Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Askou needed in the team tonight.

I went to the Saints league matc at St Marys earlier in the season and i was sat in the away end... The one player all of the fans around me were talking about at half time and full time was ASKOU. Where the hell did they find him? (Rickie) Lambert''s not had a sniff!Bloody hell i wish pards finds a player like him... All heard that day. Askou is a calm influence at the back, a left footed centre back, can pass the ball and has a lot of power. I don''t want to give nelson a slating but i think he is far too similar to the doc and we need something a little different in the middle... Askou is a key player and should be given the nod tonight.

Your right we have missed Askou at the back he has great pace for a big man, also great in the air and positioning is spot on. His style compliments the Doc a lot more than Nelson.

I feel Nelson has done a shift at the back since Askou has been ingured, not been fantastic but has done a job. I have to say Nelson isn''t a footballer he literally cant pass the ball to save his live. Good in the air and clears the lines well. League One defender through and through!!!

On another note tonight i really want a great atmos..... under the flood lights come on lets get it rocking?!

OTBC

[quote user="Bexley"]Not sure if Lambert would risk him yet - I''d imagine he would be very short of match fitness. [/quote]

hmm they have been playing in the reserve so they must be regaining fitness, hmm they need to be in the Huddersfield Swindon and Leeds game, we need a strong defence for those games to secure promotion

I think start with Martin and bring Spillane on for the last 30 or so, or start him but make sure Martin is on the bench if needed.

Askou is a must if fit.

I''ve mentioned this already in a different thread but anyone present at the last reserve game would agree..... Askou is a little way off yet.

For me he''s a definite starter when fit but I saw a totally different Skou last week, honestly surprised me how bad he could look! So don''t be surprised if he''s given more time. In saying that after Nelson''s last performance I''d probably risk an unfit Skou!

In contrast Spillane looked sharp and very willing to get forward, so perhaps i''d bring him in instead of R. Martin to give us some more penetration down the right??

I could go for some of that too, Spillane is a far better all round footballer than Nelson. As stated before Nels is adequate cover and a good old fashioned, ''robust'' league one CB!

I was genuinely impressed with Spills attacking ability last week, so maybe put him out wide when we bring on Askou to give him some more fitness?

[quote user="rjwc22"]What about giving Spillane a game in the middle alongside the Doc?[/quote]

No. Not good enough in that position.

I like Askou but I do think he''s a bit overrated by some people and often wonder what the opinion of him would have been if he''d played in the 1-7 with Colchester.

He''s a competitor but he''s not as good in the air as Doherty and Askou and he''s no better than Nelson with his distribution.

I''m happy for him to be in the team but at the same time I don''t think it''ll make a great difference either way.

[quote user="GJP"]

I like Askou but I do think he''s a bit overrated by some people and often wonder what the opinion of him would have been if he''d played in the 1-7 with Colchester.

He''s a competitor but he''s not as good in the air as Doherty and Askou and he''s no better than Nelson with his distribution.

I''m happy for him to be in the team but at the same time I don''t think it''ll make a great difference either way.

[/quote]

I have nothing against Nelson, just think he and Doc are too similar to be a good combo. Need someone with a bit of pace to cover them. Still think CB is one of our weakest areas and will need improving if we go up.

I think Spillane is better as a wing back he has too much footballing skill to waste as a central defender especially in this league!!!

As we saw with his goal at the start of the season, is willing to travel with the ball cut inside and bury one if need be.

Spillane   Askou   Doc  Drury

Is our strongest back four no question......

[quote user="rjwc22"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] I have nothing against Nelson, just think he and Doc are too similar to be a good combo. Need someone with a bit of pace to cover them. Still think CB is one of our weakest areas and will need improving if we go up.[/quote]

Askou isn''t especially quick, though. I''d take a guess that the Doc has as much pace, if not more.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]

I think Spillane is better as a wing back he has too much footballing skill to waste as a central defender especially in this league!!!

As we saw with his goal at the start of the season, is willing to travel with the ball cut inside and bury one if need be.

Spillane   Askou   Doc  Drury

Is our strongest back four no question......

[/quote]

Spillane really is not that good.

He''s not going to be in the team as a first choice.

The manager obviously rates Russell Martin and has paid money to bring him to the club. He will be regarded as his first choice at right back.

[quote user="rjwc22"]What about giving Spillane a game in the middle alongside the Doc?[/quote]I''d sooner do that than have Nelson in the side at the moment, though by no means do i consider it preferable as i certainly didn''t rate Spillane in the centre as much as i did at right back, and the fact he''s been out and injured for such a long while now does cast a few doubts in my mind.

Fair point, think there is something about the Doc that always makes him look slower than he is.

I think the great thing with Askou is his towering strength in the air and he seems to inspire confidence. That said, he is no Butterworth and don''t think any of the three would get into a champ side which is what we are hoping to be.

[quote user="rjwc22"]Fair point, think there is something about the Doc that always makes him look slower than he is. I think the great thing with Askou is his towering strength in the air and he seems to inspire confidence. That said, he is no Butterworth and don''t think any of the three would get into a champ side which is what we are hoping to be.[/quote]

See...I wouldn''t say Askou has got "towering strength" in the air. The good thing about him is that he gets straight back in if he doesn''t get the ball at the first attempt but Nelson wins more in the air than he does.

Spillane has the biggest potential out of all of our young prospects, he was outstanding for Luton last year and if he hadn''t picked up an injury at the start of Lambert''s reign Martin probably wouldnt even be here.

Martin lacks pace and any real quality, Spillane once fully fit is our first choice right back and can easily step up to championship level, no questions.....

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="rjwc22"]Fair point, think there is something about the Doc that always makes him look slower than he is. I think the great thing with Askou is his towering strength in the air and he seems to inspire confidence. That said, he is no Butterworth and don''t think any of the three would get into a champ side which is what we are hoping to be.[/quote]

See...I wouldn''t say Askou has got "towering strength" in the air. The good thing about him is that he gets straight back in if he doesn''t get the ball at the first attempt but Nelson wins more in the air than he does.

[/quote]

I must admit, think I have been reading the Pinkun too much - not sure where that description came from! He can head the ball a hell of a long way though....

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]

1- Spillane has the biggest potential out of all of our young prospects,

2- he was outstanding for Luton last year

3- and if he hadn''t picked up an injury at the start of Lambert''s reign Martin probably wouldnt even be here.

4- Martin lacks pace and any real quality,

5- Spillane once fully fit is our first choice right back

6- and can easily step up to championship level, no questions.....

[/quote]

1- He does?

2- In League 2

3- Bet he would be.

4- As does Spillane, no pace at all.

5- Don''t think so.

6- Easily step up Championship level? A lot of questions over that.

1. Him and Martin are both products from our academy, both shown enough potential for me to warint a first team place. (This is what League One is about finding out what you really have in terms of talent not going to another club like peterborough and filling a gap for a year. Martin came to us because he wasn''t getting in their championship side. Spillane has more chance of playing up a level than R.Martin!!

2. Its called progression

3.He wouldnt, then again anything is better than semi!

4.Spillane does have pace, just dont notice it from him as he is very tall.....

5.We shall see, personally think Lambert rates him higher than most in our squad, always talked about him in press confrences.

6.We will soon find out

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]

4.Spillane does have pace, just dont notice it from him as he is very tall.....

[/quote]

I think because he''s young (ish) people assume he''s got a bit of pace about him.

He hasn''t. At all.

Look Spillane isn''t as fast as Semi. however he isn''t exactly slow. What he does have in his locker is the ability and willing to push forward down the flank and ask for the ball in attack. ( as seen against Orient and also more recently in the 90 mins he got against Luton) I think R. Martin is a lot better than a lot of you on here think he is. he doesn''t do anything flash so therefore might not get the plaudits he deserves... (not saying he has been outstanding either btw) Back to my original post about Askou, having a lefty in the centre of defence provides the team with greater balance and balance is something you need especially coming into the last stage of the season.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]

3- and if he hadn''t picked up an injury at the start of Lambert''s reign Martin probably wouldnt even be here.

[/quote]

1- He does?

2- In League 2

3- Bet he would be.

5- Don''t think so.

[/quote]1- Amongst those with big potential in Smith, Rudd, Steer, Francombe, Adeyemi and Martin. Debatable as to whether he has the most potential, but his discipline will certainly take him far.2- In a side otherwise desperately lacking in quality. Although in determining his ability his performances at Luton were not conclusive as to how good he may be, neither does it indicate as to how bad he may be either.3- It was the injury to both Spillane and then Francombe that prompted Lambert to make the immediate move to bring in Russell Martin. Martin may have been brought in at a later date if neither were to get injured, but to be honest, i highly doubt it.4- If you reckon Spillane to have no real quality you clearly haven''t seen him play this season. As for his pace, it''s only an issue highlited by the very good few assetts of his predecessor. He may not be the fastest in the side, but by no means is he the slowest.5- Am as of yet to see an assett Martin has that truly strikes me as being superior to Spillanes. + Spillane is both tall, strong, and provides a significant impact in either boxes on the pitch.6- Debatable at the moment, but there is no question that it''s a standard he could well establish himself as within the next 1 or 2 years.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]

[/quote]

1- He does?

2- In League 2

3- Bet he would be.

5- Don''t think so.

[/quote]

2- In a side otherwise desperately lacking in quality. Although in determining his ability his performances at Luton were not conclusive as to how good he may be, neither does it indicate as to how bad he may be either.[/quote]Sorry, i should have said morale and/or hope (though i''d still of considered their quality in the side to be an issue).