Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Rusty's Red and todays performance

Wasn''t at the game today due to going paintballing (Never been), so can someone tell me whether his red was deserved or whether it will be appealed and how likely the appeal be approven?Also some info on todays game (Whether it''s our wqorst performance so far?) with player ratings will be nice (:Cheers!

Just back from the game.The red card looked a very harsh decision, Russell jumped but stuck out a leg at the same time and the Southampton player appeared to fall over.  I can only assume the ref thought Russell kung-fu kicked the player, who made an absolute meal of it in the way all Pardew sides seem to (also they were excellent at timewasting).That aside, Soton deserved to win.  We were laborious and ponderous, Nelson was absolute garbage, Rose lacks composure, the entire back 4 were poor actually, and we looked tired.Ratings;Forster 7 - could have been 3 or 4-0, he even almost saved the free kick which was a peachRose - 5Nelson - 3Doc - 5R Martin - 5Lappin - 5.5Smith - 5.5 - needs a restHoolahan - 5Russell - 5Holt - 5Martin - 5

I had a very clear view from the snakepit:
Russell did put his foot very high and his studs did go into the Southampton player''s chest. However, he had absoultely no idea the player was even there and had he have not caught him he would not have even been punished with a free kick against him

Forster 9 - couldnt have played much better against a strong attacking team
Rose - 4
Nelson - 5
Doc - 5.5
R Martin - 6
Lappin - 4.5
Smith - 5.5
Hoolahan - 6.5
Russell - 5
Holt - 5.5
Martin - 6.5

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]I had a very clear view from the snakepit:Russell did put his foot very high and his studs did go into the Southampton player''s chest. However, he had absoultely no idea the player was even there and had he have not caught him he would not have even been punished with a free kick against him[/quote]Yes, I was in the Upper Barclay and thought similar - it can''t be violent conduct if the player was on Russell''s blind side and was unseen.  Should have been a free kick for dangerous play and a talking to, but not a yellow and a straight red is crazy - we should appeal it straight away.

I was in the N and P and it looked like a ridiculous decision to send him off from where I was. Genuinely surprised when the ref whipped out the red. Didn''t do us any favours but we were pants anyway.Forster - 7R. Martin - 4Nelson - 5Doherty - 6Rose - 3Russell - 5Smith - 6Lappin - 3Hoolahan - 4Holt - 5C. Martin - 4

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Yes, I think blaming our defeat on the red card would be like saying Germany lost World War 2 because of their satchels.

[/quote]

I think there may be a stadium divide hear. Those who saw it from the Barclay end can''t deny he caught him and it looked bad, but there was no intent so i dont know which of the laws of the game he broke to be sent off.
The red card may have cost us a point, but certainly not a win. We would have been lucky to get a point from a strong saints team today

I was astonished when the red card came out. Russell could not possibly have known the player was there.

We deserved to lose, no question, but I haven''t seen us play poorly for 90 mins under Lambert and it would have been interesting to see whether we could have got back into it. McNamee was ready to come on when Russell was sent off. 1-0 down with half an hour to go and a new attacking threat - it would have been interesting. But the sending off ruined our chances of getting back into the game.

Forster - 8 - decent game I thought

Martin - 7 - looked solid enough and often outnumbered on the right. Offered nothing going forward.

Nelson - 5 - won a couple of headers at the start and I thought I had been harsh on him in previous games. Utter garbage after that. What sums it up is that our defence looked no shakier without him than when he was on the field.

Rose - 4 - headless chicken. Get well soon, Adam.

Russell - 6 - solid enough game until he was sent off

Lappin - 5 - anonymous

Smith - 5 - ran around a lot, but not sure what he did to get MoM.

Hoolahan - 7 - lots of effort, turned up everywhere, desperate to get the ball but didn''t see enough of it.

Holt  - 6- strangely off the pace.

Martin - 4 - I think he must have learned to read, and is starting to believe his own publicity. GJP will be sharpening his keyboard about ''super'' Chris, I am sure.

From where I was it looked a Red really. His foot was very high, and contact was made. Sending off every day of the week for me. [:(]What did others make of it?

[quote user="West Ham Canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Yes, I think blaming our defeat on the red card would be like saying Germany lost World War 2 because of their satchels.

[/quote]

I think there may be a stadium divide hear. Those who saw it from the Barclay end can''t deny he caught him and it looked bad, but there was no intent so i dont know which of the laws of the game he broke to be sent off.
The red card may have cost us a point, but certainly not a win. We would have been lucky to get a point from a strong saints team today[/quote]

I was in the Barclay and couldn''t believe he was sent off.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Must admit to being fairly relieved it was only 2-0.
[/quote]

Indeed. We could have been punished more heavily. I felt Nelson went off too early, there was a lot of football to be played and it invited even more pressure on to us.

Player wise I thought Doherty and Smith were our best performers. At the other end of it I thought Rose and Lappin were poor. Holt and Martin did very little to cause their defence any problems.

I actually thought Nelson defended pretty well again. But it''s easier to spot the balls he kicked into the stands than some of the excellent defensive headers he won.

And it''d be fair to say that Jon Otsemobor caused us more problems than any of our lads caused him.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

[quote user="West Ham Canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Yes, I think blaming our defeat on the red card would be like saying Germany lost World War 2 because of their satchels.

[/quote]

The red card may have cost us a point, but certainly not a win. We would have been lucky to get a point from a strong saints team today[/quote]

I was in the Barclay and couldn''t believe he was sent off.

[/quote]

Couldn''t believe he got sent off, but you cannot deny that it was the type of challenge where i feared the referee may have seen it in a bad light

We were woeful all over the pitch today, the only one to come out of the game with any credit was Forster. Two defeats in 3 games and several poor performances on the trot since Col who is very worrying indeed, Southend has now become a must win game. Southampton were good today but we made them look like world beaters at times, red card was an absolute joke but I doubt we''d have got anything from the game anyway.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Martin - 4 - I think he must have learned to read, and is starting to believe his own publicity. GJP will be sharpening his keyboard about ''super'' Chris, I am sure.

[/quote]

Haha.

And there was me thinking nobody takes any notice of what I say.

I think it''s the same point as always from me when it comes to Chris Martin... he''s a talented player but when he''s lazy and swans around the pitch he lets himself down. That happened today.

From the Barclay I say it shouldn''t have been as red, and like many have said it seemed as if Russell had no idea that the player was so near to him.

In my opinion, R.Martin should have got MOM. Nelson and Rose were awful. Hopefully Spillane will be introduced on tuesday. A lot of the players just simply didn''t wake up today..... I was also impressed with the space McNamee got into but that was probably due to the poor marking of Mr Jon Otsemobor!

Was in the Snakepit and thought it was definitely a red. I really don''t get all this ''intentional'' garbage, because it''s irrelevant. You can''t kick a guy in the chest, even if it is accidental, and expect to stay on the pitch.

If it was the other way ''round, we''d have all been screaming for a sending off.

[quote user="Jen_Jen "]From the Barclay I say it shouldn''t have been as red, and like many have said it seemed as if Russell had no idea that the player was so near to him. In my opinion, R.Martin should have got MOM. Nelson and Rose were awful. Hopefully Spillane will be introduced on tuesday. A lot of the players just simply didn''t wake up today..... I was also impressed with the space McNamee got into but that was probably due to the poor marking of Mr Jon Otsemobor![/quote]

So R Martin was your MOM but you want Spillane to come in?

to be sent off for violent conduct which is the only thing he could have been sent off for there has to be intent, its in the rules and obviously there is no way rusty could have seen him whilst watching the ball drop over his shoulder so no way any intent could be involved

I havent seen the tackle, but the reverse rule generally applies in this situation.If the tackle was on a Norwich player would we have been screaming for a sending off?Intents a tough thing to describe. A studs up, two footed tackle that breaks someones leg may be unintentional, but its still a sending off. But If Russell had no idea there was anyone around him who he may collide with then Id say thats a yellow card and a warning.

[quote]If it was the other way ''round, we''d have all been screaming for a sending off.[/quote]
but when you are fully focussed on getting the ball things change. I think a yellow would have suited the situation. Of course if it was against us we would have been screaming for a red card, but we might not have expected one, thats a different thing altoghether

Matt, you''ve been listening to too much of Neil Adams.

Besides, showing your studs at chest height counts as violent conduct, in my book. And obviously the refs, too.

Russell was stupid. He could easily have headed the ball instead.

[quote]

Matt, you''ve been listening to too much of Neil Adams.

Besides, showing your studs at chest height counts as violent conduct, in my book. And obviously the refs, too.

Russell was stupid. He could easily have headed the ball instead.

[/quote]

The official verdict appears to agree with you
"63:30 Sent off Darel Russell shown a red card for violent conduct."
I dont think its violent conduct if you''re not aware you are putting anyone else in danger 

Would I have been screaming for a card if that had been on a Norwich player?

I can honestly say no. At best I would have joined in the mild ''raargraah'' sound Carrow Road makes when it feels a free kick might be needed.

From where I was in the Jarrold it liked like their defender was behind Russell and ran into his foot, not a red card for me.

Spillane in yes, but not to replace R.Martin. I''m sure Spillane could do the job as CB or if he does play RB, move Martin over to LB as he has played there before and played well.

Definitely not a red. Russels foot was going up as the guy came from behind him. Unless he has eyes up his arse then there cant have been a voilent conduct as there was noone there when he raised his foot.

Will be appealed and should be overturned.

We were a yard short and too slow today, both in our movement and distribution. They were good but we made them look outstanding. Tuesday night will be an interesting one. A poor performance and a defeat gives PL a chance to change things round.

[quote user="Jen_Jen "]Spillane in yes, but not to replace R.Martin. I''m sure Spillane could do the job as CB or if he does play RB, move Martin over to LB as he has played there before and played well.[/quote]

Very unlikely, I think.

If anyone is going to come in at the centre of defence it''ll be Askou. But I think Doc and Nelson will be there on Tuesday night. Spillane isn''t strong enough in that position.