Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

The real debate

I appreciate that there will be differing views on this so lets try to have a debate without slateing each other for differing views as only Lamberts view will count and he has some tough decisions so here we go now we have seen both with our existing personell 442 v diamond

442 - played last night. The opposition was the team that have not won a game this year and are bottom of the current form standings. Our shape was non existent and at times it reminded me of the Colchester game ( except we had a goalkeeper and 2 centre backs that managed to make last ditch tackles). Wes ( the best player in the league in my opinion ) was effectively taken out of the game by the system. Fantastic to see crosses going in but all to often our front 2 were either out on the wing or trying to get forward from the midfield positions they seemed to be dropping into. I thought Southend quickly sussed this and wether tactically or the guy was injured immediately brought ( 20 mins ) on a centre forward and matched us up. From this point I felt every time they attacked they looked like scoring where as we never really looked like scoring. Our formation made the game open and I am sure the likes of Swindon / Huddersfield and Leeds would have took far more advantage of the situation. The change in the game however came when Hoolahan was given a free role, we suddenly created again.

The diamond - played since the Orient game. Served us well although on the face of it looked like teams were beginning to suss it. This system is however understood by the players and we have the players to make thie system work. It also allows you to switch to a gunhoe system if you fall behind. Likewise if we score first ( Millwall the exception ) it closes the game down, much more boring I know but hey I have spent the last 3 seasons in despair and would forgive 8 or 9 of our last 13 games being the most dire 1 - 0 wins.

There is little doubt that McNamee was the shineing light last night so what I am about say makes little sense. In my opinion we need to switch back to the diamond, can Mcnamee be accomadated in that? personally I think not and needs to remain as an impact player this year, his time will come in the championship. To play 442 means accomadating Wes can we do that? I think not on last nights evidence - but of course this means having the best creative player in the league on the bench.

Whatever PL finishes up doing I would not like to be the guy that has to make the final decision come saturday.

Hoolahan and McNamee musn''t be in the same midfield 4 unless we''re chasing a game, it just leaves us unbalanced and exposed. The only way they can both play in my eyes is to drop Martin or Holt, and play Hoolahan off somebody and then McNamee on 1 flank and Smith/Hughes/Lappin on the other.