Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Whats Happened To Korey Smith???

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

When Korey Smith burst into the 1st team, he was energetic, full of excitment and flair.

Now when he recieves the ball instead of going forward, he holds the ball up, slows down play, passes the ball sideways or more often than not backwards.

Tired? Out of form? Been found out?

What do you think....discuss.......

[/quote]Christ almighty Arthur - he''s 18 and this is his first professional season! I certainly didn''t expect him to be able to keep up his initial form all season.[/quote]

Good point IS. People seem to forget that he''s  only 18!

[/quote]I''m a big fan of Korey - him and Russell help us dominate most midfields, but I do think he''s has lost a bit of his spark and it''s only fair to give Hughes an opportunity. I think a few games rest would probably do Korey the world of good, leaving him fresh for our tough run in next month!I think Smith probably deserves a place over Lappin, but Lappin is a natural left footer so it makes sense for him to stay on the left side of the diamond. Will be interesting to see if Lambert rings the changes for Tuesday.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

When Korey Smith burst into the 1st team, he was energetic, full of excitment and flair.

Now when he recieves the ball instead of going forward, he holds the ball up, slows down play, passes the ball sideways or more often than not backwards.

[/quote]

Not so much the flair I thought but he just gave us some bite and some energy in the middle of the park. The lad is only 19 so he will go up and down in form because of the huge physical demands of playing week in week out. Its time to use the squad and I think Hughes could show us he is quality player in the coming weeks. How good is Smith? Time will tell.

[/quote]He''s improving immensly, slowly becoming one of my favourite players.What he''s done is learned how to play the simple game, rather than just run your head off with excitement because you''re playing infront of a big crowd.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Best player on the pitch??? Dont see where you are coming from with that one. Hes been looking like hes lacking that flair for a while now.[/quote]I think he was, helped out muchly at the back, stamina of a horse!

I think that Corey and Russell work well when the Diamond functions, and that leads me to thinking how much we miss Drury on the left, as also Lappin was playing really well in front of Drury, but struggles in the present set up. If we go 4-4-2 then I''d definitely prefer to see Hughes alongside Russell in the centre of the midfield 4, which would still give Hoolaham some freedom to roam, and Macca giving us width switching between rt and left sides. That leaves a straight choice between Lappin and Rose at LB - at least until Mr Reliable gets back. As far as yesterday is concerned, nothing worked well, but if I had to find a MOTM  then possibly R Martin, who did a fair shift on the Rt side, which was far less exposed than the Left. Corey - great season so far, but I agree he needs a break to recharge batteries, then be ready for the crucial end of season games, back to his best.

I agree with Arthur that Smith has lost a bit of form. I  also agree with the poster who  spoke about his age. Smith is 18 and a fantastic prospect, he is not that strongly built however and most young players are going to get a bit burned out, he just needs a rest and to be well nurchered by the club. I have a lad of similar age and have been involved with the academy at Colney in the past, some 18yr olds are built like Rooney was, he was like a  man at 16, but others are physically just not capable of a full season, it`s a  huge step up for lads who had previously played youth football, the same applies to Tom Adeyemi who is also a great prospect. He has not had the best of first senior seasons but he is  even younger than Smith I believe and has the pressure of sudying at a high level as well. Tom as a young player who was head and shoulders above his colleagues and I`m sure will go on to make it, sometimes I do think that we, understandably, forget how young some of these guys are. Arther is  right, Smith just needs a rest and to be looked after.

Was the best of the midfield yesterday. A majority of the Southampton attacks yesterday were downthe other flank. He played with an energy in the first half in particular that put the rest of the lads to shame. well derserved Mom in my opinion for a lad of 18. Support him for goodness sake!

Ok Lineo, moderater on this site are you?

Yes I know hes only 18/19 but thats my point, Im worried that hes burning himself out. Remember this is only his 1st full season, and I would be suprised if he carried his form all the way through the season.

Think he just needs a rest.

No, I''m not a moderator.. I would have already done so if I was! :PI just think this thread is stupid as the young lad has been one of our most consistent top notch performers of late.

Ok Lineo, moderater on this site are you?

Yes I know hes only 18/19 but thats my point, Im worried that hes burning himself out. Remember this is only his 1st full season, and I would be suprised if he carried his form all the way through the season.

Think he just needs a rest.

[/quote]

I agree, he needs to be properly looked after by the club, he needs a rest. will come back stronger.

Lineo im not trying to argue with you lol, im just saying that when he was bang on form he was bursting through midfield, now hes stopping and passing backwards, hes looking tired, and for his age we dont need him burning out too young as has happened with many promising city youngsters over the years.

Give him a rest for a game or 2.

[quote user="Lineo"]No, I''m not a moderator.. I would have already done so if I was! :P

I just think this thread is stupid as the young lad has been one of our most consistent top notch performers of late.
[/quote]

I doubt there''s  anybody here who doesnt think Smith is a fine prospect. So what is you problem with freedom of speech when people suggest it might be a good time to give the young lad a rest for a few weeks......  It says alot about him that he has been playing so many games this season, week in week out.  While you get the odd physical exception, its usual for players to be around 21-22 years old before they can take the physical strain of regular football in their stride. 

[/quote]

You must be kidding ??  By far the best from a bad bunch on sat, Mom in all papers.

i think he has grown sustantially since his arrival in the first team, so much stronger than he was. but you would need a little football knowledge to notice this, that may explain your post !

I wouldn''t say that he is partcularly bad but he is young and not fully ready for a full season he just needs a rest. In my opinion he can only get better