Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

McNally on Radio Norfolk now

Very impressive. Chooses his words carefully. Not at all gung-ho but sounds quietly determined.Doesn''t  seem very happy with the EDP or the American agent; apparently he sent McNally an e-mail out of the blue, he replied saying that Deloittes (sp?) were dealing with it. He told the EDP this, but they ignored it & ran with the lodsainvestors story.He also said the American had put Tranmere on e-bay, apparently as a publicity stunt. Said he wasn''t sure how Tranmere fans would feel about that.Insisted that Lambert has been backed to the hilt. Praised the fans all the time.You can dismiss it all as self-serving hype, but - although I could imagine him being economical with the truth - he obvoiusly wants NCFC to succeed as much as we do. And I think he knows how to do it.

Excellent interview. Especially liked his clear anger at the tabloid bollox of the Evening News on thursday!

Very, very impressive. Came across as utterly determined to achieve success and, what''s more, a clear strategy to achieve it. My feelings about him were ambivalent at the start of the season as I thoroughly welcomed his appointment but felt the sacking of Gunn, while necessary, could have beenbetter handled. Ever since then, I have been impressed by his every move from quickly and decisively appointing a new manager to coming on the radio yesterday to spell out exactly where the club is in terms of seeking investment and killing ill-informed rumours or distorted reporting.I had not realised (any more than, I suspect, did DS and Mw-J) what a dead hand we had on the tiller in Doncaster- always chose the cautious option, no charisma and no real understanding of how to run either a succesful football club or a commercial business. I feel a degree of sympathy for Roger Munby who is a thoroughly nice man with the best interests of the club at heart but was clearly out of his depth and overinclined to listen to Doncaster.Others have already said it but McNally was probably our most important signing for years....perhaps more controversially I think even more so than Lambert. While we should certainly do what we can to hang on to PL, we should also make damn sure that we have McNally on a long-term contract because I cqn see him being very attractive to some of the money-men moving into the higher leagues.

The brains behind the it all, the lad just keeps on renewing my faith, after that excuse of a man Doncaster this is one catch we have to keep hold of.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]McNally was our best signing in years, brought aggresion and a take no crap attitude to the club, something we have always lacked.[/quote]

and none of this, consolidate this season, garbage either. 

[/quote]He seemed to be hinting towards putting his 7 year plan behind us too.I wonder if he has picked up the comments that both myself and several other posters made about his "7 year plan" on here???

I haven''t heard the McNally interview but it''s not obviously clear from the comments on this thread as to what it is he actually objecting to as far as the EDP story is concerned. It seemed to be a perfectly straightforward piece of journalism on a newsworthy subject. And a subject made newsworthy by NCFC well over a year ago, as it happens...

[quote user="Smudger"]McNally called it over-sensational journalism or something similar I believe Purple?[/quote]

Indeed he may have done. My question was why? On the face of it the story wasn''t remotely sensational.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I haven''t heard the McNally interview but it''s not obviously clear from the comments on this thread as to what it is he actually objecting to as far as the EDP story is concerned. It seemed to be a perfectly straightforward piece of journalism on a newsworthy subject. And a subject made newsworthy by NCFC well over a year ago, as it happens...[/quote]I agree.  I''m normally the first to lay into Archant for their usual lazy copy-and-paste, rumour-mongering ''journalism'', but in this instance it finally seems like someone has gone out and found the story, rather than waiting for one to fall into his lap.  If its upset the club, who gives a sh*t, most on here were screaming that Archant would become the club''s lapdogs with Phillips'' appointment to the board, and this proves that''s anything but the case.  Archant get to show their teeth, NCFC get to show their muscle - its win-win for the city of Norwich!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I haven''t heard the McNally interview but it''s not obviously clear from the comments on this thread as to what it is he actually objecting to as far as the EDP story is concerned. It seemed to be a perfectly straightforward piece of journalism on a newsworthy subject. And a subject made newsworthy by NCFC well over a year ago, as it happens...[/quote]I agree.  I''m normally the first to lay into Archant for their usual lazy copy-and-paste, rumour-mongering ''journalism'', but in this instance it finally seems like someone has gone out and found the story, rather than waiting for one to fall into his lap.  If its upset the club, who gives a sh*t, most on here were screaming that Archant would become the club''s lapdogs with Phillips'' appointment to the board, and this proves that''s anything but the case.  Archant get to show their teeth, NCFC get to show their muscle - its win-win for the city of Norwich![/quote]I know it is a rare thing but I think that I may agree with the pair of you on this one... [Y]Maybe McNally has something to hide?I really don''t know, maybe you should ask him?PS - I only have one tin hat... which one of you would like to borrow it???

Who was that aimed at Woody?I have heard what he had to say and can''t really see what he is getting himself worked up about.

[quote user="woody"]Listen to it FFS - then you can make something approximating intelligent comment![/quote]

If I could (listen to it) I would. But I cannot. That is why I have asked people who can listen to it actually what is the rationale for his apparently unspecified attack.

Initially it was Purplecanary''s "I haven''t heard the McNally interview but..."

Then it seemed others hadn''t also.

Sorry Purple, didn''t see that...

The important bit that seemed to anger McNally was that he had spoken at length to the journalist in question, put him right over several issues - and then the journalist chose not to use any of McNally''s interview at all.

Instead, he went ahead and printed a load of sensationalist bollox (3 pages in total) about the yank.

Yes, the one who put Tranmere up for sale on Ebay... and who''s only internet prescence (apart from a blog) suggests a staff of 2, and a turnover of $110,000 a year!

[quote user="woody"]Initially it was Purplecanary''s "I haven''t heard the McNally interview but..."

Then it seemed others hadn''t also.[/quote]

Woody, the point is not that I haven''t heard the interview through laziness, but that I cannot hear it. Full stop. Not every Norwich fan lives within listening range of the relevant local radio. Which is why I asked if anyone could provide a more detailed explanation of McNally''s complaint.

No offence meant... see above.

Is this any use?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8527058.stm

Thanks, Woody. Having now heard that I have to say I hope that performance of McNally''s is not typical, because that is not a particularly impressive interview. And there is certainly nothing there to back up his criticism of the EDP piece.

That being said, at least he is stressing that the club intends to take a very close look at any potential investor. An absolute must.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Thanks, Woody. Having now heard that I have to say I hope that performance of McNally''s is not typical, because that is not a particularly impressive interview. And there is certainly nothing there to back up his criticism of the EDP piece.

That being said, at least he is stressing that the club intends to take a very close look at any potential investor. An absolute must.[/quote]Just curious as to why you thought McNally was unimpressive ? What would you have liked him to say? I thought he was obviously annoyed yet rational in the reasons for his annoyance. From the American''s track record, he hardly sounds like a serious contender, & the EDP chose to ignore McNally''s (much better informed) comments totally. Can''t see what more he could have done really.

The thing is Smudge - is that the 7 year plan was probably a conservatively based plan. No point planning for 3 or 4 years if you know that its not likely in 3.Also it probably would change depending on things like this season being so successful. At the begining of the season they (club officials) were saying we had planned and budgeted for two seasons in League 1. To me thats not that they believed we wouldn''t get promoted, just that its not a certain thing. If we go up this season then we are ahead of target.However I think our first season in the Championship will be something else altogther. Consolidation in the first season for me and then pushing on from there.