Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Saturdays Ref

I know we were below par at the weekend but it is interesting to note that the only other game where we have failed to score this year (Walsall) we had the same ref. In that game, as with Saturday when Chris Martin was fouled, we had a cast iron penalty turned down (Mcdonald had his shirt pulled when he was about to shoot) and he disallowed Nelsons headed goal when nobody (even all the TV pundits) could see that there had been any infringement. Coincidence?

It seemed to me that the referee got all of the major decisions wrong on Saturday and how Lee Barnard did not get booked is a complete mystery. Pardew said in his post match summary their objective was to knock us of our stride. It seemed to me that on virtually every occasion their players were hitting ours late after the ball had gone and were getting away with it. In my opinion we seem to be a team that is to honest and don''t make a meal of it when we are wronged against. Unfortunately when teams play against us they seem to be getting away with murder. I know I see things through yellow and green glasses but wonder what everybody else thinks?

See i didn''t see any of this, i thought bar the Rusty desision (and kinda the Martin one, but you don''t get penalty''s for pushing anyway, never have probably never will.....) he was good....... booked a couple of their players, maybe one or two more could have got cards, but not really vital anyway.....

We have had some absolutley terrible Refs this season though......

Russell Booth also did our 4-2 defeat at Charlton on the last day of last season! [:O](The conspriracy doesn''t go any further back, we won our last couple of games with him before that.)

I sit right next to the penalty incident and although appealing at the time if that would have been given against us I would have gone mad. In the premiership Martin would probably have been booked. Interesting what you say about their lack of yellow cards as Lambert says the yellow cards they got should never have been. Maybe this is a bit of kidology from PL though to be used to try and get Russels red removed.

Unfortunately we are in division 1 and however big we see the game there are at least 21 more important games than ours. The major difference of top referees is the ability to give consistent decisions. Personally I thought their first goal should have been disallowed, but then again I also thought Holts goal against Charlton should also have been disallowed so given that we did ok on dodgy decisions.

Having said all that refs are judged on the big decisions and this one he got totally wrong however from the angle that the tv have you can understand why the red was given, but what the referee did not do was think first and weigh everything up. That is the quickest brandishing of a red I have ever seen which yes with our green and yellow spectacles on makes it look suspicous

I thought he was awful. The sending off I can sort of forgive, it was an honest mistake and i can imagine that from some angles it might have looked pretty bad. From where I was i wasn''t even sure it was a free kick. But the worst aspect of his game was his inability to stop Southampton''s constant niggly little fouls which totally destroyed the rhythm of the game. Hoolahan was fouled almost every time he got the ball. none of the fouls on their own was worth a booking, but they were clearly calculated to knock us off our stride. A better referee would have put a stop to that.

Oh, and how he allowed the first goal was a mystery to me.

why did you think first goal should have been disallowed? I saw some half hearted appeals by some of our players but could not see what for

For the first goal, Nelson was pushed in the back.

I too was interested in Pardew''s comments. I thought that Southampton reminded me very much of the old Wimbledon and like it or not that style of play often knocks a more passing side out of their stride and appearing to get more of the refs decisions.

No excuse, however, we had an off day. We have played them twice this season at St Mary''s and were the better team on both occasions. That''s football.