Sign in to follow this  
Canary

I don't want to be Top of the League

For me, I find it tough getting any confidence before matches anymore, this is because ever since we went top of the league, the teams we play are prepared and know how to stop our playing style from truely working to its full potential.

For example, an increasing number of team now understand that if they man mark Hoolahan, and close down on Russel, they can stop the service to our front men, causing us the revert to the long ball. Which hardley ever works.

I think the diamond formation has run its course for us, and we need something new, preferably removing lappin from the team, as he is on bad form in the present time.

Although i don''t agree that the diamond formation has run it''s course, i do agree we need another outlet in the system to work to and provide the strikers with the oppertunities they require.Options i guess would be Matthew Gill, Stephen Hughes, or if we are to indeed change the system, Anthony McNamee.

Whether we are top or not teams would have found out how to play us by now.  As we are one of the best teams in this league (if not the best) teams are going to be a bit wary of us when we play them, they will study video''s hard and will have found out, if they have any knowledge of the game, that if yoy stop Hoolahan and Russel from playing then you stop our ''engine''.  However I don''t think it is time for a change. 

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]You don''t want to be top of the league so we can win games again with the aim of going top of the league.[/quote]I''m guessing this has been the general mentality of Norwich City ever since Delia declared us as a "little club".

I would quote you John, but the quote function doesnt work for me at the moment, so in reply i would say:

For me, Gill is another Russel, solid, but uncreative.

Hughes never impresses me, he doesnt get involved enough.

Macnamee is a player i''ve been looking forward to seeing all season, and in the 40 minutes i''ve seen him play, he has done two things, both being killer crosses, but the point is, he either doesn''t want the ball, or is not in the right positions to recieve the ball...

Its a tough one, but i think that the players we play currently could work more effectively in a different formation, i understand you may not agree though Big Bad John...

[quote user="Aza Hoolahan the Magician"]I would quote you John, but the quote function doesnt work for me at the moment, so in reply i would say:

For me, Gill is another Russel, solid, but uncreative.

Hughes never impresses me, he doesnt get involved enough.

Macnamee is a player i''ve been looking forward to seeing all season, and in the 40 minutes i''ve seen him play, he has done two things, both being killer crosses, but the point is, he either doesn''t want the ball, or is not in the right positions to recieve the ball...

Its a tough one, but i think that the players we play currently could work more effectively in a different formation, i understand you may not agree though Big Bad John...[/quote]I think you''d have a little trouble in convincing anyone, let alone me, in that Aza, in all respect (atleast in the final part).The system, with Hoolahan in the free role, and Russell at the base of the midfield has worked, up until now atleast, effectively enough to bring us from 23rd''ish'' to 1st in the table.Their success is not to say that an alternative formation wouldn''t neccessarily work though, of course. However, alternating the system is a dangerous job, as your essentially alternating what was previously, and rightfully considered, the most important foundations of the team, that made them title challengers in the first place. They could even very well be almost the sole reason why we are where we are in table.It''s OK constructing your theories in how a different formation would work, but obviously in practice it''s a completely different matter. Changing it could see us turn into a very different entity on the field, and not neccessarily in a good sense.

[quote]It''s OK constructing your theories in how a different formation would work, but obviously in practice it''s a completely different matter. Changing it could see us turn into a very different entity on the field, and not neccessarily in a good sense.[/quote]

But surely, in a home match against lowly opposition, is the time to bench/rest certain players. Experimentation with alternative formations and players will not be an option come March 13th.I''m adamant that Lambert will stay with the diamond - I''m equally certain we''ll garner maximum points tomorrow. But it is my opinion that the reluctance to change could risk us slipping into the play-offs.Ultimately, I see sticking with the diamond slightly more perilous than changing formation & personnel.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote]It''s OK constructing your theories in how a different formation would work, but obviously in practice it''s a completely different matter. Changing it could see us turn into a very different entity on the field, and not neccessarily in a good sense.[/quote]

But surely, in a home match against lowly opposition, is the time to bench/rest certain players. Experimentation with alternative formations and players will not be an option come March 13th.I''m adamant that Lambert will stay with the diamond - I''m equally certain we''ll garner maximum points tomorrow. But it is my opinion that the reluctance to change could risk us slipping into the play-offs.Ultimately, I see sticking with the diamond slightly more perilous than changing formation & personnel.[/quote]I''ll agree with that Shyster.

I don''t want us to get promoted.....the First Division is brill!

We need to fail in the play-off final, and then go through it all again....

Hasn''t done Leeds any damage....

"What do we want! NO PROMOTION! When do we want it? After the play-off final!"