Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

The Defence

I think we will all agree that our defence has gone from quite solid, to in the last few weeks, quite shakey.  This is with the back four of, R.Martin, Doherty, Nelson, Rose.  Now in my opinion, these four players are not good enough, we are conceding goals and at times are being ripped apart at the back by League 1 teams with this back four.  Each player has their good points, but when they play together it''s like watching a comedy act.

Russel Martin - At first he seemed quite solid at right back and our best right back since Edworthy.  However, he has looked poor in the air, his clearences seem to go up and no where else, he has been sloppy and has been beaten 1 on 1, on numerous occasions.

Gary Doherty - Yes he has done well this season with a few good performances and he has scored a few goals but since Askou has been injured the partnership of him and Nelson has been awful.  He has been sloppy in possesion when he seemed to have sorted that out, been climbing on peoples backs again and has been back to his usual self again.

Michael Nelson - The same as Doherty really, if you ask him to head, clear, tackle and block he is the best in the business, but anything else he is one of the worst.  Typical League 1 defender, when he''s on his game he is solid, when he''s below par he is very very sloppy.

Michael Rose - Good left foot, great long throw, but thats about it really.  Like R.Martin he is poor in the air and he gets caught out in the air quite a lot.  In the tackle he is strong but sometimes a bit too strong and a bit wild.

This defence has been weak and I think this is why we have not been performing aswell.  We have been good going forward from the off for the first ten minutes or so, but then as soon as the other team have a spell of possesion and put a bit of pressure on us this defence is not capable and we caught in our own half trying to defend and not being able to get the ball forward.

Spillane, Whitbread, Askou and Drury in my opinion is our strongest back four, and I know they are injured but the quicker they come back the better.

I know this post won''t be popular, but this has been happening for a few games now.

The fault may not just be with the defence. The midfield sometimes are guilty, or go absent.

The midfield is slightly lightweight, and for a time we got away with it, but perhaps we have to think again - Rusty''s absence will force a re-think, anyway.

The issues yesterday were threefold.   The main issue with the team was a lack of energy, from front to back;  complacency maybe but it did not seem we wanted or could be bothered to win.

Secondly the midfield were completely second rate - to everything.   And that made things easy for soton and so difficult for the defence.

Thirdly soton used the time they had from our weak midfield to get the ball to their right.  All their good threats came from that directioon because they taregted our vulnerable slot - Rose and Nelson.

Without the first two happening the defence is not put under pressure;   when anything is put under pressure the weak points fail - and thats what happened yesterday.

Doc and Askou has been our best central defensive pairing this season and I would expect PL to put them together again as soon as he feels Jens is match fit again. I wouldn''t be surprised to see this pairing as early as this Tuesday. Spillane was playing really well at RB bu I don''t see PL changing R Martin soon. Rose is surely just a stop gap until Drury is fit. PL might recall Wiggins but I doubt it.There clearly has to be a change in midfield Tuesday unless Rusty''s red card is appealed and the appeal upheld. I would expect Gill to take Rusty''s place. Maybe lappin will be rested for Hughes or McNamee but again i don''t see PL going for mass changes in what has been a generally settled and successful team. Right now I think we have to lift the lads with strong vocal support and help them to get back on track by letting them know we are 100% behind them. I certainly hope there is no repeat of the disgraceful booing that occurred at halftime Saturday.

if all fit

Drury Askou Whitbread Martin

i have never been Dohertys biggest fan but i have to admit he is better than most defenders in this league.

However when we bought (for more than we paid for Holt or Hooahan) him he was a `premier league defender` and you would expect most `premier league defenders` to play well in league one.

[quote user="tom1902"]if all fit Drury Askou Whitbread Martin i have never been Dohertys biggest fan but i have to admit he is better than most defenders in this league. However when we bought (for more than we paid for Holt or Hooahan) him he was a `premier league defender` and you would expect most `premier league defenders` to play well in league one.[/quote]

I just don''t get the exclusion of Doherty without any good reason.

Whitbread we haven''t seen yet and isn''t fit enough. So I would have to go with:

Martin Askou Doherty Drury

With Whitbread fit its between him and Askou who gets it as Doherty has assured his place in the squad since Lamberts arrival.

We may well of bought Doherty as a ''Premier League'' Defender but we bought a League 1 striker and playmaker, so the price isn''t an issue really as its all relative.

ok

my reason is - In my opinion -

he is not good enough to play in the Championship

everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it is not the same as yours

and having watched every match since 2004 - every match Doherty has played in for NCFC - that is my honest opinion

- you have every right to disagree

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[quote user="tom1902"]if all fit Drury Askou Whitbread Martin i have never been Dohertys biggest fan but i have to admit he is better than most defenders in this league. However when we bought (for more than we paid for Holt or Hooahan) him he was a `premier league defender` and you would expect most `premier league defenders` to play well in league one.[/quote]

Whitbread we haven''t seen yet and isn''t fit enough. So I would have to go with:

With Whitbread fit its between him and Askou who gets it as Doherty has assured his place in the squad since Lamberts arrival.

We may well of bought Doherty as a ''Premier League'' Defender but we bought a League 1 striker and playmaker, so the price isn''t an issue really as its all relative.

[/quote]

I''m looking at this as playing our strongest and most reliable defence.  Doherty is not reliable, he has played well this season but has found his level.  However saying this he has looked like his normal self when partnering Nelson and I think Askou - Whitbread is a lot more sloid and reliable than Askou - Doherty.

I''m also looking at this for next season when we will probably be playing in the Championship, and Doherty has shown us time and time again he is not a Championship defender which is another reason why I would replace him for Whitbread.

[quote user="Boyo''"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[/quote]

I''m looking at this as playing our strongest and most reliable defence.  Doherty is not reliable, he has played well this season but has found his level.  However saying this he has looked like his normal self when partnering Nelson and I think Askou - Whitbread is a lot more sloid and reliable than Askou - Doherty.

I''m also looking at this for next season when we will probably be playing in the Championship, and Doherty has shown us time and time again he is not a Championship defender which is another reason why I would replace him for Whitbread.

[/my thoughts exactly]