Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Surely it's now time for 4-4-2, starting on Tuesday!

I think it''s gotta be 4-4-2 now. We''ve not played well since the 16th of January against Colchester, over a month ago, and teams have learnt how to deal with our diamond now. 4-4-2, with Macnamee on the right, Hoolahan on the left with Hughes and Smith in the middle. Spillane in too. [Y]

But if you play Hoolahan and Hughes in centre midfield you need Hughes in the anchor role because Hoolahan will not do the defensive duties a CM player needs.  So you end up playing Hughes behind Hoolahan, and then you have a wider diamond again.  I don''t think Hoolahan can play in a 4-4-2 unless he is one of the 2 up front. For me, the diamond is all about accomodating Wes, and I wouldn''t want to drop League 1''s best playmaker.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]But if you play Hoolahan and Hughes in centre midfield you need Hughes in the anchor role because Hoolahan will not do the defensive duties a CM player needs.  So you end up playing Hughes behind Hoolahan, and then you have a wider diamond again.  I don''t think Hoolahan can play in a 4-4-2 unless he is one of the 2 up front. For me, the diamond is all about accomodating Wes, and I wouldn''t want to drop League 1''s best playmaker.[/quote]Play 4 in midfield and let Hoola roam about setting stuff up (with his one foot [:|]) and let Hughes sit back. At times today our lack of width and pace was cringeworthy.

Good call. My team would be something like.... ForsterR.Martin, Doc, Spillane (or anyone who can pass!), Rose C.Martin, Smith, Hughes, McNamme,Holt, Wes.Remember, Smith and Hughes had a great partnership going when Lambert first took charge. With Rusty out, now is a good chance to get them going again. The only selection headache is the right wing. I''d go with young Chris.Plus, does anyone who when Askou will be back? We need centre backs capable of distributing the ball.* disclaimer: if Lambert goes with the 4-3-3 until the end of the season and we win the league, it just proves he is some sort of deity, who no-one can compete with!

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Agree!

Hoola and Hughes in the centre with McNamee and Smith on the flanks.

Drop Lappin PLEASE!
[/quote]

Can we afford another attacking player on though? We were defensively very poor today, Lappin''s tracking back today was what stopped it from being more, he must of ran about 60 yards to prevent one of their players going clean through, I cannot see Mcnamee doing that. Although I agree, he was poor going forward. You would think that Holt, Martin and Hoolahan is enough to score against most teams in this division, Southampton are very stong, we WILL not play a team that good for the rest of the season. It does worry me though, if we do go up thats the sort of team we will be playing every week.

Agree. Have seen this result coming for weeks. We haven''t been playing anywhere near our best for the full 90mins. It seems that the lads have got it into their heads that we can afford to go 1 nil down and still win. With a tough run of games coming up I think it is important to give a few players a rest (for now) and also send them the message that they aren''t the be all and end all (this is only league 1 after all). My team for Tuesday:

GK Forster

RB Martin

LB Rose

CB Doc

CB Nelson

RM Mcveigh

LM Macnamee

CM Smith

CM Hughes

ST Holt

ST Martin

This team should be more than capable of beating Southend.

Have to say i was quite impressed with Wes today. He chased back and tried to win the ball, even in our own penalty area ... maybe, just maybe he could operate as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]

Plus, does anyone who when Askou will be back? We need centre backs capable of distributing the ball.

[/quote]

Assuming Whitbread is going to be as good on the ball as we all hope we''re struggling on that front until he''s fit.

The Doc can knock the ball round well enough but Nelson and Askou can''t do much with it.

Im sorry but anyone who thinks putting Wes on the wing needs to wake up an remember last season! He cant do it, he drifts into the middle leaving us exposed and is far less effective than his central role where he can roam for the ball.Its a difficult one but I would go for;                                  Forster       R. Martain       Askou       Doc       Lappin             Smith           Hughes          McNamee                                                             Hoolahan                                    Holt                       C. Martain

This depends on if Askou is fit, I would play him ahead of Nelson, even if only for an hour. I think Rose needs to be replaced and Lappin is doing nothing for us in the middle at the moment, so stick him at the back as he still gets the tackles in at the moment. I would like to see what McNamme would do with a start and I think Hughes has proved several times this season that he can be our key man in the middle creating play and picking out passes. Certainly a very attacking line up, however we have to go at Southend and score early for fear of the crowd getting restless.

Maybe your right I think that rose isn''t as good as everyone thought and could have stopped the first goal.

This one for me:

Forster

Askou     Doherty   Whitbread

Mcnamee    Russell      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin

Obviously this relies on having Askou and Whitbread back to full fitness.  

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Agree. Have seen this result coming for weeks. We haven''t been playing anywhere near our best for the full 90mins. It seems that the lads have got it into their heads that we can afford to go 1 nil down and still win. With a tough run of games coming up I think it is important to give a few players a rest (for now) and also send them the message that they aren''t the be all and end all (this is only league 1 after all). My team for Tuesday:

GK Forster

RB Martin

LB Rose

CB Doc

CB Nelson

RM Mcveigh

LM Macnamee

CM Smith

CM Hughes

ST Holt

ST Martin

This team should be more than capable of beating Southend.[/quote]So you''d leave out Hoolahan and bring in Paul McVeigh?Excuse me while I call Hellesdon Hospital.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]But if you play Hoolahan and Hughes in centre midfield you need Hughes in the anchor role because Hoolahan will not do the defensive duties a CM player needs.  So you end up playing Hughes behind Hoolahan, and then you have a wider diamond again.  I don''t think Hoolahan can play in a 4-4-2 unless he is one of the 2 up front. For me, the diamond is all about accomodating Wes, and I wouldn''t want to drop League 1''s best playmaker.[/quote]Agreed.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]But if you play Hoolahan and Hughes in centre midfield you need Hughes in the anchor role because Hoolahan will not do the defensive duties a CM player needs.  So you end up playing Hughes behind Hoolahan, and then you have a wider diamond again.  I don''t think Hoolahan can play in a 4-4-2 unless he is one of the 2 up front. For me, the diamond is all about accomodating Wes, and I wouldn''t want to drop League 1''s best playmaker.[/quote]I agree, we do have to build round Hoolihan or drop him.

What!! Go 4-4-2 and play with wingers!! You can''t do that, nobody plays with wingers anymore! It''s old fashioned don''t you know! Just ask the majority of this message board if you don''t believe me!Yeah, I know winger, Hackett, set up the winning goal against us at Millwall and Southampton beat us soundly yesterday fielding a 4-4-2 with wingers (Lallana and Puncheon) but that''s besides the point. [:P]

[quote user="Shyster"]What!! Go 4-4-2 and play with wingers!! You can''t do that, nobody plays with wingers anymore! It''s old fashioned don''t you know! Just ask the majority of this message board if you don''t believe me!Yeah, I know winger, Hackett, set up the winning goal against us at Millwall and Southampton beat us soundly yesterday fielding a 4-4-2 with wingers (Lallana and Puncheon) but that''s besides the point. [:P][/quote]

Oh, and just seen that Whaley scored on his Chesterfield debut yesterday, just like he netted a few times for both Bradford and Rochdale on loan.Rumour has it, is that Whaley is a pacy right-winger. How can this be? Football teams don''t play with wingers anymore - especially within a 4-4-2 formation that is so terribly outdated.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]What!! Go 4-4-2 and play with wingers!! You can''t do that, nobody plays with wingers anymore! It''s old fashioned don''t you know! Just ask the majority of this message board if you don''t believe me!

Yeah, I know winger, Hackett, set up the winning goal against us at Millwall and Southampton beat us soundly yesterday fielding a 4-4-2 with wingers (Lallana and Puncheon) but that''s besides the point. [:P]
[/quote]

Oh, and just seen that Whaley scored on his Chesterfield debut yesterday, just like he netted a few times for both Bradford and Rochdale on loan.

Rumour has it, is that Whaley is a pacy right-winger. How can this be? Football teams don''t play with wingers anymore - especially within a 4-4-2 formation that is so terribly outdated.
[/quote]

Dunno about rumours. But here is a fact. He simply wasn''t up to it. Oldham didnt offer him a deal and they are near the bottom of league 1. He only got a deal at Chesterfield until the end of the season. Surely if he should be getting into our team most other sides around us would want to snap him up.