Sign in to follow this  
hurricane

Justin Fashanu-any posters on here see him play for city?

Just watching late kick off recorded from last night and wondered if anyone on here did see him play for city and how good was he??

He and Reeves were a great partnership and at times he looked like a world beater. Great in the air, good on the ground and very strong, but it all went to pot when he went to Forest.

He could be brilliant. We were so lucky to have a string of quality forwards - Boyer, Reeves, Fashanu ...

I also played against him once, after getting skinned multiple times knew that he was probably much more likely to be a professional footballer than I ever was :-)

He also was attacked by our center mid during that game - well he almost was - all the punches missed their target, I think Justin was junior heavyweight boxing champ at the time.

Look up Norwich v Liverpool for one of the best goals you will ever see.

RIP Justin

He was a prospect and unique in his day-big move to Cloughies Forest did his head. He was big strong and direct without great skill. I was at the Liverpool game - we were good value but they were legendary.

I played against Fash when he played for Attlebrough High School and I played for Old Buckenham - I remember they scored about 8 and he got several - he was a man amongst kids. All in all he is a good memory but would have done better to stay at City - Bond just cashed in on him.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

He was a prospect and unique in his day-big move to Cloughies Forest did his head. He was big strong and direct without great skill. I was at the Liverpool game - we were good value but they were legendary.

I played against Fash when he played for Attlebrough High School and I played for Old Buckenham - I remember they scored about 8 and he got several - he was a man amongst kids. All in all he is a good memory but would have done better to stay at City - Bond just cashed in on him.

[/quote]

He could do a bit of natty footwork though. You can see me on the recording when Fash scored his goal of the season against Liverpool, I was on the edge of the pitch, under the South stand corner pylon, wearing a white stewards coat and am jumping up and down. 

I was lucky enough to be there for a couple of games when fashanu was playing. I thought it was weird that he''d come on the pitch with his legs looking like they''d been oiled. Never knew why and didn''t care. He was fantastic.

The chant for him was simple and great:

Justin Justin Justin Fashanu!

15 rounds with Justin Fashanu!

Saw him a couple of times and he always looked a good player, he may well have gone onto greater things if he had been playing now but the world was not a very understanding place back then.

Saw him at Bristol City in 79 or 80, I remember someone tangled with him and needed a few stitches that day, we won 3-2 and relegated them, then beat Derby the next week and relegated them too if memory serves me right.

Apparently David Fairclough still remembers Fashes goal, my old man spoke to him as he was doing the after dinner speaking rounds on a cruise ship, apparently Fairclough (supersub) got a hat trick that day, but no one remembers that.

We had his brother John as a junior too but decided he wasn''t good enough and let him go to Lincoln City if memory serves me right. John certainly didn''t have the panache that Justin had at that age but went on to be the much more successful of the two as a player. One of the stars of the Wimbledon crazy gang.

Oh yes I saw Fash play many times. I will never forget that goal against Liverpool - I was standing at the back of the Barclay Stand and the sight of Ray Clemence making a despairing dive as the ball flashed past him is forever etched on my memory!