Sign in to follow this  
Posh Yella

Stephen Elliott....

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]But WACCOE is such a reliable and friendly place!  How could it possibly be wrong?[/quote]

[;)]

[/quote]The one time I make a disparaging remark about that site and it comes back to haunt me.  And yes, I enjoyed the humble pie.

[quote user="Smudger"]A very strange signing in my opinion... hopefully Lambert knows something that I don''t and it is just a temporary measure until the end of the season (with no plans to make the move permanent during the summer).

He is only 5''9" so no back up for Holty if he is to miss a few more games between now and the end of the season.  As far as I know he is also not blessed with bags of pace and could only be described as an average Championship striker at best with approx a one goal in 4 or 5 games ratio.

Am set to be proved wrong as I have been a few times this season, but I for one am not overwhelmed with this signing.  It makes me wonder even more why we were not tabling a bid for the likes of Barnard and Puncheon.
[/quote]

Get over it mate, for God''s sake.

[quote user="Smudger"]A very strange signing in my opinion... hopefully Lambert knows something that I don''t and it is just a temporary measure until the end of the season (with no plans to make the move permanent during the summer).

He is only 5''9" so no back up for Holty if he is to miss a few more games between now and the end of the season.  As far as I know he is also not blessed with bags of pace and could only be described as an average Championship striker at best with approx a one goal in 4 or 5 games ratio.

Am set to be proved wrong as I have been a few times this season, but I for one am not overwhelmed with this signing.  It makes me wonder even more why we were not tabling a bid for the likes of Barnard and Puncheon.
[/quote]

While I don''t know much about Stephen Elliott as a player if you look at the profile of the clubs he''s played and at the standard he has played at it makes for more impressive reading than the careers of Lee Barnard and Jason Puncheon.

(and no....that''s not me saying that Elliott is going to be brilliant and the other two are rubbish, but it is worth looking at)

The way it''s going at the moment you have to have confidence in the managers judgement.

Chris Brown ''scoring pretty freely''? - he''s not even in the top 30 Championship top-scorers (Source: Soccernet 27.2.10). He breaks the Trade Descriptions Act if he still calls himself a goal scorer!

I do respect Paul Lambert''s judgement on this guy Elliott (even though I''ve never heard of him before!) - Lambo must have something in mind...

...and his transfer dealings are truly excellent so far, so I better shut up!

[quote user="Brundall Canary"]Chris Brown ''scoring pretty freely''? - he''s not even in the top 30 Championship top-scorers (Source: Soccernet 27.2.10). He breaks the Trade Descriptions Act if he still calls himself a goal scorer![/quote]

He''s not a natural goalscorer.

But he will still score a few goals and he is a good player.

This reminds me of the thread when Oli joined us alll nay saying...........If he is not cut out Lambert will not play him I think we all know that. So lets trust Lambert cause so far he has been spot on. Gotta remember we stepped down a division and I am sure a average championship striker should do well in League 1. OTBC

"smudger -A very strange signing in my opinion... hopefully Lambert knows something that I don''t and it is just a temporary measure until the end of the season (with no plans to make the move permanent during the summer).He is only 5''9" so no back up for Holty if he is to miss a few more games between now and the end of the season.  As far as I know he is also not blessed with bags of pace and could only be described as an average Championship striker at best with approx a one goal in 4 or 5 games ratio.Am set to be proved wrong as I have been a few times this season, but I for one am not overwhelmed with this signing.  It makes me wonder even more why we were not tabling a bid for the likes of Barnard and Puncheon"

You really are a miserable negative Git!!

a bit harsh on smudge that is, he''s not been completely negative. I think he''s a pretty average signing to be honest, he''s surely better than Cureton?  If he''s no good, we won''t buy him anyway. We have Martin and Holt as our reliable 1st choice with Cody and Oli to step in if they are not on form, Elliot is just another option, maybe similar to Martin?

What a strange signing! I know very little about him, but I trust Lambert so let''s wait and see. If this guy turns out good and contributes to a title win then Lambert should be given the keys to the city.

[/quote]

Well said Smudge. I am in complete agreement

I agree an extra forward is always welcome if Lambert does not feel McDonald and Johnson have the strength to start games. But if that is the case then maybe we should have pushed the boat out a little and got Barnard. But obvious finances may have dictated otherwise...

Im very excited by this signing, i think he is proven at championship level and has scored goals in the premiership. Seems to have gone off the boil at preston but its not unusual for a player not to settle in at a club. This could be a great chance for him to re-ignite his career, and at 26 he is certainly at a good age. From the little bits ive seen from him he works his socks off and is more then just a fox in the box, he likes to drop deep and can aslo play as an advanced winger. Good Signing, it reminds me of our promotion season from the championship when we brought in Kenny Cooper to see us over the finishing line. 

[quote user="Squire"]If true; trust the manager. Jury still out on Rose but his other acquisitions have been ok.[/quote]

Absolutely. Team Lambo seem to bring the best out of most players. Look at Nelson and Doc as good examples of this. If you can instill confidence in sportsmen it goes a long way towards creating a winner.

[quote user="Brundall Canary"]Chris Brown ''scoring pretty freely''? - he''s not even in the top 30 Championship top-scorers (Source: Soccernet 27.2.10). He breaks the Trade Descriptions Act if he still calls himself a goal scorer!

I do respect Paul Lambert''s judgement on this guy Elliott (even though I''ve never heard of him before!) - Lambo must have something in mind...

...and his transfer dealings are truly excellent so far, so I better shut up![/quote]Think he''s scored 1 in 4 for Preston - and must have played there for over a couple of seasons now? Not a massive goalscorer, but certainly chipping in.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Wasn''t it Kevin Cooper?[/quote]

Maybe?! i obviously dont remember it that well do i!

[/quote]Go to PNE Online, they''re wetting themselves that they''ve conned us............again:

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50218

All I know about him is his stats, and they''re not very good! but I trust Lambert, so only time will tell.

[quote user="Iwan Roberts Dentist"]

[/quote]

Well said Smudge. I am in complete agreement

[/quote]

"Hopefully Lambert knows something I don''t" - let''s face it, if he doesn''t we are in big trouble. To quote someone whose name escapes me "I must have missed your tenure ..............."

A 26 year old, Ireland international who has scored goals at Championship level and played in the Premiership, not the sort of signing a League 1 side should be making. If anybody can get his career going again it''s Lambert, he couldn''t have scored those goals at Sunderland and warranted a £1m price tag for nothing, he''s hardly a has been now.

What Lambert might "know" is that we have a striker(s) carrying injuries. That''s an obvious answer. Holt plays with such intensity I fear he may be "burned out" by Easter. No similar likelihood Re Martin but he''s been off colour recently so maybe he''s carrying an injury. How often do we hear at a later date that so and so has been carrying an injury for weeks. Poor devil''s probably been slagged off for that period when it''s not his fault. As I said before: TRUST THE MANAGER.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

[quote user="Smudger"]A very strange signing in my opinion... hopefully Lambert knows something that I don''t and it is just a temporary measure until the end of the season (with no plans to make the move permanent during the summer).He is only 5''9" so no back up for Holty if he is to miss a few more games between now and the end of the season.  As far as I know he is also not blessed with bags of pace and could only be described as an average Championship striker at best with approx a one goal in 4 or 5 games ratio.Am set to be proved wrong as I have been a few times this season, but I for one am not overwhelmed with this signing.  It makes me wonder even more why we were not tabling a bid for the likes of Barnard and Puncheon.[/quote]

[/quote]haha nice comeback WSC... but I can''t get over it just yet mate... I just can''t! [;)]Maybe when Elliot bangs in his first hatrick for us, or Lambert finds us another striker who can bag goals on the cheap then you may see me start to forget about the two fellas above who prferred to be spending another year in Div 1 at the Saints (maybe)???

[quote user="Brundall Canary"]Quote from Pink ''Un: ''52 appearances, scoring eight goals''. Why on earth do we need a player who takes in excess of 6 games to score a single goal?

I know Holt could get injured (or banned!) but this guy sounds like another ''Scoring Prevention Officer'' to me!

PS: The first being the bloke we sold to PNE who ran around never scoring. Oh and then there was Peter Thorne too...

Don''t set me off![/quote]Oli Johnson had only scored one goal this season before coming here. You are being ridiculous. Some players do better at certain clubs, if you''re playing in a good team you will tend to score more goals. Preston always seem to be fairly defensive when I''ve seen them at Carrow Rud, he probably only gets a decent chance every game or two there. Who do you suggest we should have signed on loan in March, with little chance of starting regularly, who has a better goal ratio?

[quote user="Squire"]What Lambert might "know" is that we have a striker(s) carrying injuries. That''s an obvious answer. Holt plays with such intensity I fear he may be "burned out" by Easter. No similar likelihood Re Martin but he''s been off colour recently so maybe he''s carrying an injury. How often do we hear at a later date that so and so has been carrying an injury for weeks. Poor devil''s probably been slagged off for that period when it''s not his fault. As I said before: TRUST THE MANAGER.[/quote]

I suspect you are right regarding our usual strike force.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Wasn''t it Kevin Cooper?[/quote]

Maybe?! i obviously dont remember it that well do i!

[/quote]Go to PNE Online, they''re wetting themselves that they''ve conned us............again:

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50218

All I know about him is his stats, and they''re not very good! but I trust Lambert, so only time will tell.

[/quote]

Like they did when they sold us Etuhu? Like we did when we sold them Chris Brown?

The prooth, as ever, will be in the pudding. On the surface, I think it''s decent signing, not bowled over but at this stage of the season and with his experience and peak age, I''m pretty pleased.

Should give Martin a kick up the backside too.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

[quote user="Smudger"]A very strange signing in my opinion... hopefully Lambert knows something that I don''t and it is just a temporary measure until the end of the season (with no plans to make the move permanent during the summer).He is only 5''9" so no back up for Holty if he is to miss a few more games between now and the end of the season.  As far as I know he is also not blessed with bags of pace and could only be described as an average Championship striker at best with approx a one goal in 4 or 5 games ratio.Am set to be proved wrong as I have been a few times this season, but I for one am not overwhelmed with this signing.  It makes me wonder even more why we were not tabling a bid for the likes of Barnard and Puncheon.[/quote]

[/quote]haha nice comeback WSC... but I can''t get over it just yet mate... I just can''t! [;)]Maybe when Elliot bangs in his first hatrick for us, or Lambert finds us another striker who can bag goals on the cheap then you may see me start to forget about the two fellas above who prferred to be spending another year in Div 1 at the Saints (maybe)???[/quote]No doubt Puncheon and Barnard are quality players smudge but there probably just money grabbers. Would rather sit in League 1 for another year and earn a big championship wage than earn a few grand less and play in the Championship with us. Shame