Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

4-4-2...?? 3-5-2 for me!

A lot of calls for this on Canary Call today and a lot of backing for a 4-4-2 but where does Hoolahan fit in a 4-4-2?

On the left? No, ineffective when we tried that last time.

One of the middle two? Alongside who? Personally, I don''t think we''d have enough grit in the midfield with Hoolahan in there. He''d leave us short when he goes off roaming wide right, wide left.

Off Holt up front? And drop Martin? Not for me.

IMO if you play a 4-4-2 you have to leave Hoolahan out and  for me this is not an option as he has been our most influential player this season.

My preference if we change system would be a 3-5-2 consisting of:

Forster

Askou     Doherty   Whitbread

Mcnamee    Russell      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin

Obviously this relies on having Askou and Whitbread back to full fitness.  

Defence isn''t goo enough for this. Might work on poor teams but a decent team would find it easy against 3 at th back like today

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Defence isn''t goo enough for this. Might work on poor teams but a decent team would find it easy against 3 at th back like today[/quote]

I''m not so sure. Recently I''ve been less than impressed with both Martin and Rose. Add Nelson to that and I think defence is suddenly looking like a weak area for us. In the 3-5-2 that I have suggested obviously it''s an attacking formation and the onus would be on us to go forward but when we have to defend Lapin would drop back and Hoolahan/Martin would drop left to tighten things up.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I think we can afford to rest hoolahan for 1 or 2 of the next 3 games.[/quote]

But do we want to? I think he''s a match winner that we need on the pitch. I think we need to freshen things up but I''d change personel rather than formation. Hughes in for Korey, Spillane for Rusty and Askou in for Nelson. Lapin would be the next one I drop/rest once Rusty returns.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]

A lot of calls for this on Canary Call today and a lot of backing for a 4-4-2 but where does Hoolahan fit in a 4-4-2?

On the left? No, ineffective when we tried that last time.

One of the middle two? Alongside who? Personally, I don''t think we''d have enough grit in the midfield with Hoolahan in there. He''d leave us short when he goes off roaming wide right, wide left.

Off Holt up front? And drop Martin? Not for me.

IMO if you play a 4-4-2 you have to leave Hoolahan out and  for me this is not an option as he has been our most influential player this season.

My preference if we change system would be a 3-5-2 consisting of:

Forster

Askou     Doherty   Whitbread

Mcnamee    Russell      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin

Obviously this relies on having Askou and Whitbread back to full fitness.  

[/quote]I reckon this could work well. And if we''re one or two up, then bring on another defender?