Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Is Chris Martin lazy?

It is something I have seen bought up on this board a number of times and it bugs me because I dont think he is. Simply I think he is the sort of player who you wont notice much on the pitch- he is not going to track back and make tackles or drop deep. Instead he likes to play on the shoulder of the defender and is constantly making runs off them, hoping a teamate will spot him. He also in my opinion has the best finish in the squad.

I think he can be and has been in the past, quality finisher though and his attitude has inproved greatly.

Thought he ran around like a man possessed while Holt was suspended and has carried it on since. He was poor last night though, but i dont think it was down to lack of effort.

[quote user="Henry"]Thought he ran around like a man possessed while Holt was suspended and has carried it on since. He was poor last night though, but i dont think it was down to lack of effort.[/quote]Agree, and people should stop looking for excuses to criticise players at the drop of a hat.

Like Dogger, i think he has been in the past, but i personally consider him far less lazy than the Jamie Cureton i''ve seen.He''s a very talented individual, and when on form, a formidable assett. That clearly shows in his goal tally, as well as being of only two players, alongside Victor Moses, to have gained the Football League Young Player Of The Month award so far this season.He''s been poor at times admittedly, but he''s on course to much improve over the next few years, and i for one wholly value his contribution to the team so far, and with the potential he has, i can see him turning into a very good quality player.

Yeah, he can be a little lazy, too casual.

But last night I thought showed up his lack of pace. How many times did he run with the ball but couldn''t beat his man or couldn''t create enough space for an opening?

He''s a good player, though.

He does what many great strikers do and waits for his chances. It''s true that players like Rooney, Holt and Kevin Davies run around everywhere but players like Owen, Torres, Ian Wright etc never really cover much ground. By staying up top he is giving defenders a problem even when Norwich don''t have the ball.

I would be very surprised if he isn''t feeling fatigue though, has played almost every game since coming back into the team and seems to be rarely subbed off. Wouldn''t mind seeing Johnson get a start against Oldham and allowing Martin a break. There is also the chance that a lot of the recent plaudits have gone to his head a little, but hard to know without really knowing the guy. Sure he''ll be knocking in the goals again sooner or later.

He''s not lazy.. it''s his playstyle... Definately not lazy!He was chasing the ball back to the keeper plenty last night but he doesn''t get stuck in like Holt or Hoola who''s to say that isn''t because he''s been ordered to? We''ve not really seen enough of him in the first team outside of the diamond to know otherwise..

I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.[/quote]If he wasn''t putting the required effort in Lambert wouldn''t even have him on the pitch.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.[/quote]

If he wasn''t putting the required effort in Lambert wouldn''t even have him on the pitch.
[/quote]

I thought he had a shocker last night, but he wasnt the only one on the pitch that did! I know of Chris and he does tend, alledgedly, to have sulks and attitude problems!

My view is that he should be dropped on Saturday as a kick up the arse

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.[/quote]If he wasn''t putting the required effort in Lambert wouldn''t even have him on the pitch.[/quote]

I thought he had a shocker last night, but he wasnt the only one on the pitch that did! I know of Chris and he does tend, alledgedly, to have sulks and attitude problems!

[/quote]I think a lot of heads dropped when they didn''t take the lead despite all the possession early doors, most of the players looked uncomfortable in the system. I don''t think he did little enough to warrant being dropped.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.[/quote]

If he wasn''t putting the required effort in Lambert wouldn''t even have him on the pitch.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dropping players occasionally will do no harm and will remind them that they have to work hard to keep a place in the team, and to avoid complacency. I think Oli deserves a start on Saturday, as players that perform and are on form should be rewarded. On current performances it would certainly appear that some regulars need a wake-up call, and giving them a rest is the way to do it.  

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think a lot of heads dropped when they didn''t take the lead despite all the possession early doors, most of the players looked uncomfortable in the system. I don''t think he did little enough to warrant being dropped.
[/quote]

He also didnt play well against Southampton and by all acounts he struggled against Brighton the game before. I''m not saying he should be permantly dropped but sitting on the subs bench against Oldham may give him the hunger and desire to get raise his head again.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I heard someone say last night that he''s got his new contract so he''s not bothered anymore. Do i agree.......the jury''s out but there may be an elemant of truth.[/quote]If he wasn''t putting the required effort in Lambert wouldn''t even have him on the pitch.[/quote]

[/quote]I think a lot of heads dropped when they didn''t take the lead despite all the possession early doors, most of the players looked uncomfortable in the system. I don''t think he did little enough to warrant being dropped.[/quote]

He also didnt play well against Southampton and by all acounts he struggled against Brighton the game before. I''m not saying he should be permantly dropped but sitting on the subs bench against Oldham may give him the hunger and desire to get raise his head again.

[/quote]Sorry, but very few players covered themselves in glory in the Southampton and Brighton games, should we drop them all?I think that his laid back approach to the game can be misinterpreted as being lazy, but when you compound this with the team playing badly as a whole then it is easy to single him out.I don''t think any players are in doubt as to what will happen if they don''t meet the required standards.

I''m a fan and I think Chrissy ''s a great player to have in the team. I don''t think the term "Lazy" is apropriate by any means. He''s an out and out striker, this means he focusses on scoring...

Chris is a very talented lad who could go a long way in the game (hence Lambert getting him on a long term contract. It seems to me that as far as a section of the fans goes, he will always be damned for his bad attitude after he first broke through, so every time he has a poor game this sort of crap comes up. If anyone should be benched up front at present it''s Holt.

No, not lazy.... by no means a work man on  the pitch, but he plays better lurking around the box in space and then using his good finishing to do the work for him..... why bother chassing every ball when you could just wait to pick it up and place it in the back of the net. I also think anyone who thinks he is Lazy should watch his two goals againat Col U again.

Not lazy at all. However you dont want both your strikers tracking back and harrying defenders. If you do that who is left up front to get on the end of through balls. Martin is not quick but as his second at Colchester illustrated he is quick enough. He is fine player but again every forgets he has only just turned 21. I reckon he could benefit from a rest. I would love to what impact Oli could have started alongside a big man in Holt. Its a long season so using the squad is really important.

I like Chrissy, even though before he got shipped out his attitude wasn''t good at times.  But lazy no.

Does anyone else find that he gets pushed off the ball too easily, he might be a big guy but he sometimes get''s pushed off the ball like he''s a 7 stone weakling.