Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Southampton

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"]

I think that there are lots of factors behind our loss of form, and that it''s too simplistic to blame it on a system. . For what it''s worth, my view is that we have lost a bit of balance since drury was injured. Rose is a good League One full back, but Drury has been here forever and has played most of his career at a higher level. What we have lost with him out is the level of calmness that he brings to the defence as well as the quality of his overlaps and crosses. This in turn has exposed Nelson to a massive extent. In fairness the guy isn''t left footed, and with this allied to a turning circle like the QE2, he''s in a vulnerable position, made worse by Rose''s (understandable) lack of positional empathy.

A lot of people seem to have it in for Russell Martin, but I think he''s done fairly well and he and Doc (who has been one of our most consistent players) seem to have developed  a decent understanding. Energy levels in midfield have been generally down. Korey has had a brillliant first season but is not the dynamo he was before Christmas. That''s not a criticism because the lad''s only 18 and has shouldered a huge amount of responsibility. Rusty has been pretty steady, but I''m afraid that I don''t get why some supporters seem to see Lappin as above criticism. I see that the current excuse is that Rose is leaving him exposed, but I always thought that the midfielder primarily covered the full back, not vice versa,. I actually feel that Lappin might be making Rose''s job harder by drifting infield and (particularly lately) losing the ball. Rose will also be acutely aware that Nelson simply doesn''t have the pace to get him out of a hole. Lappin has, for me, largely flattered to deceive this season, although he has had some good spells.He is currently not in one of them in my opinion.

The biggest factor for me is the fact that Wes has not controlled a game for a very long time. His one footedness makes it a little easier for sides to stifle him, but I think the overriding factor has been the fact that his strike partners have created much less space for him of late. Chrissie Martin did a great job with Holt out, but Cody lacks the experience to really drag defenders around, so it was inevitable that Wes would get more attention. What disappoints me is that in his two games back Holty has been pretty anonymous (despite the goal at Brighton) and was in Jaidi''s pocket all day yesterday. One can only hope it''s ring rust, because if it''s something more serious then we really have a big problem.

That said, we have 42 points to play for and 24 should ensure an automatic spot. We are feeling the pressure, but so are all those in the pack and we''ll see many more surprise results before the trophies are handed out. We as fans just need to keep the faith and keep believing. A cursory glance at Waccoe will illustrate what can happen when fans lose belief and start to seek scapegoats. Yesterday was terribly disappointing, but no-one died, we''re still top and have a home game against a poor Southend side to look forward to.OTBC

[/quote]A very good point about Lappin constantly being pulled out of position Beau and one which I would like to see the King of SPAM lovers answer [Y][/quote]

Good point Beau. I also think the team are missing Drury''s left wing play.

[/quote]The silence from the King of SPAM lovers is deafening Tangy! [;)]Any plans to go to Oldham on Saturday mate???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Tangy"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"]but I''m afraid that I don''t get why some supporters seem to see Lappin as above criticism. I see that the current excuse is that Rose is leaving him exposed, but I always thought that the midfielder primarily covered the full back, not vice versa,. I actually feel that Lappin might be making Rose''s job harder by drifting infield and (particularly lately) losing the ball. Rose will also be acutely aware that Nelson simply doesn''t have the pace to get him out of a hole. Lappin has, for me, largely flattered to deceive this season, although he has had some good spells.He is currently not in one of them in my opinion.

[/quote]A very good point about Lappin constantly being pulled out of position Beau and one which I would like to see the King of SPAM lovers answer [Y][/quote]

[/quote]The silence from the King of SPAM lovers is deafening Tangy! [;)]Any plans to go to Oldham on Saturday mate???[/quote]I''ll paste my thoughts on Lappin again here [:D]I''m sorry but blaming Rose for Lappins poor performances is ridiculous.It''s

up to Lappin to perform. Which as i''ve stated previously, i only think

he''s capable of against the lesser teams. People say his poor

performances coincide with Drurys absense, but it also coincides with

playing against better teams, like Millwall and Southampton.Lappin

can do a very average job and that is it. Of course he has plenty

assists, he is the typical set-piece taker for us, which perhaps is his

only asset in my opinion, and he''s not even fantastic at that.My

opinion is he''s only in the team because he''s left footed and thus

offers a level of balance. IF the formation changed to 4-4-2 i think

Lappin would be left out. MY personal view is Hughes is a much

better football, more technically gifted and probably deserves a chance

to impress sometime soon.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Tangy"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"]but I''m afraid that I don''t get why some supporters seem to see Lappin as above criticism. I see that the current excuse is that Rose is leaving him exposed, but I always thought that the midfielder primarily covered the full back, not vice versa,. I actually feel that Lappin might be making Rose''s job harder by drifting infield and (particularly lately) losing the ball. Rose will also be acutely aware that Nelson simply doesn''t have the pace to get him out of a hole. Lappin has, for me, largely flattered to deceive this season, although he has had some good spells.He is currently not in one of them in my opinion.

[/quote]

A very good point about Lappin constantly being pulled out of position Beau and one which I would like to see the King of SPAM lovers answer [Y]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The silence from the King of SPAM lovers is deafening Tangy! [;)]

Any plans to go to Oldham on Saturday mate???
[/quote]

I''ll paste my thoughts on Lappin again here [:D]

I''m sorry but blaming Rose for Lappins poor performances is ridiculous.

It''s up to Lappin to perform. Which as i''ve stated previously, i only think he''s capable of against the lesser teams. People say his poor performances coincide with Drurys absense, but it also coincides with playing against better teams, like Millwall and Southampton.

Lappin can do a very average job and that is it. Of course he has plenty assists, he is the typical set-piece taker for us, which perhaps is his only asset in my opinion, and he''s not even fantastic at that.

My opinion is he''s only in the team because he''s left footed and thus offers a level of balance. IF the formation changed to 4-4-2 i think Lappin would be left out.

MY personal view is Hughes is a much better football, more technically gifted and probably deserves a chance to impress sometime soon.

[/quote]

Spot on hoggy and apologies for overlooking this when first posted![:D]