Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Pleased to see lambo thinking of changing it

I think we have been dreadful for the last month and there are too many below par players in the team at the moment. Gutted Whitbread is injured as i''m sure he would be established in the side by now if fit but surely Askou in for Nelson has to be on the cards.

I also think that both our full backs are defensively very poor. Martin is better than Rose (which isn''t difficult) but I would have Spillane and Drury back in there any day (incidentally anyone know how much longer Drury is out for?) I might even be tempted to play the morbidly slow Lappin at left back ahead of Rose.

Also think both Smith and Lappin have been pretty ordinary for a couple of months now. Smith is young and will come again but needs a rest. Tonight (in the hope Russell''s card gets overturned) I would go for:

Forster

Spillane, Askou, Doherty, Lappin

Macnamee, Russell, Hughes, Hoolahan

Martin, Holt

On reflection maybe a bit too attack minded but then we are at hime and we need to win!

What''s the deal with the hating of Rose? I''ve only seen him once (against Soton) but he was not the worst player on the pitch, not by a long shot. In fact, I thought he looked ok. What''s he doing / not doing to make people dislike him?And has the thought occurred that, with an off-form Lappin in front of him, he''s bound to look a little over-worked?

I don''t understand how a dynamic team (basically the same personnel) with plenty of good, quick movement can suddenly go off the boil so dramatically. I fear another timid, dreary performance tonight to be honest. I am filled with dread that we will be sucked back into the play-off melting pot if we''re not careful. I thought Team Lambo had some kind of magic formula but now I''m not so sure!

Just look at Leeds pablo. Can happen to any team. I think there will be some careful changes tonight and that we''ll put things right.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]I don''t understand how a dynamic team (basically the same personnel) with plenty of good, quick movement can suddenly go off the boil so dramatically. I fear another timid, dreary performance tonight to be honest. I am filled with dread that we will be sucked back into the play-off melting pot if we''re not careful. I thought Team Lambo had some kind of magic formula but now I''m not so sure![/quote]

Grow. Up.

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]I don''t understand how a dynamic team (basically the same personnel) with plenty of good, quick movement can suddenly go off the boil so dramatically. I fear another timid, dreary performance tonight to be honest. I am filled with dread that we will be sucked back into the play-off melting pot if we''re not careful. I thought Team Lambo had some kind of magic formula but now I''m not so sure![/quote]

Grow. Up.

[/quote]

SOD.  OFF!

Wonder how you all would be if we were facing a real crisis?Christ on a bike, when did using an internet forum mean you had to disengage your brain? Oh sorry, of course… when you are on the Pinkun!!Get a grip. We are so, so, so far ahead of where we really should be!For those of you that thought Division Three would be a breeze, you must have come to your senses by now surely? We started the season with a mediocre team. We still have a mediocre team, we just have a very good manager.We will trip and stumble, but do not confuse two defeats in three games as a major concern. We will somehow manage to get promoted but it won''t be nailed on. Nothing in football ever is. Never has been and never will be.I would hate to have you lot in my trench when the sh*t hit the fan… panic merchants one and all.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Forster

Martin, Holt

On reflection maybe a bit too attack minded but then we are at hime and we need to win!

[/quote]Bit too attack minded in that only 1 of the 4 defenders would be confident?  That''s a crazy back 4 if ever I saw one. I''m all for making changes but 3 out of the 4? nooooo recipe for disaster.. By all means bring in Askou as he''s tried and tested.. but Lappin as left back? No thanks. And Martin is doing a fine job on the right.As for this crisis talk we lost a game on a day that we were below par to the team with probably the most confidence in the league and a great set of players. Southend are nothing like that.

Chill your beans Winston.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"][quote user="Puzzy magnet "]

Grow. Up.

[/quote]

SOD.  OFF!

[/quote]

go on the leeds message boards theirs a few that want rid of grayson, all teams are gonna hit a bad patch get used to it were not barca

[quote user="AndyWhyteUK"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

Forster

Martin, Holt

[/quote]

Bit too attack minded in that only 1 of the 4 defenders would be confident?  That''s a crazy back 4 if ever I saw one. I''m all for making changes but 3 out of the 4? nooooo recipe for disaster.. By all means bring in Askou as he''s tried and tested.. but Lappin as left back? No thanks. And Martin is doing a fine job on the right.

As for this crisis talk we lost a game on a day that we were below par to the team with probably the most confidence in the league and a great set of players. Southend are nothing like that.

Chill your beans Winston.
[/quote]

Not crisis talk, we are still in a great position and there will be more twists and turns to come i''m sure but we need to shake it up and the fact is that the Saints result wasn''t a blip, nor was Millwall because for the way we have been playing for the best part of 2 months now it was obvious that as soon as we played a decent team who could score goals we would lose. We have been letting teams have too many chances for a so called top of the table team and the midfield has not been working. I agree we may  beat southend at home even if we remain slightly below par but I think its crucial that we get back to playing well before we face Huddersfield, Swindon, Charlton and Leeds otherwise i fear we will get very little from those game and could find ourselves dragged into the playoffs lottery.

Contunuity in the defence should not mean playing players who are not up to it just for the sake of it. personally I think Rose and Nelson are clearly sub standard for a club of our stature and (although he is better than the aforementioned) I remain  unconvinced by Martin who seems to have one good game then one bad game.

I wasn''t suggesting you were saying it was crisis time. I was referring to the other posts.I still stand by making 3 changes out of 4 in defence is a bad idea. It would throw everyones positioning out of tune and we''d have a right mess!

It is amazing how easily sub standard players can hide in a team when it is playing well. Phil Neville....

I think we were always going to hit a point in the season after that great run of form where results changed, let''s face it we were never going to go 35 games performing amazingly. This is where the manager and his team show their true mettle, using the squad players, motivating everyone and adapting tactics etc to reinvigorate things.

I personally do not think Nelson is good enough for us, but think the real problem is that he is too similar to the Doc and having them both in the team begs problems.

However the fact that Leeds and Charlton are both struggling at the same time as us is massively fortunate and hopefully an indication that the gods are behind us!

I agree with AndyWhyteUK. I''d plop Askou i for Nelson and leave the left and right backs as are. Mooks spot on about Rose, he was stretched on saturday, but contributes well on the whole. Rest Lappin (who I have some respect for but he''s got his knickers in a twist at the mo) and give McNamee a trundle.

I wish people would stop keep saying about playing Hoolahan on the left wing. He is not a winger and really does not play well in that position. Take last season for example, or even the last time he played in that position - Brentford away!! He''s taken out of the game, which is not something you''d want to happen with your best player.

We need to show that we can play with wide men as think the diamond will come a cropper against championship sides if we get promoted.

Maybe give Martin or Johnson a go on the left wing with Wes just off Holt. Not really a fan of strikers being played on the wing but think in a home game where hopefully they will be on the front foot 80% of the time it can work. That said would require Rose to be at his defensive best....