Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Player ratings

Forster - 7 solid enough tonight didn''t do much wrong and pulled off a good safe at 1-1 to keep us in it.Russell Martin - 7 Good tonight made rose look like a pub league player!Doherty - 9 My MOTM Very good tonight vital clearances to keep the win within out graspNelson - 6.5 Solid enough tonight although did revert to hoofing the ball on occasionsRose - 1.5 Absolutely awful tonight, that''s all I can really say...Mcnamee - 9 Terrific tonight really scared the sh.ite out of their defence! Inch perfect crosses although did start to lose the ball abit in the second half.Hughes - 4 Passing was dreadful mostly tonight and really looked a shadow of his former self.Lappin - 5 definatly not the CDM which I think he was supposed to be? Yet another poor showing, won barely anything in the centerHools - 6.5 Good on some occasions but did lose the ball abit and was abit scared to shoot.Holt - 6 Didn''t win much today and had the poorest game so far for us.Martin - 6 Did seem to be abit scared to shoot and missed a sitter.Subs:Johnson - 7.5 Good showing from the lad scored 2 good goals and showed som good skillSmith - 6  Don''t think he got involved too much todayRef - 6 About average for a ref in this league I guess, so not amazingly bad and not particularly good.Lambert - 8 Great way to turn around the game but his words of half time didn''t seem to take effect.Midfield - Very poor with only Mcnamee the bright spark within.Defence - The only bad part is rose with the rest being solid.Strikers - Poor game for both and I hope to see a better show next match.

Surely we should recall Wiggins from Bournemouth and bin Rose. He''s been poor for the past few games and is a liability.

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Did''nt holts tooth fall out?[/quote]I think that was R. Martin, but yeah... someone''s did :)I think Nelson should have gotten a much higher rating... He was ''my'' MOTM if I''m being honest... He wouldn''t let them win anything in the air and went in bloody hard a few times, even in their half!

Were Chris Martin and Grant Holt that much better than Rose?

No, not at all.

Luckily for them they''re already popular with the fans but their performances tonight and against Southampton were very poor. There was very little the pair of them didn''t make a mess of.

Not many ratings for a ratings thread so here goes...Forster - 6R. Martin - 7Doherty - 8Nelson - 8Rose - 3McNamee - 8 and my MOMHughes - 4Lappin - 4Hoolahan - 6Holt - 4C. Martin - 3Subs:Smith - 7Johnson - 8

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Not many ratings for a ratings thread so here goes...Forster - 6R. Martin - 7Doherty - 8Nelson - 8Rose - 3McNamee - 8 and my MOMHughes - 4Lappin - 4Hoolahan - 6Holt - 4C. Martin - 3Subs:Smith - 7Johnson - 8[/quote]Abit harsh on Chrissy! I don''t think anyone was as dire as Rose tonight or even a tad bit better.

nelson only 6.5 [:O]

he was my MOTM ahead of the doc I think he was outstanding tonight, and although the doc was good nelson was better!

where about do you sit lewi? as different views give different reflections on players.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

he was my MOTM ahead of the doc I think he was outstanding tonight, and although the doc was good nelson was better!

where about do you sit lewi? as different views give different reflections on players.

[/quote]Admittedly I was abit harsh but I''ve never been a Nelson fan so :/

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]
Admittedly I was abit harsh but I''ve never been a Nelson fan so :/
[/quote]

still sturggle to see how he is only worth 6.5 - im not his biggest fan either but he was awesome tonight.

Graham H how can you McNamee was MOTM - he had a new fancy flicks and trcisk and that was about it!

nelson was MOTM by far tongiht ahead of the doc in 2nd and then smith in 3rd!

Sorry, I must have dreamt the corner for the winning goal then.  As well as some decent crosses and they couldn''t handle his pace - more so in the first half it must be said.  Didn''t get much help in terms of movement either so I would like to see what he can do when everybody is on form...!

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]Admittedly I was abit harsh but I''ve never been a Nelson fan so :/[/quote]

still sturggle to see how he is only worth 6.5 - im not his biggest fan either but he was awesome tonight.

Graham H how can you McNamee was MOTM - he had a new fancy flicks and trcisk and that was about it!

nelson was MOTM by far tongiht ahead of the doc in 2nd and then smith in 3rd!

[/quote]You must be smoking some crazy sh.it banana as Mcnamee''s crosses were pretty much spot on, he easily beat defenders without breaking a sweat!DOC motm followed by Mcnamee followed by JohnsonRemarked Nelson - 8Johnson 8

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Nelson - 6.5 Solid enough tonight although did revert to hoofing the ball on occasions[/quote]Nelson was superblative tonight.. Only reason he ''hoofed'' the ball was because he was caught short of time from covering for the abysmal Rose.

I agree with others that Nelson was worth more he was solid not great and Rose lucky to get 1.5.Hughes however was equally appalling his mistake led to Southend goal and was dreadful at passing tackling running well anything.Holt deserves better score remember hit post and set up goal with good shot 7 I would say certainly better than Chris Martin.I would make radical suggestion of bring Askou back as left back he has the pace and strength to deal with that role and can easily go forward and help LappinJohnson deserves 9 he turned game around and scored with wonderful headerLet us hope Lambert sees error of leabving Rose in there for next match

We know what holt and martin can do they have scored 40 goals between them whereas rose has looked awful. Gets sucked out alot and leads the LB area exposed where he should be. Looks lost when he is beat a could have stopped saints first goal easy. Spillane should be given a run there, impressed me when he did.

Agree with most of whats been said. Doc, Forster, Nelson, McNamee and Oli all candidates for MOM. Surprised nobody has mentioned the energy of Korey though. He did everything Hughes and Lappin didnt ... thats got to be worth something hasnt it?

really impressed with russell martin, very solid game, covered for doc a few times when he got caught out and got forward well, linking up with mcnamee. I dont understand some of the stick he gets on here, cant think of a really bad game hes had. Unlike semmy he can defend (which is quite useful for a full back) and in games such as millwall we''ve seen what he can do coming forward. Has looked as solid tonight in a 4-4-2 as in the diamond (unlike Rose). Also loved the way when his tooth came out he just picked it up, threw it to the physio and carried on. Great commitment and very underrated performance.

Forster - 6.5 - Solid when called upon.

Martin - 6.5 - Same as Forster, solid, no mistakes.

Doc - 8 - Thought he was really good, made some good last ditch tackles.

Nelson - 7 - Had a solid enough game, although distribution was poor and he was out of position a couple of times.

Rose - 4 - Shocking game. His passing was simply terrible. Why was it that every time the ball was played to him he would just hoof it without taking a touch?

Macnamee - 8 - For the first 30 mins of the game he was untouchable, although he was found out a little by the Southend defence in the 2nd half. One thing i did note was that every one of his corners was good, he actually beat the first man unlike some of our previous set piece takers.

Hughes - 4 - Created nothing, didn''t help defensively, could hardly complete a 10 yard pass.

Lappin - 5 - Same as Hughes but kept the ball slightly better.

Hoolahan - 5 - I''m a big fan of Hooly, but he had a bad game tonight. Created nothing, poor decisions, not a good night for him.

Holt - 5 - Only gets a 5 because of his workrate, else it would have been lower. Hasn''t been the same since his suspension.

Martin - 4 - Contributed nothing to the attack apart from a couple of long shots which endangered the people in row Z.

Subs:

Oli - 8 - Fantastic impact. In the right place at the right time for his first, then a superb header for his second.

Smith - 7 - Much better than the other two centre mids, more energy, better distribution. Why didn''t he start?

Overall: Awful performance from the lads, but a win''s a win. Can''t help but feel we''re starting to run low on get out of jail free cards now though, we need to start playing how we were a couple of months ago and stop relying on last-gasp winners, ''cos we ain''t gonna keep getting them.

An amazing fantastic win,  a season defining second half and something we have to build on for saturday.

But what an appalling display.   Easily the worst since Colchester and far worse that against the saints.  We mugged southend who looked like a side fighting relegation and not one player deserved anything like a 9.  A desperation win from long ball tactics because the game plan did not work is not a sustainable repeatable promotion winning strategy. Against better teams we will pick up points.

Defensive shambles for their goal,  no attacking potency,  shocking midfield and shaky at the back.   

Lambert 3.   Tactics so so so wrong.   442 failed miserably;  no ball winning capability. Our midfield was none existant again and a major rethink is needed - this was far worse than the diamond.  Its easy to slate hughes and lappin but when neither hoolahan or macnamee - and yes both WERE midfielders last night offer the defensive protection required from a 442 - they,  and so the team,  were always going to suffer.  Esp when both are basically wide midfielders?  We could have had smith and russell there and the outcome would have been the same so while both laps and hughes were not great the burden placed on them by the manager was too much,  as was shown by Smiths limited impact when he came on.   I cannot understand why Smith was dropped,  he was the best midfielder sat.   It says it all that for the last 20 mins all we did was played desparate long ball into their box and hope,  yes have faith,  kept the faith without much belief,  that we would get a break. None of the 4 midfielders kept the ball well enough.  Our left flank is incredibly weak and drury and askou are needed and fast.  Up front holt on the basis of the last two games should be dropped.  Diabolically poor,  injured or otherwise;  simply yards off the pace.  McNamee was OK going forward,  but did nothing to protect us,  and was not good enough going forward to "scare" a poor opposition into sitting back.  His introduction mad us a worse team.   Going 4-1-5 after the subs is not genius

Changes needed for Oldham Paul

Forster 6  Did little wrong and no chance with the goal.

RMartin 7 Best game for a long while,  covered the back line,  some good covering tackles and covered McNamees absence well. My MOTM

Doc 6 Solid,  but should have done better for their goal,  offered a threat from the hundreds of set pieces we had, that were our only source of real goal threat

Nelson 4   Simply inadequate.

Rose 4 Their goal would not have happend had he defended the run properly - Drury instead of rose and we wouldhave gone in level at half time.  Repeated time after time all game.  Liek Nelson out of his depth.

Hoolahan 5 Industrious and unlike McNamee was seen defending and winning the ball as well as trying to create.   Was the player most likely to create a goal,  but gave the ball away too often.

Lappin 5 Had our best effort on goal in the first half and best of the midfielders in the first half.  But simply overrun

Hughes 4  Game passed him by as he was swamped.

McNamee 5 An encouraging first 5 minutes which on reflection summed up his game. He had a huge amount of the ball but like Hoolahan and the rest of the midfield gave the ball back to Southend too often.  His only benefit is that he is a winger and his returning the ball to them came in the form of what are beautifully shaped aerial passes across the box,  yes crosses.  however of all the open play crosses he attempted - and there were a lot - only 4-5 were remotely near one of our players.  The rest of the time he went behind the goal into the keepers arms or found one of their defenders.  That is losing possession as much as Hoolahan trying an intricate pass around teh edge of the box.  His crossing was not good enough.  His fearsome pace was not used to chase balls over the top - he is only interested when the ball his played to his feet.  We saw little evidence of his pace,  mainly his dribbling ability.   The theory that his attacking pace and prowess would make southend sit back and defend was blown out of the water too. His attacking contribution did not outweigh the lack of committment to the team, his energy or defensive contribution which were not acceptable.  In a 442 he has to defend.

Martin  6 At least he created himself some chances as he was being given none by the midfield.   But did not look like scoring and not at his best - best of the attacking players.

Holt  4  Off the pace,  not harrying, no goal threat and out wide too often,  especially when we areplaying WITH two wide men.

Smith 5 See lappin and Hughes - One defensive mdfielder and overrun too - no better than those before him

OJ 7 only other candidate for motm.  Missed a howler and still scored two;  was strong, direct and dangerous that all the starting "glamour" 4 of Holt, Martim, McNamee and Hoolahan were not. Oli Oli Oli  A match winning performance.

Anyone in my opinion who rates Nelson less than 7 wasn''t watching the same game.Nelson was the only person between their strikers and the goal on several occasions. He effectively 2 men as Rose continually went AWOL and still managed to cover his own ground. His distribution was never first class, but he made the simple pass when he could and cleared the ball well when he had to.I can only think the people rating him poorly were sat too far away to be able to work out all the work he was doing. Because to rate him poorly in my mind is as daft as rating Rose a 10 last night.

He hasn''t been his usual powerful, confident self. That''s for sure!Chris Martin dare I say it looked unfit last night.. like he was carrying a little extra weight?!

i''d go for...

Forster 6 - one sharp stop in the second half, one poor kick in the first - seemed reluctant to race out for the ball on a couple of occasions.
R Martin 5 - disjointed performance, but at least made the effort to cover for the midfield''s lack of effort.
Nelson 6 - typical performance really... caught for pace a couple of times but generally strong in the air and getting better positionally.
Doherty 7 - good night''s work - had to cover for Rose a lot in the second half and made a few great challenges.
Rose 4 - couldn''t pass, wouldn''t track back, turned and outpaced constantly.  outstandingly poor.
MacNamee 8 (MOM) - kept on... and on... and on.  lots of effort and, crucially, QUALITY!  some great crosses from dead balls and open play, and had their defence worried all night.  really promising debut.
Lappin 5 - i like lappin, but he really is looking increasingly jaded right now.  wondering why he''s still in the team, especially as he wasn''t taking set pieces tonight - certainly doesn''t look like a centre mid in a 442.
Hughes 4 - really disappointing, especially in terms of the amount of energy he seemed willing to put in - there''s a place in the side up for grabs and hughes really didn''t seem to care that much.  did nothing to support the strikers OR the defence all game.
Hoolahan 6 - tried some stuff, mostly didn''t work out but was lacking options to pass to most of the time.
Holt 5 - what is wrong with Holt?  flat footed and slow all night.  is he playing with an injury? 
C Martin 4 - a return to the bad old days.  had him as my MOM on saturday, but barely contributed at all last night.
+
Smith 6 - achieved at least as much as Lappin and Hughes combined.  seemed to give us the impetus to drive forward and use the ball positively.  deserves a rest, but can we afford to leave him out of the starting 11?
Johnson 8 - right place, right time.  twice.   put southend on the back foot as soon as he came on, and should have had a hattrick with a free header that he sent miles over the bar at 1-1. 

Yes he covered for Rose who was equally positionally poor.  There is more to defending than just being in the way. 

Every threat came through the left side because of positional gaps,  left by both Rose and Nelson,  not just Rose.   Heading the ball away is not good enough to be a defender.

how people can say CM was that bad. true he had an off night and a couple of things did not go his way.

for me holt was a lot worse!!!

and carrying extra weight? what a load of Sh!t if any one looked unfit it was holt and even smith when he came on looked tired!!!!

i would say that lappin, haughes, hoolahan and especially rose were also terrible tonight.

but at the end of the day we ground out a fantastic result last night could be such an important win.

next game i would consider dropping hoolahan and maybe lappin!