Sign in to follow this  
Good Evening Neil

The Defence

for me today the defense, especially Pele and Nelson, got found out for what they really are, league one defenders. We came up against IMO the best strike force in the league and it showed. Barnard, Lambert, Lallana and whoever that tricky little black guy on the wing are championship players. Pele and Nelson play well against the likes of Hartlepool and Brentford with League One strikers. At least we have Askou and Whitbread because i could see the other two struggling in the championship big style.

Add Martin to that as well for me. All excellent against decent league 1 opposition but I think Askou, Whitbread and Spillane have the ability to much better players

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"]

for me today the defense, especially Pele and Nelson, got found out for what they really are, league one defenders. We came up against IMO the best strike force in the league and it showed. Barnard, Lambert, Lallana and whoever that tricky little black guy on the wing are championship players. Pele and Nelson play well against the likes of Hartlepool and Brentford with League One strikers. At least we have Askou and Whitbread because i could see the other two struggling in the championship big style.

[/quote]

Don''t think I agree with any of that apart from maybe Nelson being a League One defender.

You can go on all you want about their lads being Championship players but which team is at the top of this league and which team is much much more likely to be in the Championship next season?

Today was a bad day all round. Chris Martin and Grant Holt did stuff all upfront. Lappin and Rose were poor and Southampton always looked much more dangerous down that side of the pitch than anywhere else.

To single out Doc and Nelson is harsh and well just plain wide of the mark.

Infact, just to sum this up...

Although the best team won on the day (as with any match) a quick look at the league table will show you who the best team is overall.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]

[/quote]

Don''t think I agree with any of that apart from maybe Nelson being a League One defender.

You can go on all you want about their lads being Championship players but which team is at the top of this league and which team is much much more likely to be in the Championship next season?

Today was a bad day all round. Chris Martin and Grant Holt did stuff all upfront. Lappin and Rose were poor and Southampton always looked much more dangerous down that side of the pitch than anywhere else.

[/quote]

Well said. Our front three weren''t as good as their front three on the day. 

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree today was bad all round and i could have commented on that, but i felt there are already a few reports on the game so whats the point in having another? This was just one bad point out of many that i hadn''t read about on any of the others. Sooner the game is forgotten the better. It was just, for me, an indication what could happen next season when we play better strikeforces

The Doc didn''t have one of his better games but still coped with most things!

Nelsons distribution was poor but didn''t we know that anyway?

Singling them 2 out isn''t fair!

Our final ball when attacking wasn''t good!

Nelson was blatantly pushed for their 1st goal and Russell should not have been sent of, 2 incidents that contributed massively to our defeat!

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"]

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on!

[/quote]Totally agree with this aswell, i think there''s no doubt or best back 4 it Drury Whitbread Askou Spillane, just a shame those 4 seem to be the most injury prone of all our defenders

Forster

Askou     Doherty   Whitbread

Mcnamee    Russell      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin 

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]The defence did a reasonable job today. It was further forward where the game was lost, we were swamped in midfield and nothing stuck upfront[/quote]

I thought the defence looked shaky and the midfield tired. Askou in for Nelson, Spillane for Russell and Hughes for Lappin.

Nelson and rose were torn apart on the floor, nelson did ok in teh air, neither lambert nor barnard were particularly imprerssive. doc held his own and despite the pace issue was not exposed there.

Were the whole defence was exposed was by our midfield, weak insispid and lacking energy, whereas they moved the ball well, tackled with strength and purpose and deservedly won the game for them; Puncheon had a field day against Rose; which he would not have had against Drury

Not sure why people immediately blame the centre-backs when we have a bad game - surely it was obvious to anyone watching today that the game was lost in midfield. We were overrun, couldn''t get hold of the ball, and couldn''t go forward because of this.Oh wait, I forgot - it was Doc and Nelson wasn''t it?! Obviously every time we have a bad game it''s down to them!