Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

I wonder what tat the club has planned for late April?

Last time we got promotion (to the Prem) they had many of us dancing around with tat bearing the excruciatingly cringeworthy slogan ..... ''We Are Premiership''........   as if we''d never been there before for 20 odd years or      like a load of kids celebrating stepping up from nursery school to kindergarten

Hopefully we can have a more adult, rollicking, confident and less cringeworthy approach this time.

But then they say that no businesssman ever went bust by underestimating the taste of the great British public, so I guess...........

[:''(]

Ah well.

OTBC

Who''s "they"...? The Barclay end?

Yeah... we, the Barclay, are all scum. Better get rid of us all, before we come up with something equally "cringe-worthy"...

[quote user="lappinitup"]So, you feel that fans celebrating promotion to the Prem was "cringeworthy" Bly? Hmm! [^o)][/quote]

You know that''s not what I wrote. But if it makes you happy then ......

OTBC

[quote user="First Jedi"]Who''s "they"...? The Barclay end? Yeah... we, the Barclay, are all scum. Better get rid of us all, before we come up with something equally "cringe-worthy"...[/quote]

You know I didn''t write that, but if you want to try and score cheap points I suppose .........It''s a free country.

''They'' are clearly defined as the purveyors of tat and the decision makers at the club.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]dancing around with tat

like a load of kids celebrating stepping up from nursery school to kindergarten

we can have a more adult, less cringeworthy approach this time.

But then they say that no businesssman ever went bust by underestimating the taste of the great British public[/quote]Having cut out the frills we can see clearly what you wrote.............

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]dancing around with tat

But then they say that no businesssman ever went bust by underestimating the taste of the great British public[/quote]Having cut out the frills we can see clearly what you wrote.............

[/quote]

Context = Frills. Interesting.

Now, do you have a view on the slogan "We are Premiership" or not?

OTBC

"''They'' are clearly defined as the purveyors of tat and the decision makers at the club."

The Barclay "made" me sing it by virtue of me being one of them... the Barclay end made up the chant...

The board never made me or even asked politely to sing it...

Unless Delia has been making anonymous "song for the barclay" threads, five odd years ago, which inspired those chants - I think you are talking out your back side.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]dancing around with tat

But then they say that no businesssman ever went bust by underestimating the taste of the great British public[/quote]Having cut out the frills we can see clearly what you wrote.............[/quote]Now, do you have a view on the slogan "We are Premiership" or not?[/quote]I''m quite happy with it. It seemed very apt at the time. Why do you have a problem with it?

I think CITY fans will do as they please, irrespective of what others think.

''Watch Out Prem, We''re Coming Back!''

.....would be confident, aggressive, forward-looking and ambitious - and a clear statement of intent.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

.....would be confident, aggressive, forward-looking and ambitious - and a clear statement of intent.

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t think this is very good [:S] They hardly had to "Watch Out" last time we were there did they?

[quote user="Dr. Ink"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t think this is very good [:S] They hardly had to "Watch Out" last time we were there did they?

[/quote]

No, but that was only one of twenty-odd!!! And they had to watch out in a few of those!

OTBC

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]April ( one ) Love by Pat Boone and his wife.[/quote]

You folks are great at tat Yankee.

Give us a few more tips nuh!

OTBC

We have only ever spent four seasons in the Premier League. Two of those were relegation seasons.

Nevermind Wiz''s feeble attempts, the Premier League is the real curse of football in this country.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We have only ever spent four seasons in the Premier League. Two of those were relegation seasons.

Nevermind Wiz''s feeble attempts, the Premier League is the real curse of football in this country.

[/quote]

What''s in a name?

A canary by any other name is still a canary.

OTBC

" a canary by any other name is still a canary"

likewise a binner by any other name

""''They'' are clearly defined as the purveyors of tat and the decision makers at the club."

The Barclay "made" me sing it by virtue of me being one of them... the Barclay end made up the chant...

The board never made me or even asked politely to sing it...

Unless Delia has been making anonymous "song for the barclay" threads, five odd years ago, which inspired those chants - I think you are talking out your back side."

I like that you can''t answer this... come on - was it Delia, in the Barclay end, who personally started those chants, or not?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

What''s in a name?

OTBC

[/quote]

Indeed but the Premier League is not the old Division One so it''s more than a name. But each to their own Bly and I''m a great fan of the Football League and the people that run it. It''s a competition that appeals to the grassroots football fan who prefer to watch their team from the stands. The Premier League is no longer part of that Football League and is geared towards a new type of fan who prefer to watch their football in their livingrooms, often at the cost of the grassroots fans who are treated as second class citizens.

Each to their own and you are quite welcome to enjoy being a new type of fan. But don''t tell people that the FA Premier League is the old Football League First Division by another name because you insult their intelligence by doing so.

Perhaps if the Premier League placed names of old First Division Clubs under it''s literature it might then convince a few that it was the old First Division

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

What''s in a name?

OTBC

[/quote]

Indeed but the Premier League is not the old Division One so it''s more than a name. But each to their own Bly and I''m a great fan of the Football League and the people that run it. It''s a competition that appeals to the grassroots football fan who prefer to watch their team from the stands. The Premier League is no longer part of that Football League and is geared towards a new type of fan who prefer to watch their football in their livingrooms, often at the cost of the grassroots fans who are treated as second class citizens.

Each to their own and you are quite welcome to enjoy being a new type of fan. But don''t tell people that the FA Premier League is the old Football League First Division by another name because you insult their intelligence by doing so.

[/quote]

Talk about splitting hairs in pursuit of an agenda!

Maybe you should give non-league football a go instead.

They''d welcome another spectator through the gate at Emerald Park. In time you could even become a fan.

OTBC

OTBC

It''s sad but typical of your attitude that you refer to the gulf between what the old First Division of the Football League was and what the FA Premier League is as splitting hairs. It surely isn''t the case that you don''t realise the differences?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s sad but typical of your attitude that you refer to the gulf between what the old First Division of the Football League was and what the FA Premier League is as splitting hairs. It surely isn''t the case that you don''t realise the differences?

[/quote]

There are far more similarities than differences.

What''s sad is that you are going to argue from every corner and at every acute and oblique angle in support of your new pet agenda - as usual.

But it''s a free country and you''re entitled to your opinions however odd.

OTBC

ok, BBB, I''ll bite.

Differences between the old first division and the premiership:

Money. The last SKY deal for the Premiership was nearly 1billion pounds. As a result, the clubs can pay enormous wages for players - some of those enormous wages go on the best players in the world, but it quickly becomes an arms race whereby pretty average players are on huge salaries. And this arms race then trickles down to the football league, because about ten teams in the Championship think they should be in the Prem, so they pay premier wages even though they can''t afford it because they don''t get the TV money.

As a result, at a time when there has been more money swilling around in football than ever before, the clubs are all loaded with debt, from ManU at the top, to Chester, who went out of business today.

Finally, it''s far more difficult for a club like Norwich to survive in the Premiership without a sugar daddy. Look at the smaller clubs in the Prem - Fulham, Blackburn, Middlesbrough until last season, Wigan, Bolton. They''re all funded by rich millionaires. The medium sized provincial clubs like us, Coventry, Forest, Southampton, etc are all languishing below.

That''s not to say that mistakes made by the individual borads of those clubs should not be highlighted, but to claim that the old first division is the same as the new Prem is either senile ignorance or wilful mendacity.

When City were relegated from the old first division in 1985, Chris Woods and Dave Watson both stayed with the club. They were both on the fringes of England recognition and there was a World Cup on the way. Why did they stay? Because there wasn''t much difference then between playing in the top division and the Second. They wouldn''t have earned that much more by jumping ship.

The team that got promotion the following year then finished 5th in the top flight.

When City were promoted to the new Premier League in 2004 it was obvious to everyone that the team promoted as Champions, points and points clear of the rest, was simply not good enough to survive in the Prem. To compete, it would have to be totally overhauled. Worthington never succeeded in buying a premier league quality defence, and so we went down.

That massive gap between the top two divisions simply didn''t exist in the pre-Prem era. The Premier League was designed to create it, and it has ruined football as a competitive sport in this country. If you can''t see that, you''re a fool or a liar.

Is both an option[:^)]

The massive gap didn''t exist in the pre-prem area because all four divisions were part of the same Football League. The breakaway Premier League was supported by the FA to give it some form of credibility although all that happened in my eyes was the FA lost any credibility it had left. The sooner the so called top clubs p*ss off, and give the first tier back to the Football League, the better in my view.