Sign in to follow this  
rjwc22

Championship players

Who do you think out of our current squad would get into a top 6 Champ side?

The board have said the plan is to become this asap but looking at the playing staff I cannot see how this will happen without wholesale changes.

Wes, Holt, C Martin, maybe Darel? To be honest I cannot see many apart from Forster that would generate interest if they were available.

If we go up on the back of a league win, no doubt we will carry momentum with us but have to say the current threads debating which CBs to pick from the squad highlight the lack of quality Lambert is having to chose from.

well look at Leicester Swansea Nott forest Doncaster they are teams that have done good coming up from league 1 do any of there players compare to ours and not forgetting Blackpool , the main point is that we would need to aquire young hungrey players aswell as experiences ones to drive us forward , im sure lambert got his shortlist of players for if we go up my friend

Russell yes. Possibly C Martin. Wes - I''m really not too sure. He is class at this level but not sure against better defences. If we get offered a couple of mil in the summer we should take it. 

I am sure Lambert will have a list of positions that need strengthening and think CB will be high up.

Just hope the board have the money to back him in the summer.

Most would be goood enough. It''s about the team playing as a unit as much as anything. All you need is a strong unit and a goalscorer. Look at Ipswich... Millions spent on their team but they don''t play as a unit... Look at QPR, Derby, Coventry... Spent money but noot quite playing as a unit... maybe Cov are but the others... defo not. Blackpool (7th), not spent much and are doing well... Donny (13th, 8pts off play offs) are the same, a good unit and a striker in sharp who will keep them in mid table no probs.... NC have a better team on paper than both Donny and Blackpool and play for eachother. 

Time will tell and agree a team playing as a unit is always better than 11 individuals however talented.

With nearly a third of the season still to go, have no doubt I am being premature anyway but see real potential in the current set up which is such a great feeling!

[quote user="The Chirp"]Most would be goood enough.

It''s about the team playing as a unit as much as anything. All you need is a strong unit and a goalscorer.

Look at Ipswich... Millions spent on their team but they don''t play as a unit... Look at QPR, Derby, Coventry... Spent money but noot quite playing as a unit... maybe Cov are but the others... defo not.

Blackpool (7th), not spent much and are doing well... Donny (13th, 8pts off play offs) are the same, a good unit and a striker in sharp who will keep them in mid table no probs.... NC have a better team on paper than both Donny and Blackpool and play for eachother. 
[/quote]

true money doesn''t always bring success , just need to bring in the right players to fit into the giant jigsaw, hmm many team have a good side without spending loads of the green notes

Top 6 is a tough one because some seasons you are talking about the likes of Newcastle who still have premiership players on their books.I would say that most of the starting line up if not all are capable of playing to a reasonable level in the championship. The season we got to the play off final I would have probably told you we didn''t have a top 6 squad but they proved otherwise.Its a tough call because some players have part of their game that could lead them to be a top 6 side player such as Holt and Wes but will that translate into them actually being capable of that level of play?Wes makes a difference attacking wise but I sometimes wonder if the foramations that would suit him would be limited to what we play now and having a sort of 4,5,1 or 4,4,1,1 formation where he is a deeper playing striker. If you think our lack of width exposed us against Southampton then remember it could be like that game in game out in the championship.For me we have quite a few players we know can cut it in the top half of the championship when they produce their best consistently.Drury, Doherty, Russell, C. Martin, MacNamee - have all been there and done well. Holt, Askou, Whitbread, Spillane, Hughes and Smith all look to me as if they could perform to at least a mid table standard in the champs. It depends on a lot of varying factors.It will be more interesting to see who we loose in the summer I think. Cureton is as good as gone - especially by the way he has been saying things since going on loan. I should imagine that McVeigh and possibly even Cody''s time is limited now. I mention the latter with a heavy heart but we now have two ''prospects'' of strikers who have recently come from non-league aged around 22 and Daley waiting in the wings. If we keep all three I fully expect to see two go out on loan with OJ staying here as back up.Defence wise Nelson is probably the least able of our centrebacks but having played regularily he looks to be improving to me. We will defenitely need a right winger or someone that can play there unless that is the idea with R. Martin when Spillane is back to full fitness.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''m going to wait untill this question is asked again in a few days.[/quote]I''m going to wait till next season. [:)]

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]Russell yes. Possibly C Martin. Wes - I''m really not too sure. He is class at this level but not sure against better defences. If we get offered a couple of mil in the summer we should take it. [/quote]

hoolahan could easily make it at the champ level, he would have kept us up last season if he was not injured for te last 8-10 games!

crissy martin would as he has proved it already

russell - proved

smith-yeah looks good in league one and is still only 18!!

[quote user="Crox"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]Most would be goood enough.

It''s about the team playing as a unit as much as anything. All you need is a strong unit and a goalscorer.

Look at Ipswich... Millions spent on their team but they don''t play as a unit... Look at QPR, Derby, Coventry... Spent money but noot quite playing as a unit... maybe Cov are but the others... defo not.

Blackpool (7th), not spent much and are doing well... Donny (13th, 8pts off play offs) are the same, a good unit and a striker in sharp who will keep them in mid table no probs.... NC have a better team on paper than both Donny and Blackpool and play for eachother. 
[/quote]

true money doesn''t always bring success , just need to bring in the right players to fit into the giant jigsaw, hmm many team have a good side without spending loads of the green notes

[/quote]

man city have had ££££££££££££££ spend but are still not challenging for a league winning position!

man utd haven''t spend £££££££££ this season but are still there.

a team with ££££££££ has more pressure to do well and are less likely to do well

a  team with ££ has less pressure and normally do well.