Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Lucky last gasp winner or...

OK tonight was cutting it a bit fine but scoring late in games could well be more than just luck. Could it be we''re fitter than other sides? That''s not the answer for me. I just think we''re better and importantly have more strength in depth. It''s a luxury in this league to be able to bring on subs of the calibre of Smith and Johnson.

Anyway, take a look at the table below and see how prolific we are in the last 15 minutes of games.

SCORING TIMES
0-15 minGF5
GA4
16-30 minGF9
GA8
31-45 minGF12
GA7
46-60 minGF7
GA5
61-75 minGF11
GA4
76-90 minGF25
GA8

You could be right Nutty...Until tonight we have had one of our better players who should be a starter for me sat on the bench!

Most interesting. Didn''t realise it was that many. Also don''t remember the relatively high number conceded late in games also.

They''re moaning about our late goals over on waccoe but i''m sure they get just as many. They equalised v brighton at the weekend on 95.

[quote user="Smudger"]You could be right Nutty...

Until tonight we have had one of our better players who should be a starter for me sat on the bench!
[/quote]

whos that ?

Indeed Smudge but because he started tonight we had Smith on the bench. And if all our players are fit later in the season the bench will be even stronger. That''s the difference for me.

plus i think you''re right nutty that it''s the strength in depth - the quality of our subs.

not just in terms of our subs scoring - prob only oli and cody that have actually scored off the bench for us - but the quality of the substitutions tactically, where players come on and make a difference even if they don''t score.

and that''s down to mr lambert

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Indeed Smudge but because he started tonight we had Smith on the bench. And if all our players are fit later in the season the bench will be even stronger. That''s the difference for me.

[/quote]Ahh this is where the master plan in the first hour or so of tonights game fell apart for me.Need to keep Korey in... he has been an integral part of our winning side and our midfield is nothing without his work rate for me!We certainly have one of the strongest squads in this league, if not the strongest Nutty.  I don''t think that has ever been in doubt over the last couple of months or so?  I don''t believe Lambert (for one reson or another - he certainly has not been helped by injuries and suspensions) has ever fielded what he believes is his strongest 11 yet.  How about you Nutty, what do you feel with regards to that?

I''d be asking serious questions of Lambert if Korey isn''t back in the side on Saturday, our midfield looked so lacking in the middle during the first half, I''d play Hooze & Smith myself.

[quote user="Lambo"]I''d be asking serious questions of Lambert if Korey isn''t back in the side on Saturday, our midfield looked so lacking in the middle during the first half, I''d play Hooze & Smith myself.[/quote]I agree... like I said without Korey''s workrate our midfield just does not work FULL STOP. [Y]

Tonight showed just how important Darrel Russell is IMO, we sorely missed him. I''d be inclined to play them both together after Rusty''s suspension, especially if we''re now going to keep McNamee & Hoolahan in the same side.

Its a staggering amount. Probably a combination of fitness, strength in depth, and the fact we are towards the top of the league.Man United are known for scoring late goals, because anytime they are losing or drawing going into the final quarter of an hour you can guarantee they will be putting severe pressure on the oppo, who in turn will be sat back.So Id say its in part due to our current inability to win games early, as a result the opposition is holding on for dear life and eventually our pressure tells.

It is fitness and mental strength.  What is really impressive is just how many of those late goals have secured us wins against draws.

Last night was not about fitness though;  it was a desparate chasing of a lost game where the fundamental 442 was wrong and so resorted to long balls and a bounce in the box to get a goal.

Does anyone REALLY beleive changing Rusty for Hughes and Smith for Lappin would transform that team into a winning formation??  Dream on.