Sign in to follow this  
manbearpig

Next 3 games are must wins

got to take maximum points over the next 3 games cos after that were away too Huddersfield, swindon and home too Leeds which are going to be very difficult games especially the way were playing at the moment. Think we need to make a few changes as well give hooly and smith a break, really want to see mcnamee given 90mins.

[quote user="manbearpig"]got to take maximum points over the next 3 games cos after that were away too Huddersfield, swindon and home too Leeds which are going to be very difficult games especially the way were playing at the moment. Think we need to make a few changes as well give hooly and smith a break, really want to see mcnamee given 90mins.[/quote]

Agree with the main point you make.

Suddenly the automatic places look a lot less uncertain with everyone else (other than Leeds) winning. Today has been coming for some time now. Whilst, in theory, it''s a very commendable quality to grind out wins when not playing well, that can only last for so long before you come unstuck. If we can get at least 7 but preferably 9 points from next three games then we will have some buffer between us and the pack when we hit the ''group of death'' matches in mid / late March.

Disagree re Hoolahan and Smith though, Wes ran himself ragged for us today and, more importantly, produced what little quality we showed. The boy Holt played far too wide and / or deep and was totally ineffectual and Chris Martin spent far too much time back chatting ata opponents and the referee!

McNamee must finally start though, I think that''s clear. Then with his crosses coming in perhaps Holt will get back to doing what he does best and getting in on the end of things.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="manbearpig"]got to take maximum points over the next 3 games cos after that were away too Huddersfield, swindon and home too Leeds which are going to be very difficult games especially the way were playing at the moment. Think we need to make a few changes as well give hooly and smith a break, really want to see mcnamee given 90mins.[/quote]

Agree with the main point you make.

Suddenly the automatic places look a lot less uncertain with everyone else (other than Leeds) winning. Today has been coming for some time now. Whilst, in theory, it''s a very commendable quality to grind out wins when not playing well, that can only last for so long before you come unstuck. If we can get at least 7 but preferably 9 points from next three games then we will have some buffer between us and the pack when we hit the ''group of death'' matches in mid / late March.

Disagree re Hoolahan and Smith though, Wes ran himself ragged for us today and, more importantly, produced what little quality we showed. The boy Holt played far too wide and / or deep and was totally ineffectual and Chris Martin spent far too much time back chatting ata opponents and the referee!

McNamee must finally start though, I think that''s clear. Then with his crosses coming in perhaps Holt will get back to doing what he does best and getting in on the end of things.

[/quote]I agree with you YR... [Y]Lappin is the individual who requires dropping from the midfield.  I think that a ever growing number of people are starting to see this.  Some would like to see McNamee in his place while others fear that this would leave us too open at the back and would prefer to see Hughes take Lappin''s place instead.

I agree it would be nice to win the next 3, but I don''t think we should be scared of Huddersfield, Leeds at home or Swindon and rely on assuming we''ll beat the lesser teams.

Look what we did to Colchester.

I think the "big" games are the key ones as we the best way to pull clear is to beat those around you.

Games like Wycombe / Brighton away are really banana skins. If we lose we would be heavily criticised. If we win it''s just expected. The next 3 games fall into that category and I don''t think it would be the end of the world if we lost one.

I''d actually prefer us to be playing Leeds at home this Tuesday - I think we''d thump them the way they''re playing.

Someone mentioned the group of death period - I see it as a positive time, when we can pull away.

The ones with the most to worry about are Leeds, who just cant get a win for love nor money at the moment.  They have the last of their ''home banker'' games on Tuesday against Oldham, who are a bit of a bogey side for the Yorkshire team....they could feasibly end up with one or two points out of the ''certain 9''

Out of the last 23 games - ie half a season - we''ve won 18 drawn 2 and lost 3.  Hardly the stuff of nightmares.  I think some teams have sussed us now - Hoolahan hasnt done a lot in the last few games when he was unstoppable earlier in the season and whilst Smudger is anti-Lappin I think we''ve missed Drury more on the left

Im sure we''d all be happier if we were now 10 points clear but our closest rivals have failed to capitalise on our worst results - in fact last week we won when Leeds Colchester Swindon Huddersfield all drew and Charlton lost.  So they''ve gained ONE POINT in the last 8 days - thats all.  8 wins may well see us up (out of 14) - more than do-able and I think we''ll get more than that.  We''re in a blip at the moment - we havent really played well for weeks - but we''ve still been winning games.  Keep the faith

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

The ones with the most to worry about are Leeds, who just cant get a win for love nor money at the moment.  They have the last of their ''home banker'' games on Tuesday against Oldham, who are a bit of a bogey side for the Yorkshire team....they could feasibly end up with one or two points out of the ''certain 9''

Out of the last 23 games - ie half a season - we''ve won 18 drawn 2 and lost 3.  Hardly the stuff of nightmares.  I think some teams have sussed us now - Hoolahan hasnt done a lot in the last few games when he was unstoppable earlier in the season and whilst Smudger is anti-Lappin I think we''ve missed Drury more on the left

Im sure we''d all be happier if we were now 10 points clear but our closest rivals have failed to capitalise on our worst results - in fact last week we won when Leeds Colchester Swindon Huddersfield all drew and Charlton lost.  So they''ve gained ONE POINT in the last 8 days - thats all.  8 wins may well see us up (out of 14) - more than do-able and I think we''ll get more than that.  We''re in a blip at the moment - we havent really played well for weeks - but we''ve still been winning games.  Keep the faith

[/quote]

...and before any clever clogs quote my post along with the midweek results I''m aware Col Who won their game in hand on Tuesday, but I expected them to do so....

[quote user="chichcanary"]

I agree it would be nice to win the next 3, but I don''t think we should be scared of Huddersfield, Leeds at home or Swindon and rely on assuming we''ll beat the lesser teams.

Look what we did to Colchester.

I think the "big" games are the key ones as we the best way to pull clear is to beat those around you.

Games like Wycombe / Brighton away are really banana skins. If we lose we would be heavily criticised. If we win it''s just expected. The next 3 games fall into that category and I don''t think it would be the end of the world if we lost one.

I''d actually prefer us to be playing Leeds at home this Tuesday - I think we''d thump them the way they''re playing.

Someone mentioned the group of death period - I see it as a positive time, when we can pull away.

[/quote]

Definitely....if we can get 5 or 6 points against Swindon Leeds and Huddersfield then we''ll be sorted

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more BH. I don''t know if you''ve seen my breakdown of the top 6 this year on the "Have other teams sussed us out thread" but we''re still the most successful team in the division over the last 8 or 9 games despite the fact we''re not playing as well as before.

One defeat and suddenly we''re doomed - it''s crazy. Leeds fans must be the most worried.

Their form is terrible and they''ve done the same thing for the last few years - started well / faded into the playoffs and been knocked out.

I agree - keep the faith

I expect 9 or 7 at the very least. We cant slump in form and we must beat southend to keep moral up and I think we will, Holt needs to be the captain and lead from the front with a hat trick!