Sign in to follow this  
Kolin Kob

Dickson Etuhu

He just scored away against Juventus!!Who would have thought that most Norwich fans would have paid Worthington good money not to pick him when he first started playing for us?It just shows that it can be worth persevering and allowing players to develop sometimes.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]He just scored away against Juventus!!
Who would have thought that most Norwich fans would have paid Worthington good money not to pick him when he first started playing for us?
It just shows that it can be worth persevering and allowing players to develop sometimes.
[/quote]

How did you come to that conclusion? I think there was a big split over Etuhu especially when sold (look at what Huckerby said) - we all knew the talent he had ,just he never focused fully which was evident again in Fulhum''s game tonight.

Nothing about waiting for him to develop he was clearly good enough to make the step-up to the prem and as such made the move to Sunderland.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]He just scored away against Juventus!!
Who would have thought that most Norwich fans would have paid Worthington good money not to pick him when he first started playing for us?
It just shows that it can be worth persevering and allowing players to develop sometimes.
[/quote]

How did you come to that conclusion? I think there was a big split over Etuhu especially when sold (look at what Huckerby said) - we all knew the talent he had ,just he never focused fully which was evident again in Fulhum''s game tonight.

Nothing about waiting for him to develop he was clearly good enough to make the step-up to the prem and as such made the move to Sunderland.

[/quote]

Indeed it was things like Earnshaw, Etuhu and Safri being replaced by Cureton, Russell and Fotheringham that caused Hucks to say what he did. That was the point that all chance of a return to the Prem was abandoned and a continual fight against relegation set in. A fight that we eventually lost.

Worthington made mistakes in the transfer market but he didn''t make as many as folk would have you believe. He was always very honest in his comments and the one that he kept repeating was that if he wasn''t given the money to buy players good enough to take the club forward he wouldn''t sign players that weren''t. Peter Grant signed those players and turned us into relegation candidates before Roeder and Gunn finished the job. This finally disproved the myth that "anyone would be better than Worthy" but at last it does seem that we have got a manager capable of taking the club forward again. Just a shame that Lambert wasn''t around to take over instead of Grant. If he had have been we would probably have held on to the likes of Etuhu, Earnshaw and Safri longer and the last three nightmare seasons wouldn''t have happened.

I said ''when he first started playing for us''. Back then, he showed promise, and a lot of people didn''t believe he''d ever make the step up. It may have been clear to you (and me!) that he was good enought to make the step-up, but there were many who thought he should never wear the yellow and green again. What I''d do for Etuhu in the team now!

yep. what id do for a lazy, egotisctial wa**er who turned up for one game out of twenty.Safri fair enough, but the likes of Clingan would fill his boots well enough.The player you try to make out Etuhu to be would i guess would be Francis in our Championship winning season.  Etuhu was never that.Smith will be a far better player than Dickson and i wouldnt rate him  much higher than russell and lord knows im not his greatest fan..........bags of athletisism, energy and endeavour....very little technical ability (or the architypal english midfielder).

" If he had have been we would probably have held on to the likes of Etuhu, Earnshaw and Safri longer"

There''s a novelty.

A new manager brings with him a sort of dowry. And a magically wand that can cancel contractual arrangements.

As to Etuhu he left us fort the same reason he left Preston..... and Sunderland I don''t doubt. Football is as much about applying skills as it is about having them.

[quote user="City1st"]" If he had have been we would probably have held on to the likes of Etuhu, Earnshaw and Safri longer" There''s a novelty. A new manager brings with him a sort of dowry. And a magically wand that can cancel contractual arrangements. As to Etuhu he left us fort the same reason he left Preston..... and Sunderland I don''t doubt. Football is as much about applying skills as it is about having them.[/quote]

Well you are entitled to that opinion City1st. But I view things slightly differently. I have long been of the view that a good manager does far more than just sign players and pick the team. After all Hamilton, Grant, Roeder and Gunn all signed players and picked the team. So what''s the difference between those managers and Worthy and Lambert? Well I reckon that Worthy and Lambert could manage players and those players respect them and want to play for them. It probably suits many people to blame contractual arrangements for Etuhu and Earnshaws departures but how do we know that those arrangements would have been activated if the players had wanted to stay? For a release clause to to be activated I believe the team had to be in the Premiership and the fee offered had to be at least the minimim agreed. But the player had to want to leave too. And before you all get on my case and say that they would have wanted to leave anyway just ask yourselves if you think Hamilton, Grant, Roeder and Gunn could have attracted Huckerby and Crouch to play for a Championship team miles away from their homes.

I seem to recall Etuhu having a "toothache" that being the reason why he couldn''t play in a pre-season friendly...when actually he was signing for the black cats!

He is a great player who has really come on since leaving Norwich. I have watched him play several times this season and I must say that he has looked brilliant!

Well he was terrible last night and got marked a 5 in two if the papers I looked at as a result. I didn''t see him pass the ball to a Fulham shirt all night, something you would expect the holding midfield player, as he now is to do very well. I think you might be a bit caught up in the fact that he was playing in a European game rather than the game he actually played. You shouldn''t assume that the first dictates the quality of the latter.

Biggus was not a bad player. Would rate him above Francis. Wanted away and easily found a premier club that would sign him.

I love Smith but to compare him with Biggus is crazy at this moment. One has played in the prem, one has played in the third division.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]He wasn''t terrible tonight!!It was his assist that won it as well[/quote]His "assist" was a 3 yard pass that Dempsey turned into a fantastic goal by chipping beautifully over the goalkeeper.   Amazing game, great finish.But yeah, Dickson was on full "TV cameras present" form tonight.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Biggus was not a bad player. Would rate him above Francis. Wanted away and easily found a premier club that would sign him.

I love Smith but to compare him with Biggus is crazy at this moment. One has played in the prem, one has played in the third division.[/quote]Well it''s all about opinions I guess… but I find that one impossible to agree with. So I won''t.Francis was head and shoulders above Etuhu on the pitch… bit of a cock off it mind.… but we are talking about footballing ability aren''t we?Oh, how I wonder what might have been had Mrs McKenzie not got involved with a variety of tackle… *and drifts off to annoy someone else*

apart from inter who often play 11 foreigners italian football is terrible at the moment..  the players are so old  they seem to have been around for ever  [:D]