Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Clean sheets

After a pleasing run of clean sheets, we have conceded goals in each of the last six games, some against lower table teams.

There have been judgements on one or two defenders of poor quality perrformance, but the the goals correpsond to poor performances of the team as a whole.

So where does Lambert start. The central core of Forster and Doc seems O.K. but could be improved with Askou or Whitbread.

The return of Drury will surely make a difference. How long will this be?

Clearly Lambert thinks that the midfield is under-performing, - hence his part reversion to 4-4-2. This is probably where the biggest problem lies. A three man midfield, with he central one playing back and the wide left, Lappin, very attacking and so upfield, is clearly not good enough.

To include Manamee, very important from his performabnce last night, will tend to weaken the midfield even more.

Something revolutionary may be needed - Martin (C) or Hooly on the left, and four across the middle, or a 3-4-3 set up, which PL has used when chasing a game?

Clearly something has to be done to retore our slick -assing game which defeated so many teams and set up the high scoring trio.

Would you care to explain yourself Nana?Surely Lambert could of just swapped Hughes or Gill for Russell if he fancied playing the diamond yet again?

[quote user="Smudger"]Would you care to explain yourself Nana?

Surely Lambert could of just swapped Hughes or Gill for Russell if he fancied playing the diamond yet again?
[/quote]

Its not neccessarily an argument I agree with but we might have changed system yesterday because Lambert does not believe either Gill or Hughes are good enough to play that holding role that makes us tick.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Would you care to explain yourself Nana?

Surely Lambert could of just swapped Hughes or Gill for Russell if he fancied playing the diamond yet again?
[/quote]

Its not neccessarily an argument I agree with but we might have changed system yesterday because Lambert does not believe either Gill or Hughes are good enough to play that holding role that makes us tick.

[/quote]

I don''t think that''s the case. Gill did very well when he filled in for Rusty in the second half against Millwall.

I think the changes were motivated more by Lambert''s desire to get McNamee in the team to give us something a bit fresher up front.

I totally agree with the OP though regarding cleansheets. We really do need to sort that out, as soon as we do in at the very least means we won''t lose which is going to be very important when we face tough away games at Swindon and Huddersfield. If we go a goal down against either of those they''re in a far better position to take advantage of the space they''ll get as we chase the game than the likes of Hartlepool, Brighton, Walsall and Southend.

We miss Drury a lot in my opinion, but this clearly isn''t the only issue.

Quite right Smudge as we discussed yesterday When Russell was injured for Southend away Hughes went straight in and played very well - no change of system.

The thing that concerns me now is that Lambert thinks ( with justification ) that the diamond is no longer effective. On the evidence of last night nor was the 442. What he will do Saturday is anyones guess but to start experimenting with different players each week will not be an option as there are only 13 games left. We have some excellent players that are outstanding in certain set ups. If they all fitted into the same one it would be a no brainer. The diamond for me is certainly the safer option and more easily changed if we get behind. I certainly would not like to have to make the call on Saturday whatever he does if we should lose there will be an easy argument of we should have done this or that or not played that system.