Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Oh dear, oh dear... (Lee Barnard)

How many still agree that we should not have made a greater effort to sign Lee Barnard???How many also think that this may be the start of the end for Simon Lappin?  I am pretty sure it was Lappin who was due to come off for McNamee just before Russell got his marching orders from the ref.Will the team for Tuesday night be just Hughes in for Russell or is it time for Lambert to start the match with a more daring line-up?

Thats why we have a squad of 15 - 20 decent league 1 players, bout time wh started using a few more, Lappin will stay in the team for now ahead of Adeyemi while Rusty is out.

[quote user="Smudger"]How many still agree that we should not have made a greater effort to sign Lee Barnard???How many also think that this may be the start of the end for Simon Lappin?  I am pretty sure it was Lappin who was due to come off for McNamee just before Russell got his marching orders from the ref.Will the team for Tuesday night be just Hughes in for Russell or is it time for Lambert to start the match with a more daring line-up?[/quote]Well well well, didnt take you long did it smudger ?

I wouldnt change the system just the personel

My ideal team if everyone was fit would be:

Forster, Drury, Whitbread, Askou, Spillane, Smith, Hughes, Hoolahan, Russell, Holt, Martin.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

Maybe. But would have agreed to have joined us just to sit on the bench?

[/quote]I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.[/quote]How about we sign every player in the league then nobody can score against us.

[quote user="fonejacker"]I would expect that red card to be rescinded.[/quote]Lets hope so... and then McNamee in for Lappin on the left... [Y]If not then the same but with Hughes coming in for the suspended Russell.

This bloke really must be on a wind up. Minutes, just minutes after one, just one, bad result, he''s up and at it again. Expect a tidal wave of '' the end is night '' posts, just as we get a tidal wave of '' we are Champions League'' posts after we beat a Hartlepool.

I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again: perspective and reasoned, rational responses are the stuff of long term happiness, health and the greatest common good

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.

I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.

How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.
[/quote]

I don''t know what the situation was. It would have been nice to have had that luxury with Holt facing an impending suspension when he gets these two yellows. But the problem is not the strikers at the moment. We were outplayed today long before the sending off. They had 60% + of the ball

To be fair we beat Bristol Rovers when they were top 6, we thrashed Colchester, beat Swindon, got a point against Charlton, thought we were unfortunate against Leeds and MK Dons

Time for a change, we have not been playing well since the Colchester match. I think we are missing Dury and Lappin is struggling as a result. Rose sounds of the pace and I think Nelson could also be watching his back with Askou on his way back.

What must also be said though is Southampton sounded like they played very well and credit due to them... it would have hurt more if this was Stockport etc.

[quote user="Norwich R Us"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.[/quote]How about we sign every player in the league then nobody can score against us.[/quote]Yawn, yawn... typical response from one who was more than likely telling us that Cody and/or Oli were good enough to step in to Holty''s shoes a few short weeks ago!Do you still think that McNamee should remain on the bench for that far superior Simon Lappin also???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Norwich R Us"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.[/quote]How about we sign every player in the league then nobody can score against us.[/quote]Yawn, yawn... typical response from one who was more than likely telling us that Cody and/or Oli were good enough to step in to Holty''s shoes a few short weeks ago![/quote]Without Holt, we picked up 6 points from 9.Since Holt has returned, we''ve picked up 3 points from 6...

I know it fruitless trying to "do" logic with Smudger but two points...

Which bit of £23m in debt do you not understand? We cannot buy players as if it were a job lot.

What we need to do, IF we have any money, is to plug the one obvious gap in the squad (a gap that has been there all season) and that is an occasional replacement for Holt.

Barnard never was that guy. He is at a stage in his career when he wants to play, AND he isn''t an out and out target man. As shown today, he is playing WITH Lambert, not INSTEAD of him. We have Martin to do that, with Macdonald and Johnson as back-up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Norwich R Us"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]I don''t know... but did we even try to sign him?  I have heard no suggestion come from the club to suggest that we may of done.I guess it would of depended on how much we were prepared to show that he would of been part of a squad that was looking for automatic promotion, but a club that was also not going to sit on it''s laurels and was already building for ensuring that their squad was strong enough for Championship football the following season.How many points have we picked up against the bigger teams in this league?  That particular record still isn''t looking great and seems to suggest just how far some fans are getting carried away with the ability of certain players in our squad.[/quote]How about we sign every player in the league then nobody can score against us.[/quote]Yawn, yawn... typical response from one who was more than likely telling us that Cody and/or Oli were good enough to step in to Holty''s shoes a few short weeks ago![/quote]Without Holt, we picked up 6 points from 9.Since Holt has returned, we''ve picked up 3 points from 6...[/quote]...and your point is??? [:^)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I know it fruitless trying to "do" logic with Smudger but two points...

Which bit of £23m in debt do you not understand? We cannot buy players as if it were a job lot.

What we need to do, IF we have any money, is to plug the one obvious gap in the squad (a gap that has been there all season) and that is an occasional replacement for Holt.

Barnard never was that guy. He is at a stage in his career when he wants to play, AND he isn''t an out and out target man. As shown today, he is playing WITH Lambert, not INSTEAD of him. We have Martin to do that, with Macdonald and Johnson as back-up.[/quote]^ end of thread ^

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I know it fruitless trying to "do" logic with Smudger but two points...

Barnard never was that guy. He is at a stage in his career when he wants to play, AND he isn''t an out and out target man. As shown today, he is playing WITH Lambert, not INSTEAD of him. We have Martin to do that, with Macdonald and Johnson as back-up.[/quote]^ end of thread ^

Barnard never was that guy. He is at a stage in his career when he wants to play, AND he isn''t an out and out target man. As shown today, he is playing WITH Lambert, not INSTEAD of him. We have Martin to do that, with Macdonald and Johnson as back-up.[/quote]I beg to differ... Barnard is good in the air, has good movement and can hold the ball up!Can Oli or Cody or any of our other strikers with the exception of Holt do those 3 things as well as Barnard?

Although I know you were banging the Barnard drum over January, I dont think he was what we needed at the time. Our front three have been on fire, and frankly at the time, and right now, Im not sure where he would fit in other than warming the bench. As someone mentioned earlier, I doubt he would be happy with that given that hes one of the top scorers in the division.If further money were to be spent Id rather it have been on a right winger so we could play a proper 4-4-2. And obviously if we were to go to a 4-4-2 then that would probably mean one of the front three being dropped, meaning Barnard would be very unlikely to get a game.Other than preventing him from scoring two goals today, and spending money for the sake of it (Which we cant do) I dont see how Barnard would have been a realistic target.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I know it fruitless trying to "do" logic with Smudger but two points...

Barnard never was that guy. He is at a stage in his career when he wants to play, AND he isn''t an out and out target man. As shown today, he is playing WITH Lambert, not INSTEAD of him. We have Martin to do that, with Macdonald and Johnson as back-up.[/quote]I beg to differ... Barnard is good in the air, has good movement and can hold the ball up!Can Oli or Cody or any of our other strikers with the exception of Holt do those 3 things as well as Barnard?[/quote]Smudger, I wasn''t at the game, so you may well be right to say he can hold the ball up better than Macdonald or Johnson. That would not surprise me in the slightest. But that still. doesn''t make him a replacement for Holt, which is the one obvious thing we need.And I come back to my main points. We simply do not have the money to improve the squad where it is already OK. We MAY have the money for one that one obvious thing.And the other point is this. Barnard started today. If he had joined us he presumably would have been on the bench. If I was a professional player I know which I would prefer.

Whether Lee Barnard or not was the man to sign I''ve always thought another striker would have been handy.

Today, for example, Holt was everywhere he shouldn''t have been and Chris Martin didn''t want to know until the last few minutes.

No proven options on the bench. That said, I think the manager should have found a way to get OJ on.

A right winger would be a better use of funds to be honest. That way we then have a genuine plan B

theres no way MacNamee can come in for Lappin if we are going to use the diamond system, plenty of times today when their players went past him and he didnt even bother to try and get back to help out, if we go for 4 4 2 then i would have himk in the right and Lappin on the left

[quote user="Yarmyed"]A right winger would be a better use of funds to be honest. That way we then have a genuine plan B[/quote]I agree that we need a right winger, but more importantly I would say that we need a decent left footed midfielder who can put their foot in to take the place of that fairy Lappin.  Playing the diamond you need 1 x creative player (Hoolahan) and 3 players who are extremely solid with hopefully one of those adding a bit of creativity and/or pace too.  For me Lappin does not offer enough of any of those qualities.I would rather start McNamee in the left hand point of the diamond because his pace and creativity will pin most defences back in this league.  If our oppositions defence is pinned back then that will ensure that our left full back finds it easier to defend.  I think that McNamee would win just as many tackles as Lappin does anyhow, even though the majority on here would disagree with that.  I think that Lambert could make McNamee in to a little ball winning terrier down that line in this division.We still need somebody else to lead the line upfront though.  Cody and Oli can both do jobs in 20 min spells, but both are very young raw talents and are not up to playing for the first team week in week out.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]theres no way MacNamee can come in for Lappin if we are going to use the diamond system, plenty of times today when their players went past him and he didnt even bother to try and get back to help out, if we go for 4 4 2 then i would have himk in the right and Lappin on the left[/quote]How many times did Lappin get back to help out his defence today?  Was he even on the pitch?  Can hardly say that I have noticed he has been there in most matches since the turn of the year!

Maybe we could have tried harder to buy Barnard - but that is assuming we hadn''t already tried our best, but for me, i think the real danger in trying to to sign Barnard too hard is that it would have unsettled Chris Martin, who at the time, had not signed the extension to his contract which expired at the end of the season.

I guess the question is Martin or Barnard?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]theres no way MacNamee can come in for Lappin if we are going to use the diamond system, plenty of times today when their players went past him and he didnt even bother to try and get back to help out, if we go for 4 4 2 then i would have himk in the right and Lappin on the left
[/quote]

How many times did Lappin get back to help out his defence today?  Was he even on the pitch?  Can hardly say that I have noticed he has been there in most matches since the turn of the year!
[/quote]

Too weak on our left side today.

Rose and Lappin couldn''t cope with the pace and movement of Puncheon with the threat of Otsemobor''s pace in support.

And both of them were ball when in possession of the ball.

There was a moment in the first half when Rose and Holt were on for Lappin to knock a ball into the channel for them but for some reason he ignored and tried to play that ridiculous cross field diagonal which barely got off the ground and got cut out easily.