Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Worthingtons' greatness!

I have had enough of people slagging Worthington and some of the players off. There is plenty enough to be cheering about and if there is one difference between us and Chrystal Palace that has influence on our positions it is us the fans!

Their fans dont seem to care if they stay up or go down, they are just going to give it all they have as a club and be glad that they got the chance to break even financialy.

Even though we finnished top of the league I fee that we are in the same position. I like everyone else to do with the club would like us to stay up there but it is very very hard. Just look how close the Premiership is this season. Anyone in the bottom half of the table could slip up and find themselves dragged into the fight at the bottom, and that includes some quite respectable teams.

I think Worthington is an incredibly valuable manager. He is like Curbishly in that he is able to get good players in on a limited budget. Lets be honest, it wouldnt be hard to be a great manager if you have hundreds of millions of pounds like Man U or Chelsea.

But Worthington and the team and board won the 1st divsion last year. No mean feat when you consider the sides that had money to spend. We know that WBA were bathing in parachute payments and Wigan financed by a franchise buisinessman.

Worthington was alowed to take calculated risks by the board. That money for Hux, Leon and Sven not to mention Francis, Edworthy.

The way he has turned this club round on a shoe string budget is fantastic, and nothing short of briliance.

The way that the players have reacted to his actions have also been brilliant. How many teams would have lost spirit, focus and confidence? Not city. Those guys all deserve medals.

It had been eight long years before I saw such determination along with a real desire to win. That was the last time we were in the Premiership.

I am not ashamed of where the club is at. We are building for a brighter future. We are not far off compeating for mid-table premiership places, if we have to go down and come back up to do it at the second attempt its something well worth waiting for in my opinion.

I still think we have a chance, but it is plain to see that there are three or four teams we are going to have to be better than, Chrystal Palace, WBA, Southampton and Blackburn. If any others come within range then great otherwise it is important that we sink the others whilst we can. So far we have beaten Southampton which may put us in good stead and drawn with the others. We need to win the return fixtures as a start.

40 points should be our season target because I dont think that 30 will be nessisarily enough. A point a game would be good enough but we are already behind on that target.

But I for one am not going to let anything get to my passion for city. Those lads that go out and play are putting in 100%, what more can we ask of them? If its not enough, at least they gave it their best shot. I am not going to moan untill they give up, and their heads drop. Because while they still believe we have a chance, I still believe, if they are still pushing for it I will support them all the way!

And please can people stop speculating about players unless they have been properly linked (is via a newspaper). Its getting almost as annoying as the stupid text adverts on teletext!

Best post on here for ages - well done.

I thought we all sang "Premier League we''re having a laugh" between May and Sept.  Not much laughing going on, either on this board or at the games. 

I thought we were going to enjoy it, be everyone''s second favourite team and give it our best shot to finish fourth from bottom.

I think we are dangerously close to turning into a club full of moaners when only a few months ago we were all lining the streets waving at a bus full of blokes we don''t even know!

I left the game feeling chuffing annoyed on saturday, but this league is hard.  I would rather be in this league and see my team on Match of the Day than have that eejit (allegedly) Donovan Bloke patronise us on Anglia News every week!

My view is that Norwich City Football Club are like one of those precocious children - 5 A levels at 12 and then sent to university to find that the just dont fit in yet.  The boaard and management are struggling to adapt on and off the field, but have probably recognised that the squad needed such a huge overhaul they were never going to afford the rebuild needed.

Last season happened before we were ready and this season is  bonus as we should have been here at all yet.  I am just enjoying it, frustrations included, while I can.

Stability is a must and that includes our fledgling management team

OTBC

What?

The team is good enough! Look at it, we are 10 points off 12th! Every team around us lacks in a certain department. Mainly because all of the wealthy clubs plunder them. Just look at Chrystal Palace, how many different clubs has AJ been linked with now? And how long can they really keep hold of him for?

Whats the difference between Fulham this year and Fulham last year? Luis Saha.

Southampton look as if they will loose Beattie and are still managerless. West Brom also lack a cutting edge. Portsmouth look like loosing Yakubu and possibly Lua Lua. Blackburn have Dickov and little else.

It is not likely that any of these clubs will be spending great deals of money in the transfer window because the money isnt there anymore, if it ever was.

We dont need an overhaul. We need a goalscorer that can consistantly put the ball in the back of the net.

One thing I would blame prices on is inflation. If a premiership team look to get a player from lower down the leagues they raise the price.

Had we bought Ashton at the end of last season he would have cost at most £1 million. But you are taking a risk of bringing in a player two leagues away from where you are.

I think that we have one great striker in Hux and another in McKenzie. We just need a partnership up front, then we will see the goals start to come. If we bring in a new striker the problem will still be there if they dont gel with the players around them. In a way Iwan was fantastic at gelling with new players, we just lack that at the moment.

I dont think there are many players that are not capable of premiership football in our squad, after all most of them did get us there. If they are better than Div 1 they are premiership. I think it is just the experience at this level that we lack not anything else, and they are learning.

As I have said before, in my opinion we need to sure up our defence before we go looking to bang in goals. We have given away too many sloppy goals due to a lack of height, pace or communication. I admit the communication is getting better but I feel Shackell should be given a chance to prove his abilities. He is quick, and more than capable.

Also if Mullers aint fit, give Safri another shot. Couldnt do any harm could it?

Sorry Chicken, that is just untrue.Having seen us in 8 games this season, I may have missed something, but we did not play good FOOTBALL in any of these games. Occassionally we upped the tempo, but it mainly involves hard work and getting a corner or two.From what I''ve seen, every prem team can out-pass us, out-score us, out defend us and out-spend us.I am not disappointed with the situation, as i expected this. I am disappointed that we appear not to want to play football with the ball on the floor, we defend too deep, and our quality players are not playing in their rightful positions.Bad management.

You got that right Bananaman. We are not good enough but i really think we could be if the management sorted their stuff out. They lack what it takes at Prem level and that will be what puts us down come may.

Worthy has cost us many points this season thru bad substitutions, team selection and players positions and this needs to be addressed. Everyone else sees this so why cant they.

The team played football last season and received praise for their passing game.. wasn''t the Crewe manager who ..it was like watching Real Madrid play...

I said several times last season that our football would grace the Prem....

Now what the hell has gone wrong it can only be down to the coaching stafff for the change of tatics and playing people out of position...

No Kenny F you''re wrong! The reason we don''t look anywhere near so good this season is because the teams we''re playing against are miles better than the teams we were playing last season. It really is that simple!

Premier League players are stronger, faster, and fitter than fizzy pop players. They also have better first touch, are better passers, better finishers, are far cleverer in their movement off the ball and read the game better.

I would have thought that this was just a case of stating the bl***in obvious, but it seems that you and the rest of the tiresome blame Worthy brigade just can''t see it.

I have to kind of agree with Mr Rosario here - everything he says is correct, perhaps with the exception of the bit about players being fitter. I''d be surprised if there''s a fitter premiership squad than ours. Worthy is fanatical about it. And why else do we ALWAYS do better in the second half? Because we''re stonger at the end of the game and so can hide our lack of skill better by getting to the ball sooner and harrying better etc.

You can see that in Huckerby''s performances this season - pace and trickery aren''t enough against good premier defenders wheras last season he could beat all comers he''s finding it harder this season (irrespective of double marking which happened last year as well). It''s the oppositions ability to read the game, predict our players intentions etc that is making us look less dynamic - and that''s the quality we have to find/improve if we want to stay there. Look at how often we are caught offside - a perfect example!

I have seen the necessary quality in Hucks, Francis, Charlton and at times Helveg this season (but he''s not on the same wavelength as some of his colleagues yet), but sadly not really from others. Looks like we''ll have to rely on effort and lucky breaks to keep us up, and given the latter haven''t really fallen for us yet, and there are some other poorish teams in the league besides us all remains not lost.

Mr Rosario, Once again I find myself disagreeing with you. You seem to have a pair of yellow and green tinted glasses permanantly obstructing your vision. It is clear that Worthy and his band of merry men on the touchline cannot do a job at this level.
Answer me these questions Mr Rosario:

1)Why does he persist in playing players out of position?

2)Why do the substitutions he makes often leave most of us completley baffled?

3)Why does he often deploy tactics which clearly do not work?

4)Why does he keep on playing players clearly out of form (Drury, Holt, Bentley)

5)Why did he spend a great amount of our limited transfer kitty on players he doesnt even play?

As I said, great job in getting us here but to be honest the man has made a complete balls up of our first year back in the Premiership. Now I knew that it never would be easy but also i never could see it being this hard. I''d just like to know Mr Rosario... How many matches have you actually attended this season because from your comments id say not too many.