Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Captains, captains!

Having been seriously devoid of good captains and leaders out on the pitch pretty much since Malky left, i''ve noticed we now have a lot of captains on the field - Martin, Drury, Nelson, Doc part-time, and of course, the big man himself and best captain we''ve had since Malky. Holt is an immense captain. It is to Lambert''s credit that he spotted this almost immediately.

RMart seems, and Drury was, more the lead by example captains, although Doc doesn''t seem to carry it as well.

Either way, i think it''s a big part of our success so far this season having characters like this on the pitch. We need them and their experience at this stage of the season and i am a little concerned that we are starting to miss Drury more and more. Nothing against Rose but i just look more solid and complete at the back with Drury there.

Any news on his injury anyone?

To be honest, I think Holt is a good captain, but could be better. He argue''s too much and to me, that doesn''t show good responsibility and example to the rest. If a decision goes against you, no matter what you say it aint gonna change the ref''s decision. You just gotta get back and defend what ever the situation may be.

for a captain he does argue too much and as he is so popular with youth players they think it is acceptable to do this and it is not - player like holt cause this trouble on a sunday morning  (not saying it is only holt but he is the captain most youth players will watch)

I think Holt is a brilliant captain and I fact have no problem with the fact that he is constantly in the referees ear.  He is doing nothing illegal and is just trying to give his team an edge-to my mind that is what good captains do.  They push the law as far as it will go to give their team the edge. Many premiership teams (let alone captains) do this all the time. I like the fact that he stands up for his team.  The only time he let himself down was with the tackle against Brentford.  That was a loss of control which is something you don''t want your captain doing

[quote user="Brendo "]To be honest, I think Holt is a good captain, but could be better. He argue''s too much and to me, that doesn''t show good responsibility and example to the rest. If a decision goes against you, no matter what you say it aint gonna change the ref''s decision. You just gotta get back and defend what ever the situation may be.
[/quote]

while you are never going to be able to change the refs decision, it can influence his future decisions.

Also players seeing their captain stand up for them and argue for Norwichs sake imo can be productive for the players morale etc

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

He is doing nothing illegal and is just trying to give his team an edge-to my mind that is what good captains do. 

[/quote]Which is great UNTIL it starts affecting his game. Which it did on Saturday.

That''s what I was about to say. He menaced the ref all game on Saturday and I genuinely felt it distracted him. I prefer when he leads by example, being tenacious and passionate in his footy.

It''s a fine line isn''t it. I think he galvanises the team by showing he''ll fight for the yellow and green cause in any situation. You can''t buy that kind of inspiration. That''s what Lambert sees i think. Keeping the ref on his toes is part of that but he has to judge it carefully and not get up his nose. On the whole he treads the line pretty well imo.