Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Is your father a City fan???

My Dad is a City fan and took me to my first game as a 5 year old in the mid 90''s, he''s not really a big City fan these days and prefers to watch Lowestoft Town play on a Saturday although he looks out for our results and used to be a home and away fan back in the day.

All of my extended family on both my mum and dad''s side are Norwich fans, in fact all of my family (aunt''s, uncles, grandparents,etc) for about 4 generations are from Lowestoft. Only me and my two brothers are not (Yorkshire born), I am the oldest so the first game I went to see was Norwich v Leeds (we won 4 -2 if I remember correctly) and have been an avid follow for the last 20 years. My brothers are both Leeds supporters (I had a lucky escape!!!)

My parents can''t stand football. I grew up with tennis and cricket as my major sporting loves, I didn''t pick up football till I moved away for the area to university.

That probably makes me a johnny come lately glory boy.

When he was just little boy he asked my wife who should he be, should he be Norwich should he be scum here''s what she said to him. Wash your mouth out son and get your fathers gun (we shoot burglers) and shoot the ipswich scum, shoot the ipswich scum!

No, he isn''t. He is a Nottingham Forest Fan,

I first started watching City in the early 90''s, when I was a teen... and from then on I''m big City supporter

Dad is a Hibernian fan but has always followed whichever the local team was to where he was living. Been living in Norfolk since I was 5 and it''s got to a stage where he is pretty much a Norwich fan.

My dad was an ardent Norwich fan, he loved the club and his enthusiam rubbed off on me when I was a young teenager which was when I got hooked.

Pretty much everyone on my Mum''s side of the family supports Norwich. I guess it was my grandparents who really got me into it - they''ve been supporting City since the early 50s and still love going to matches now when they can.No-one on my Dad''s side has any interest in football (including him himself) save for my Grandma, who used to follow Arsenal, but can''t be doing with them now due to "all those bloody foreigners!". She now listens to Norwich games on the radio.

My dad grew up in East London and his uncles used to take him to the Os (his father couldn''t go as he was manager of a working men''s club which kept pub hours).  They weren''t very good, and his abiding memory was of the walk home across Hackney Marshes with his uncles complaining bitterly "that''s the last bleedin'' tanner [tanner = old sixpence] they''re getting out of me".  As a result he wasn''t much of a football fan, he preferred cricket.

Was born in Canada and Dad followed City (he was born and raised in Norwich). Went to my first game whilst in Norwich on holiday aged about 5 and followed them ever since, even whilst leaving in NZ, when limited to watching highlights on Saint and Greavsie. Never lived in Norwich or Norfolk myself.

not really know.. he follows the club but isnt a supporter, growing up in an RAF family he travelled around and has seen teams such as 70''s Ajax, 60''s Spurs and Man utd and even seen games in places like Cyprus... he has only been following City regularly since 1991 when he took me as a little boy.. he went to the odd game when he first moved here in the late 70''s with work mates every so often. but hardly went at all in the 80''s.

My father was a West ham fan born in Straford east london got evacuated up this way during the war. soon became a city fan ,he took me to my first city game in 1966 i got hooked and he was well hooked kept his season ticket till he''s death five year ago

Thankfully yes. I started playing football when I was 5 with my next door neighbour and his mates. He was 13 and a Liverpool fan and teaching me about the game. I told my dad they were my favourite team, he told me they weren''t because we come from Norwich. I was torn for a while, got my first football game (can''t remember it''s name but you pulled their legs back to make them kick - always think of it when I see Nelson kick the way he''s facing) and you had to paint the teams, I painted one Norwich and one Liverpool. I don''t remember the transformation taking place but I always made Norwich win. My dad never had any time for me, he was hard and scary but I''m glad he told me who I had to support.

He certainly is and still sits in the City stand with his chums. As was his father, even though he was Polish and only turned up after Mr Hitler got upperty.

My Dad hates football! The mentalist... my Granddad is a West Brom fan, whilst my Aunty and Uncle are Wolves fans... I stumbled into being a Norwich fan through sheer force of will having moved to the area as a child... my kids, however, have no choice in the matter....

My old mans a spurs fan,my mums a newcastle fan but my son and i support city....my bro followed my dads footsteps as did his 2 kids............"YIDDOS" ....yes we are from north London many years ago.I am glad i broke that mould and atleast get to see my team play unlike the 4 spurs fans i know.

Born in Chester but a Norwich fan due to my Dad who hails from North Norfolk. My first Norwich game was on Boxing Day 1991 at Maine Road in the old Div 1. Always been thankful that my Dad got me into Norwich as otherwise I would have ended up a Liverpool or United fan like everyone else in Chester!

Yep, it''s my dad''s fault I''m a City fan. He was first taken to Carrow Road by his dad (my Grandad) in the 1950s. He claims it was to see city play Liverpool, though I can''t believe that.

My mum is from Leeds and used to go to Elland Road when she was a teenager, though she''s long since stopped being interested in them.

Quite a few of my dad''s extended family (cousins, uncles etc) are season ticket holders. It''s always amusing to get their take on how we''re playing. They moan incessantly. In fact, one of my dad''s relatives works for the Evening News, writing about Norwich.

Although I grew up in Sheffield and was taken to both Wednesday and United games occasionally, dad was always trying to steer us in the direction of following City. He took us to Carrow Road a few times when we were quite young, while we were over in Norfiolk visiting his family. I think that''s what sealed the deal for me. This was in the mid 1980s I suppose.

I quite often go to games with him these days. Off to Huddersfield on Saturday with him as it happens… should be a fun afternoon. The last game we went to together was Walsall over Christmas… which of course was called off. Doh!

Sorry, first generation. So it wasn''t straightforward........

Dad was a Scotsman and a Glasgow Rangers fan. Grandpa used to stroll along to The Rec sometimes to watch Gorleston. Mum was restricted to a pleasant ''Oh good'' when City did well. My initiations into professional football were all at Wembley Stadium supporting England.

But one freezing Boxing Day I set out as a 14 year old youngster for Carrow Road from Gorleston under my own steam, got my first glimpse of our stadium walking down Riverside Road, got a voucher for the following weeks 3rd round FA Cup tie ([G][:D]), got behind a barrier at the open River End and saw City score 3 goals in the first 12 minutes....................

The rest is 50 plus years of history that I wouldn''t swap for anything. 

No, dad wasn''t a City supporter but he loved football........and passed on that love.

OTBC

It''s genetic. Growing up near Diss polarised things - too close to scum country otherwise. Father is a city fan, grandfather before him. Grew up in the sixties standing in the South Stand with three generations of city fans. Grandfather was at The Nest, dad was there for the ''59 season, I went to Wembley in 73, and my lad was born the year we went to the San Siro. Poor kid - he might be the last in the line to see it through unless things pick up!!

My dad hates football. My mum loves football (because I did)Got into Norwich due to my grandad

[quote user="Sell By Dave"]Yep, it''s my dad''s fault I''m a City fan. He was first taken to Carrow Road by his dad (my Grandad) in the 1950s. He claims it was to see city play Liverpool, though I can''t believe that. My mum is from Leeds and used to go to Elland Road when she was a teenager, though she''s long since stopped being interested in them. Quite a few of my dad''s extended family (cousins, uncles etc) are season ticket holders. It''s always amusing to get their take on how we''re playing. They moan incessantly. In fact, one of my dad''s relatives works for the Evening News, writing about Norwich. Although I grew up in Sheffield and was taken to both Wednesday and United games occasionally, dad was always trying to steer us in the direction of following City. He took us to Carrow Road a few times when we were quite young, while we were over in Norfiolk visiting his family. I think that''s what sealed the deal for me. This was in the mid 1980s I suppose. I quite often go to games with him these days. Off to Huddersfield on Saturday with him as it happens… should be a fun afternoon. The last game we went to together was Walsall over Christmas… which of course was called off. Doh![/quote]

Dave, don''t ever doubt your Dad unless you have iron clad facts to back you. Norwich beat Liverpool 3-1 in the FA Cup in the 1950-51 season when Liverpool were in the top level. 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Sorry, first generation. So it wasn''t straightforward........

Dad was a Scotsman and a Glasgow Rangers fan. Grandpa used to stroll along to The Rec sometimes to watch Gorleston. Mum was restricted to a pleasant ''Oh good'' when City did well. My initiations into professional football were all at Wembley Stadium supporting England.

But one freezing first Saturday of the New Year I set out as a 14 year old youngster for Carrow Road from Gorleston under my own steam, got my first glimpse of our stadium walking down Riverside Road, got a voucher for the following weeks 3rd round FA Cup tie ([G][:D]), got behind a barrier at the open River End and saw City score 3 goals in the first 12 minutes....................

The rest is 50 plus years of history that I wouldn''t swap for anything. 

No, dad wasn''t a City supporter but he loved football........and passed on that love.

OTBC

[/quote]

* Correction made! [:$]

OTBC

No, he''s Spurs. His grandad moved to North London from Devon and had a seat in the Director''s box. My dad went to games with one of his brothers in the ''50s and ''60s and can remember the City fans at the Lane from the ''59 cup game. His other love is bikes and that runs in both sides of the family. His other brother, who''s big into his bikes and doesn''t really care for the footy, has a son who went to high school in Ipswich, so my cousin is a scummer. None of my mum''s side are into the footy (or sport in general, besides the bikes with my mum''s brother).

I got into City slowly and surely thanks to my best mate, once my mum had moved me and my sister to Lowestoft, Suffolk (following living in East Harling, Norfolk with my mum''s parents and in Bocking, Essex when my mum and dad were still together). He used to show me old videos and test my city player knowledge with his Panini sticker collection. I used to just consider myself an England fan when growing up (I never went to Spurs with my Dad as I was only 4 when they split up), but overtime City started seeping more and more into my conscience. I didn''t go to a game (with my best mate) until ''96, missing out on all the glory years during my school days.

I don''t have any children, but if I did they won''t have a choice. My sister has a daughter and I''ve taken her to a few reserve, friendly and first team games. She was only 4 going on 5 for her first and she''s now turned 10. She''s City through and through and doeesn''t really need much encouragement from Uncle. Her mum can''t stand footy though!