Sign in to follow this  
tom1902

Russell Martin

What exactly is wrong with Russell Martin?

He seems to get a lot of criticism, but having watched him home and away since he joined us, i cant see much wrong with him.

Surely he is better than Jon Otsemobor

He''s not a bad player to be fair, but this is clearly his level and assuming we go up, I think he''d struggle somewhat.Better than Semi? In some ways such as attitude and effort - yes, but he doesn''t have the attacking potential Semi had (but rarely used).He''s a solid enough player who''s done a decent job for us compared to Semi who regularly underperformed despite his ability, if we could have had a regularly performing Semi, I''d have taken him every day over Martin.

[quote user="tom1902"]What exactly is wrong with Russell Martin? He seems to get a lot of criticism, but having watched him home and away since he joined us, i cant see much wrong with him. Surely he is better than Jon Otsemobor[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more, but it''s the norm for new players on this forumr. McNamee was described as a waste of money after an 8 minute cameo, Martin is constantly criticised and Rose is dismissed for not being Adam Drury, despite the double handicap of having a right footed central defender with the sprinting ability of a slug playing on the left of central defence beside him  and a midfielder who wanders all over the pitch finding new ways to give possession away in front of him.

[quote user="tom1902"]What exactly is wrong with Russell Martin? He seems to get a lot of criticism, but having watched him home and away since he joined us, i cant see much wrong with him. Surely he is better than Jon Otsemobor[/quote]Its this message board Tom, and Semmy and Curo aren''t here no more.

He is solid full back who does a good job at this level. Havent seen him against higher opposition. Hopefully we''ll find out next year!

I am one of these people who criticise him.

To me he is an okay player, but nothing more.  Like Otsemobor whenever the opposition right winger has the ball he is very slow to react to it and close him down and allows them to put the cross in far to easily.  Also I think he is weak in the air and when he does win the ball in the air it is not a very convincing header.  When he has the ball at his feet his distribution is not that good and maybe instead of playing it down the line to Smith or Martin/Holt he plays a sloppy ball inside putting the likes of Darel Russel and Hoolahan under pressure.

It may sound like I think he is a terrible player but I don''t, he is okay at what he does but a very average League 1 player in my opinion.  If I had to choose between him an Otsemobor I honestly wouldn''t know who to choose.

I think Russell Martin is alright but at the same time I don''t think he''s a significant improvement on Otsemobor.

But then fullbacks, despite being an important part of the team, are rarely eye-catching players who are going to make a huge impact, especially at this kind of level.

I think, given some of the players we''ve had in the fullback slots over recent reasons, you begin to appreciate just how good a fully fit Adam Drury is.

We have not had a decent right back since Edworthy. Martin IMO is the best that we have had sice and do not forget he is still only 23 and still learning the game. Much much happier with him than Otsemabor

I think he could be good, our full backs do tend to get exposed with the narrow formation we play so this will highlight any weaknesses. I think Spillane will run him close in the long term, but I think he has potential now....and he is much better than Semmy.