rather that England won the World Cup. We will have waited 44 years this year to repeat that feat and it''s not something that happens too often. If England can lift the Jules Rimet Trophy this year then my euphoria will be greater than City winning the Third Division.

Norwich winning the Premiership > England winning the World Cup

anyday, but;

England winning the World Cup > ( Norwich winning League One || Norwich winning the Championship )

Seriously...

"If England can lift the Jules Rimet Trophy this year then my euphoria will be greater than City winning the Third Division."

The Jules Rimet Trophy was retired in 1970... so England are gonna struggle to lift that one again...

Nope. ur spot on mate.......Being English i of course want us to do well but lets face it we will flatter to deceive as per usual....We have one decent player and the rest of our side wouldnt get into a Barcelona side let alone the Spanish national side?! Rio a world calss defender?!?!? hahahAdded to that the superior mental fortitude of the Germans, the tactics of the Italians and the huge pool of talent of  Brazil, we have no chance.....But this pales into insignificance.....im not at all bothered about a load of scouse media hyped average players.....sure they can do it against Wigan but against any side with decent management and the ability to keep the ball, we are screwed....As for the original post and not my drunken ramblings....could not give two monkeys how our national side do....City every day of the week....

and thats coming from a man who has disowned the country he was born in and would only ever return to live in Norwich, norfolk or possibly northern suffolk.....One love as a certain poster here would say...

Doesn''t sound like your "friends" are true football fans to me. If I had 2 tickets, 1 to see Norwich play and 1 to see England play and they kicked off at the same time I''d know where I''d be......Anyone want to buy a England ticket?

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]A lot of my friends ridicule me when I say I''d rather see Norwich win League 1 than England win the World Cup.

When it comes to England I really couldn''t give a monkeys. I have no connection with the team (other than my nationality) and I''m not sure I''d want the current crop of players to be written into the history books with the likes of Moore, Charlton, Hurst etc.

Am I the only one that puts the fate of their club above that of their country?[/quote]Agree with you. I don''t really enjoy watching England play anymore - probably something to do with the fact that a lot of our squad are an overrated bunch of pansies who earn more money in a week than most of the country do in a year.For me, Norwich will always be more "grass-roots", and therefore more passionate, than watching the current national team. Whilst winning the World Cup would be nice, I would always put it second to NCFC progressing.