Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Our problem is the fans, we're just too quiet

I''ve already commented on this last night but some of the ignorant posts about the ground being quiet make my bloob boil!

The atmosphere at yesterdays game wasn''t the loudest but it certainly wasn''t quiet!

The Y''army chants were regular as well as derogstory chants at yesterdays abysmal referee!

The fact of the matter is that many homes games this season have been straightforward wins against small clubs we in our history haven''t played  much - that is why the atmosphere at some games has been muted!

Those who went to away games in the premiership season will recall the muted atmosphere at grounds like Old Trafford, St James Park, Highbury, Anfield and others because fans of them clubs wouldn''t consider playing Norwich a big deal in the same way as we wouldn''t find playing Oldham, Tranmere or Wycombe a big deal!

But to critiscise the noise levels at Carrow Road is wide of the mark particularly yesterdays game.

Remember the Brentford game last month and the great atmosphere after Holty got sent off?

This leads me back to an incident last week at Brighton where I had the misfortune to sit fairly near a compete gobby  t*at who spent the early part of the game slagging of the fans for the lack of atmosphere and vocal support of the team, then leaving the stand immediately after Brighton scored to come back 20 minutes later after standing at the refreshments stall not watching the game!!

Our club deserves alot of credit for being able to attract 25,000 (I''m also sure we''d of had a couple of 30,000 ATT''s if the ground was big enough) in the 3rd division, something which clubs supposedly much bigger than ourselves wouldn''t be able to do!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]This leads me back to an incident last week at Brighton where I had the misfortune to sit fairly near a compete gobby  t*at who spent the early part of the game slagging of the fans for the lack of atmosphere and vocal support of the team, then leaving the stand immediately after Brighton scored to come back 20 minutes later after standing at the refreshments stall not watching the game![/quote]

You were near him? I was right next to him! Hardly the way to encourage the fans to create an atmosphere is it? He was an idiot.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Just one thing I would like to say.

i know we all have a bit of banter with fans and that, where I was sitting there was a w/nker sign every 5 seconds. Now would all these fans giving it the old do da signal to away fans do so to their face? And what would happen if they turned round and stuck one on you? They would be branded a hooligan and banned for at least 3 years, while all you get is a black eye and some compensation.

Does anyone see what im getting at? People are quick to condemn football hooligans yet the majority of fans at Carrow road and around the country incite opposition fans every single game.

say you were not at football and someone called you a w/nker to your face in the street, what would your reaction be?

Just a thought, for those who condemn football hooliganism.

[/quote]That''s a poor argument Arthur - it''s part of the typical banter at football matches. It''s accepted by all fans across the country. Inciting fans in such a mild way is normal "fun" - the hooliganism starts when the line is crossed and violence starts. You know, I''m fairly sure I sing some unsavory songs at Carrow Road, but I know not to use those to sing my kids to sleep. Does anyone see what I''m getting at?

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]To be perfectly honest Norwich fans are the softest bunch I''ve ever experienced. I''ve been to quite a few away games this season and, well if you sit in someone elses seat you''ve crossed a line let alone try and have a bit of banter! The fans have been great (in numbers) home and away this season but as for atmosphere, original chants and typical laddish football fan behaviour they are a tad tame to say the least. Whatever happened to going to the football to let off a bit of steam after the working week?![/quote]

That''s what you get when you purposefully "dumb" a club down as Delia Smith has done.......

Gone are the grassroot fans to be replaced by luvvies who "don''t want to show themselves up by appearing raucous in public".......

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]To be perfectly honest Norwich fans are the softest bunch I''ve ever experienced. I''ve been to quite a few away games this season and, well if you sit in someone elses seat you''ve crossed a line let alone try and have a bit of banter! The fans have been great (in numbers) home and away this season but as for atmosphere, original chants and typical laddish football fan behaviour they are a tad tame to say the least. Whatever happened to going to the football to let off a bit of steam after the working week?![/quote]

That''s what you get when you purposefully "dumb" a club down as Delia Smith has done.......

Gone are the grassroot fans to be replaced by luvvies who "don''t want to show themselves up by appearing raucous in public".......

[/quote]

Nearly 2000 posts, all of them the same. [|-)]

I first saw City play in 1985-6. In the programme there was a letter from a fan from overseas, saying he couldn''t believe how quiet the ground was. We were top of the old Div 2 at the time.

People have been complaining about this for at least 25 years.

All-seater stadiums and increased prices have changed the demographic and made all football grounds quieter than they used to be. Delia''s got nothing to do with it (I know you know this Cluck, but occasionally I have to rise to the bait).

This season we have had too many routine wins for the fans to feel we need to lift the team.

I thought we were pretty quiet on Saturday. The team wasn''t giving us many reasons to be loud, and it is a circular relationship, but I thought we could have done more.

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]Gone are the grassroot fans........

[/quote]If they really were "grassroot fans" surely they wouldn''t be "gone"! [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]Gone are the grassroot fans........

[/quote]If they really were "grassroot fans" surely they wouldn''t be "gone"! [:^)]

[/quote]

For one they can no longer turn up to a game and stand/sit with their friends after a pre-match pint. Secondly many cannot afford to be part of the season ticket scam aimed at the deep pockets of luvvies rather than the ordinary working class supporter......

A "grassroot fan" cannot be judged by the size of his wallet.

But isn''t this situation the result of all seater stadia legislation rather than a policy of NCFC, Cluck?

Norfolk people are generally quite reserved, as a true blood, like me (although I think it''s irrelevant) you should know this.

Having said all this; apart from standing in the old Barclay, the atmosphere has never been consistently loud at FCR but it shouldn''t be mistaken for a lack of passion.

The bigger harm is corrosive cynicism, however much noise it makes.