Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Nelsons Performance last night

I havent seen it mentioned in any other posts but i have to single out Michael Nelsons perfomance last night.

He commanded the defence supurbly IMO and i thought that he should have got the man of the match award. I cannot remember him missing 1 header all night.

Perhaps this was driven by the return from injury of Spillane and Askou. Keep it up Michael!! 

WoW...... Please he had a solid game, that is it. 6.5 rating!! Didnt really do anything wrong but dont think for one second that he will maintain his spot when Askou or Whitbread are fully fit again!!!

LOL

Everyone seems to be just waiting for the day we put Askou back in and assuming it''ll be for Nelson. Going on the pinkun commentary at least, he has behind absolutely everything. Paddy D will tell you he''s been immense every time he''s been on the commentary.

I think the current CBs know that they have two top quality CBs just waiting to replace them. If anything, Nelson seems to have outperformed the Doc in recent games.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]But Smudger said he was shite last night?  Is he wrong? [:$]
[/quote]

Absolutely, I don''t know what game he was looking at.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]But Smudger said he was shite last night?  Is he wrong? [:$][/quote]

Absolutely, I don''t know what game he was looking at.

[/quote]Christ, what is the world coming to when Smudger, listening to a game on the radio, can''t call a performance right... tsk...

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

I havent seen it mentioned in any other posts but i have to single out Michael Nelsons perfomance last night.

He commanded the defence supurbly IMO and i thought that he should have got the man of the match award. I cannot remember him missing 1 header all night.

Perhaps this was driven by the return from injury of Spillane and Askou. Keep it up Michael!! 

[/quote]

I have been one of Nelsons biggest critics, but I must say I did say last night that he had to be in the running for MOM.

He cleaned up behind Rose on more than one occaision.

Although again his distribution does tend to consist of hoofing it the way he is facing.

Im sorry but this is just not right, listen Nelson has done ok since Askou has been out, he is a decent league one defender, good in the air all round defending ok. In terms of distribution of the ball he is shocking, in fact i find it hard to call him a footballer the amount of times he has stuffed it in to row Z or cleared it into the feet of the attacking side is just too much for me. In fact the game against Southampton he got caught out down the left so many times it was embarassing!!! 

Doc has been great for us this season, heading, position, all round game excellent. I have this on going argument with my friend that Askou will partner the Doc once fully fit, but he seems to think it will be Askou and Whitbread.

OTBC

Well... to be fair, he was playing against timmy strikers. Against Rickie Lambert (one of the best in the league) he was all over the place, its mainly down to him being comfortable at this level, doubt wether he can step up to the Championship though.

also i wish he would put on some normal football boots and throw them 50pence peices he wears away. He might start keeping the ball on the pitch, you never know.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]

[/quote]

I have been one of Nelsons biggest critics, but I must say I did say last night that he had to be in the running for MOM.

He cleaned up behind Rose on more than one occaision.

Although again his distribution does tend to consist of hoofing it the way he is facing.

[/quote]

Agreed although thinking Askou is a better all round player I would think that he will have to do something drastically wrong for Askou to get back in. At least his hoofing gets the ball safe and not given away to an opposition player in a dangerous position.

Nelson did well last night and in general he usually plays well for us.

I think it''s odd how much people want Askou back in the team, I don''t think he''ll improve anything.

I had to chuckle last night when Nelson made a good defensive header under pressure, the ball went about 20 yards or so but was picked up by a Southend player who reacted quickest. A chap near me said "Your distribution is awful, Nelson". All you can do is laugh, some people are totally clueless.

[quote user="GJP"]

I think it''s odd how much people want Askou back in the team, I don''t think he''ll improve anything.

I had to chuckle last night when Nelson made a good defensive header under pressure, the ball went about 20 yards or so but was picked up by a Southend player who reacted quickest. A chap near me said "Your distribution is awful, Nelson". All you can do is laugh, some people are totally clueless.

[/quote]Absolutely! As Lambert is king clearly pointed out to me yesterday he''ll make a quality interception and clear it but get critism for it even though he was covering Roses''s ground and had no other choice.I''d rather see Nelson clear every ball than Rose fluff it up or wait so long on the ball that all our players get marked up like what happened last night.

GJP, maybe that comment about the header is a little harsh..... but your telling me that you dont think Nelson''s distribution of the ball is awful. Its like watching a 5 year old in the park kick the ball into the bushes with his dad!!!

Askou when fit will bring a lot more to the defence, although Askou''s passing is not the best he is a more competent defender than Nelson.

Im sorry its the truth.....

[quote user="AndyWhyteUK"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Absolutely! As Lambert is king clearly pointed out to me yesterday he''ll make a quality interception and clear it but get critism for it even though he was covering Roses''s ground and had no other choice.

I''d rather see Nelson clear every ball than Rose fluff it up or wait so long on the ball that all our players get marked up like what happened last night.
[/quote]

Totally agree! The biggest problem was Rose and the fact that Drury''s out. I think it''s quite odd that people are giving Nelson the stick. He performed solidly and the problem yesterday was to be found in the middle of the park.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]but your telling me that you dont think Nelson''s distribution of the ball is awful.[/quote]

No, I''m pretty sure that''s not what he''s saying.  Read his comment again and see if you can work it out.

I saw something in Nelson last night that I haven''t seen since Hughes against the scum about 3 years ago.He looked like a man on a mission and the amount of tackles he threw himself into in the opposition''s half was amazing. I can''t remember seeing him venture beyond it with the exception of set-pieces, so to see him moving up to dispossess the opposition was refreshing.It was between him and Oli for MOM last night IMO (Oli obviously because of the goals).

Sorry for the double post... Just saw this.[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Are you in the Jarrold stand?I''ve a chap who sits behind me who was giving nelson and Lappin both the FFS treatment whenever they did bloody well just to get something on the ball, only for a Saarfend player to gain possession. They''re trying... Jesus.It made me quite angry to be honest.

I dont think he will be dropped. You cant just keep changing your CB partnership unless one of them is having a serious loss of form or injured.

Nelson had to wait to get into the team after being injured and I think Askou and Whitbread will be the same.

Its the way Lambert seems to operate, if the team is winning he wont make changes for the sake of changes. If you are in the team and we are winning and you are performing well (which Nelson is) then that shirt is yours to lose.

[quote user="Sephiroth Owa"]Sorry for the double post... Just saw this.[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Are you in the Jarrold stand?I''ve a chap who sits behind me who was giving nelson and Lappin both the FFS treatment whenever they did bloody well just to get something on the ball, only for a Saarfend player to gain possession. They''re trying... Jesus.It made me quite angry to be honest.[/quote]Some ol boy in the Snakepit end of the GW looked like he was gonna have  heart attack he was giving it so much aggro!