Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

My Critical Anaysis Of Last Night

• Michael Rose - Very very poor. When ever he got the ball he refused to play it down the left hand side, Instead cut inside and try and play cross field, and 9times out of 10 he gave it away trying to do this putting the defence in real trouble! and i lost count the amount of times he hoofed it and sliced it out of play. The guy is out of his depth.
  • Lappin and Hughes - Never again should these two start together in center midfield again. Both very similar in play but both extremely lightweight and were both knocked off the ball with ease last and never suceeded in winning the ball back off the Southend midfield. A very poor southend midfield were mae to look good by Lappin and Hughes.
  • C. Martin - Had a shocker! His touch was well off and his shooting was worse! Am i the only one he thought he looked really unfit last night? To me he seems to be carrying a bit of weight?
  • G. Holt - Was beaten most of the time against a strong tall back four. Touch again poor at times but did improve second half.

Basically despite going 4-4-2 we still managed to lack width. Both fulll backs refused to overlapp and play down the line meaning every  thing again went through the middle where our light weight midfield could not get to grips with the bigger stronger southend players. Our first team is desperate for the presence of Askou, Russell, and Drury and untill their fit and playing again i feel we will continue to struggle!

On the positive Doc and Macnamee were excellent as were Oli and Korey who turned the game when they came on.

Agree with you on Rose, and the Midfield setup was not right. But I don''t think Chrissy''s putting on weight or not fit etc... Our two strikers are still very potent, but I reckon the weight of expectation is becomming tough on them. Every prediction, their name is always added as the potential scorers for example. When they do not perform/score suddenly they are off the boil and not fit to play... don''t agree with that.

MacNamee has proved he is worth a place in the starting lineup!

Agree re Hughes and Lappin, did not work at all.

Rose did not play well but think he is still settling in and does have potential which he shows in patches.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

• Michael Rose - Very very poor. When ever he got the ball he refused to play it down the left hand side, Instead cut inside and try and play cross field, and 9times out of 10 he gave it away trying to do this putting the defence in real trouble! and i lost count the amount of times he hoofed it and sliced it out of play. The guy is out of his depth. - 100% agree. Also got fed up with the amount of time he wasted on the ball.
  • Lappin and Hughes - Never again should these two start together in center midfield again. Both very similar in play but both extremely lightweight and were both knocked off the ball with ease last and never suceeded in winning the ball back off the Southend midfield. A very poor southend midfield were mae to look good by Lappin and Hughes. - For me these 2 were not really in the game last night. Hughes made lots of mistakes and Lappin was not much to be seen.
  • C. Martin - Had a shocker! His touch was well off and his shooting was worse! Am i the only one he thought he looked really unfit last night? To me he seems to be carrying a bit of weight?- Absolutely! I said the same thing in another post.
  • G. Holt - Was beaten most of the time against a strong tall back four. Touch again poor at times but did improve second half. - Seems the same since he came back from his suspension.

Basically despite going 4-4-2 we still managed to lack width. Both fulll backs refused to overlapp and play down the line meaning every  thing again went through the middle where our light weight midfield could not get to grips with the bigger stronger southend players. Our first team is desperate for the presence of Askou, Russell, and Drury and untill their fit and playing again i feel we will continue to struggle! - Agree again except for Askou, no doubt he''s a good player, but Doc & Nelly made no reason for his return yet.

[/quote]See Navy text^

i agree, the loss of drury and askou has certainly weakened the side, both defensively and in attack. if u saw with askou, forster always rolled the ball to him from gk''s etc. and he got play moving, whereas with nelson is only capable of booting it into row z most of the time when he gets his foot on the ball, not a criticism though as nelsons game is all about winning the headers and blocks which he does very well. and drurys loss has been felt, with his outlet and crossing ability on the left being missed past few weeks, plus i feel he gets the best out of lappin. so i just hope we can get both them back fit soon.

And how often was Holt the widest man????

The whole 4 midfield were poor and ineffective as a midfield,  not just lappin and hughes.

Agree with your points.

Can''t for the life of me work out how Lappin was in the team above Smith last night he''s been dreadful for weeks. Martin has been lazy the last 4 games needs to up his work rate seriously.

Have to add Michael Nelson is the worst Footballer i have ever seen. The lad can head but its called Football not Headball! The sooner Askou is fit the better!

If we go up we need to add some serious quality to our squad. I would say about 6 players would be needed. LB as decent cover for Drury, CB as cover for Askou, Doc and Whitbread. If we are to continue with the Dimond another decent CM, Another decent winger like Mcnamee to make it more natural if we got 442. A new Goalkeeper as i doubt we can keep Forster next year.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

• Michael Rose - Very very poor. When ever he got the ball he refused to play it down the left hand side, Instead cut inside and try and play cross field, and 9times out of 10 he gave it away trying to do this putting the defence in real trouble! and i lost count the amount of times he hoofed it and sliced it out of play. The guy is out of his depth.

• Lappin and Hughes - Never again should these two start together in center midfield again. Both very similar in play but both extremely lightweight and were both knocked off the ball with ease last and never suceeded in winning the ball back off the Southend midfield. A very poor southend midfield were mae to look good by Lappin and Hughes.

• C. Martin - Had a shocker! His touch was well off and his shooting was worse! Am i the only one he thought he looked really unfit last night? To me he seems to be carrying a bit of weight?

• G. Holt - Was beaten most of the time against a strong tall back four. Touch again poor at times but did improve second half.

Basically despite going 4-4-2 we still managed to lack width. Both fulll backs refused to overlapp and play down the line meaning every  thing again went through the middle where our light weight midfield could not get to grips with the bigger stronger southend players. Our first team is desperate for the presence of Askou, Russell, and Drury and untill their fit and playing again i feel we will continue to struggle!

On the positive Doc and Macnamee were excellent as were Oli and Korey who turned the game when they came on.

[/quote]

Totally agree 100%, spot on!

Why the hell are we frightend to shoot? We are trying to walk the ball into the net, how many times did we did ourselves into a good postition to shoot, only to pass it & lose it. At least if you have a pop & the keeper spills or rebound off the post or bar you have half a chance of getting a tap in. I lost count of the times last night the whole crowd where crying out "Shoooooooot"

[quote user="AndyWhyteUK"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

• Michael Rose - Very very poor. When ever he got the ball he refused to play it down the left hand side, Instead cut inside and try and play cross field, and 9times out of 10 he gave it away trying to do this putting the defence in real trouble! and i lost count the amount of times he hoofed it and sliced it out of play. The guy is out of his depth. - 100% agree. Also got fed up with the amount of time he wasted on the ball.
  • Lappin and Hughes - Never again should these two start together in center midfield again. Both very similar in play but both extremely lightweight and were both knocked off the ball with ease last and never suceeded in winning the ball back off the Southend midfield. A very poor southend midfield were mae to look good by Lappin and Hughes. - For me these 2 were not really in the game last night. Hughes made lots of mistakes and Lappin was not much to be seen.
  • C. Martin - Had a shocker! His touch was well off and his shooting was worse! Am i the only one he thought he looked really unfit last night? To me he seems to be carrying a bit of weight?- Absolutely! I said the same thing in another post.
  • G. Holt - Was beaten most of the time against a strong tall back four. Touch again poor at times but did improve second half. - Seems the same since he came back from his suspension.

Basically despite going 4-4-2 we still managed to lack width. Both fulll backs refused to overlapp and play down the line meaning every  thing again went through the middle where our light weight midfield could not get to grips with the bigger stronger southend players. Our first team is desperate for the presence of Askou, Russell, and Drury and untill their fit and playing again i feel we will continue to struggle! - Agree again except for Askou, no doubt he''s a good player, but Doc & Nelly made no reason for his return yet.

[/quote]See Navy text^[/quote]Agree that Doc and Nelson should not be dropped for Askou, but I think Askou should come in for Rose, he''s left footed and has the pace and strength to play in that position.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]i agree, the loss of drury and askou has certainly weakened the side, both defensively and in attack. if u saw with askou, forster always rolled the ball to him from gk''s etc. and he got play moving, whereas with nelson is only capable of booting it into row z most of the time when he gets his foot on the ball, not a criticism though as nelsons game is all about winning the headers and blocks which he does very well. and drurys loss has been felt, with his outlet and crossing ability on the left being missed past few weeks, plus i feel he gets the best out of lappin. so i just hope we can get both them back fit soon.[/quote]

ahh another point i forgot which you have remined me! I lost count the amount of times Forster could have rolled it out to R.Martin or M.Rose but neither of the full backs wanted the ball which resulted in Forster hoofing the thing up field which totally played into southends game plan. As you pointed out Askou always looks to collect the ball and get the play moving, as does drury. The two are sorely missed and it effects every department on the field, defence midfield attack the job lot.

Askou has to come in at left back , Nelson to be fair played very well last night and the only time Southend looked dangerous was when Rose fouled up.The real bottom line from last night is without Russell we lack bite in midfield and that urgently needs addressing. Our attack did not look that bad last night just not getting enuf feed from midfield. Also remember Holt hit the post and his great shot set up equaliser. Chris Martin needs to stay more on left wing where he looks real threat.I have no problems with attack they will come good but do need a better midfield time for a dip in loan market