Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Was it really a sell-out yesterday ?

I was surprised to see that the attendance was only 23,103 yesterday, in view of the fact that people were saying during the week that the match was sold out. I would have expected the figure to  be around 25,000 after having read that all tickets returned by the Saints had been sold. [:^)]   

[quote user="paul moy"]I was surprised to see that the attendance was only 23,103 yesterday, in view of the fact that people were saying during the week that the match was sold out. I would have expected the figure to  be around 25,000 after having read that all tickets returned by the Saints had been sold. [:^)]   [/quote]That figure quoted on the BBC site is wrong, we had over 25,000.

[quote user="paul moy"]I was surprised to see that the attendance was only 23,103 yesterday, in view of the fact that people were saying during the week that the match was sold out. I would have expected the figure to  be around 25,000 after having read that all tickets returned by the Saints had been sold. [:^)]   [/quote]

According to the online ticketing it was a home fan sell out, but it didn''t look like it.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Lineo"]Eh? It was 25,000[/quote]

The Mail on Sunday says 23,103.... [:O]

[/quote]So does the official site.Yeah they did say over 25k at the game, odd.

The Press Association (whom the BBC, Soccerbase and all the papers get their data from) wrongly reported the attendance as 23,103 when it was announced as 25,103 during the match.

...it was definitely 25103 that was announced, and there were only really any spaces (plenty of them) in the Saints area, so that sounds about right; it is presumably a misprint.

Oddly enough, not long ago we had an attendance quoted in several papers at 26500 or thereabouts - certainly whatever it was was higher than our capacity.

but that still means almost 1000 people didn''t turn up....if it was a sell-out, isn''t the official capacity 26,006 or something like that?

Even in sell out crowds there is always the odd empty seat because of people not turning up. I think the capacity is something like 25,500 - and in any case I believe the club calculates it''s figure on the number of seats sold not how many were actually there.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Lineo"]Eh? It was 25,000
[/quote]

The Mail on Sunday says 23,103.... [:O]

[/quote]

the mail were wrong. saw that today and went to the game

The official capacity is higher than we''ll ever actually get (certainly with away supporters there) because of segregation - seems that there''s always an unused column about 6-7 seats wide between home and away supporters in the Jarrold so we''d never actually reach the official capacity. I''d have also said the away bit was only 2/3 full at best.

Thanks Branston for your explanation of crowd capacity etc.

It never ceases to amaze me that people simply can''t get round that simple fact. It''s almost if some take great delight in knocking our tremendous support

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Thanks Branston for your explanation of crowd capacity etc. It never ceases to amaze me that people simply can''t get round that simple fact. It''s almost if some take great delight in knocking our tremendous support[/quote]

Who''s knocking the support ? [:O]

Hmm yes, it was definately 25,103, however many many people are saying it was 23,103, including canaries.co.uk and bbc website. [:S]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]It was 25,103 - stick with the pinkun....[/quote]Haha. [:)] Always will. It''s a wiseful choice. [;)]

[quote user="Brendo "]however many many people are saying it was 23,103, including canaries.co.uk and bbc website. [:S][/quote]Because, as I said, they are lifting it straight from the Press Association who provide all the live match data. They are the ones who got it wrong.They make these gaffes quite a lot. Earlier this season they insisted Darel Russell got the last minute equaliser at Yeovil when he was nowhere near it!