Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

First choice centre backs.

Who would you choose when we have all fully fit. I think we are infact VERY lucky to have 5 quality centre back''s, in Spillane, Doc, Nelson, Askou, and Whitbread.My chouse is Askou and Doc. Nelson too clumsy and slow for me. And haven''t seen enough of Whitbread to put him there, and Spillane I think better as cover for R.Martin. What you think?

In order of preference:

Doherty & Whitbread
Doherty & Askou
Askou & Whitbread
Spillane & Whitbread
Spillane & Askou

Basically, I don''t think Nelson is good enough. Yes, he played in (and did well) a number of games we won, but let''s not be sentimental. There are better CB''s than him at the club, and consequently he should not be first choice. Plus it just works better have players who favour different foots.

Nothing against Nelson, as I can see why he''d be a very decent player for most teams in this league. However, we are not most teams, we should be playing in the Championship next year and thus we should be favouring the players we have of Championship quality. (Whitbread definitely is, and I believe Askou and Doherty are both decent enough at that level, with Spillane as a back-up CB but used more on the right) Sadly, it''s painfully obvious that Nelson is a million miles off being a Championship player.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

In order of preference:Doherty & WhitbreadDoherty & AskouAskou & WhitbreadSpillane & WhitbreadSpillane & AskouBasically, I don''t think Nelson is good enough. Yes, he played in (and did well) a number of games we won, but let''s not be sentimental. There are better CB''s than him at the club, and consequently he should not be first choice. Plus it just works better have players who favour different foots.Nothing against Nelson, as I can see why he''d be a very decent player for most teams in this league. However, we are not most teams, we should be playing in the Championship next year and thus we should be favouring the players we have of Championship quality. (Whitbread definitely is, and I believe Askou and Doherty are both decent enough at that level, with Spillane as a back-up CB but used more on the right) Sadly, it''s painfully obvious that Nelson is a million miles off being a Championship player.

[/quote]I actually agree with that. Didn''t feel man enough to criticise Nelson on here. [:$]

Haha, well I fully expect to get slated for ''scapegoating'' as well when all that''s being done is highlighting what seems to me a clear weakness in our squad. As I said, he''s done well, but ultimately he won''t be good enough next season (if we go up) and we have better options now so why not use them when they''re fully fit?

Hoping to see Doherty with Askou on Tuesday night, but I''m pretty confident Lambert will stick with Nelson for now.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

Haha, well I fully expect to get slated for ''scapegoating'' as well when all that''s being done is highlighting what seems to me a clear weakness in our squad. As I said, he''s done well, but ultimately he won''t be good enough next season (if we go up) and we have better options now so why not use them when they''re fully fit?

Hoping to see Doherty with Askou on Tuesday night, but I''m pretty confident Lambert will stick with Nelson for now.

[/quote]Amen to that, brother! [Y] Let''s hope.

Doherty and Whitbread for me, preferably with Spillane at right back to give extra height when defending set pieces.

Part of the reason for the slump in form a patched up defence which contains three players who would not be first choice if everyone was fit.

Askou is good back up to have on the bench. Nelson is like Ronseal-you get what see-an honest guy who gives his all and won''t let anyone down but who isn''t comfortable on the ball and will continue to be exposed when up against genuine pace or movement

Askou and Whitbread for me. But how can leave Doc out at the moment I guess? Nelson is very good to have as a squad player

It''s no coincidence that we played ever so much much better when we had Askou/Doc together, it seemed like the whole team felt more assured. Hoping that they play together again tomorrow, I think we''ll see a cleansheet and normal service resumed! it would be great to see Whitbread play though, but i wouldn''t wish to disrupt the backline too much with too many changes.

I would put Nelson ahead of Spillane. Spillane hasn''t filled me with confidence as a centre back. I''m sure he''ll go on to be a better player than Nelson, but at the moment I''d prefer to see him at right back.

Doc & Whitbread for me.

For right side its Doc, Nelson then Spillane,  on left Whitbread then Askou,  although that based on a very limited showing from Whitbread and could be harsh on Jens.

Spillane does not seem to have enough in the air or positionally to be good enough for cb.   However I would like to see him at right back once he is fit again.  

Askou and Whitbread for me, with Spillane on the right as I think R.Martin is just about good enough for L1, but not CCC quality.

Order of preference

Askou

Whitbread

Doherty

Nelson

Spillane

Whitbread is class, there is no denying this , as he proved it all last season.

Nelson is decent for a league one club, but dose not suit our style of play.

Spillane is young but in my opinion unproven, but hopefully he will be good in the future.

Askou is good in the air and has decent ball control, this makes up for his slight lack of pace.

I am self confessed `Anti-Doherty` but i wont slate him because he has been good this season.

When Whitbread played, i wonderd if he really was a defender....didn''t seem to know how to tackle, could head and pass the ball very well...would probably be a better CM....

yes but when Doherty plays i wonder if a steward has taken a wrong turning in the tunnel and has somehow ended up on the pitch

this is a harmless joke as he is not really that goo..bad