Sign in to follow this  
NCFCanary

Have Norwich been getting 'the rub of the green'?

After reading some Swindon, Millwall and other fans opinions on us at the moment on the 606 boards, most of them think that we''ve been pretty lucky this season to be top of the league...

I thought I''d look into this a bit and this is what i found, pretty impressive statistics from the top 6 teams!

Hit the Woodwork this season:

Norwich - 3 times

Leeds - 21 times

Colchester - 10 times

Charlton - 17 times

Swindon - 11 times

Huddersfield - 15 times

I myself wonder where Norwich could have been if even only say half these missed chances had gone in for the other top 6 teams?

Have we really been getting ''the rub of the green''?

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-40.gif

some recent results have been a bit close

Leeds fans are moaning about last minute goals and us being so lucky, but surely a good side that can win the league wins if their one nill down or not playing so well!!!

The last couple of seasons we havent had the rub of the green so we should enjoy having it while it lasts  

[quote user="Brendo "]I''m sorry but that cannot be right. 3 times this season? [^o)][/quote]

Sorry, just had a look on individual players stats:

Grant Holt - 2 times

Chris Martin - 2 times

No one else, so that''s 4 times this season in the league!

I think that we have recently had luck - played poorly and still managed a few wins. Opposng sides have not punished us as they might have. We may have had some ill luck earlier in our winning run, but we have "got away" with poor performances recently.

We have had a reasonable run over injuries, although you could argue that those to Drury and Askou may have proved serious.

[quote user="Brendo "]Well that''s wrong. Holt last night, Korey against Soton, that''s 2. [/quote]

It doesn''t really matter when the time of writing was for these statistics was, im pretty sure if we''ve hit the post twice more Leeds have probably hit it another 5 or 6 times!

What are people thoughts on this, i would say this is quite a telling set of figures for how we are slightly fortunate to be where we are?

[quote user="NCFCanary"][quote user="Brendo "]Well that''s wrong. Holt last night, Korey against Soton, that''s 2. [/quote]

It doesn''t really matter when the time of writing was for these statistics was, im pretty sure if we''ve hit the post twice more Leeds have probably hit it another 5 or 6 times!

What are people thoughts on this, i would say this is quite a telling set of figures for how we are slightly fortunate to be where we are?[/quote]Or you could say that we have better strikers, so hit the target more often, hence why we have scored more goals than anybody else?

[quote user="NCFCanary"][quote user="Brendo "]I''m sorry but that cannot be right. 3 times this season? [^o)]
[/quote] Sorry, just had a look on individual players stats: Grant Holt - 2 times Chris Martin - 2 times No one else, so that''s 4 times this season in the league![/quote]

Even if those figures are correct, which I seriously doubt, you can''t just ignore all other players in the team who have hit woodwork...... Cody for instance. On top of that, what about deflections that we have suffered whereby a ball is diverted off target, which can be down to bad luck. I''ve seen loads of those against us.  

We may have had the run of the green but like Soton, we haven''t always. We have made some of our luck by sheer hard work and desire in a lot of games, we have not given up in games and the late goals have proved this.

How does hitting the post equate to luck?Surely you are better at looking at shots to goal ratios. I think you will find that Norwich are quite good in comparison to other teams. Hitting the woodwork has nothing to do with luck.To me luck is things like the keeper guessing the right way and saving a penalty or a shot that is going wide getting deflected in off a defender or a goal keeper slipping when taking a goal kick and gifting the ball to a striker who then slots the ball home for the winning goal.Bah but what do I know?!!

i always thought the idea was to put the ball between the posts ? and as we are top goal scorers it would suggest we are quit good at that [:D]

I''m sorry but hitting the woodwork counts as an inaccurate shot. It is because we have better quality finishers, nothing to do with luck but the fact that we are clinical.

[quote user="book end"]

I''m sorry but hitting the woodwork counts as an inaccurate shot. It is because we have better quality finishers, nothing to do with luck but the fact that we are clinical.

[/quote]

Agreed, and that must be very worrying regarding Beckford.  [:D]

Exactly as I.S/book end say - it is inevitable that the top scorers hit the post less because they hit the target (and thus score) more. That''s why we''re top scorers!

Let them moan all they like - the table doesn''t lie!

We''re top because we''re the best team in this league, not because we''re lucky or any other reason.

What about Fraser Forster shanking a goal kick straight to Beckford at Leeds?  He''ll never do that again in his career. Was that bad luck?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]

some recent results have been a bit close

Leeds fans are moaning about last minute goals and us being so lucky, but surely a good side that can win the league wins if their one nill down or not playing so well!!!

The last couple of seasons we havent had the rub of the green so we should enjoy having it while it lasts  

[/quote]

are they?

I haven''t seen us moan, could you point that out to me?

[quote user="NCFCanary"]After reading some Swindon, Millwall and other fans opinions on us at the moment on the 606 boards, most of them think that we''ve been pretty lucky this season to be top of the league...

I thought I''d look into this a bit and this is what i found, pretty impressive statistics from the top 6 teams!

Hit the Woodwork this season:

Norwich - 3 times

Leeds - 21 times

Colchester - 10 times

Charlton - 17 times

Swindon - 11 times

Huddersfield - 15 times

I myself wonder where Norwich could have been if even only say half these missed chances had gone in for the other top 6 teams?

Have we really been getting ''the rub of the green''?

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/quote]I think that these teams really ought to find themselves some decent strikers who know where the back of the net is then???I think we have had the rub of the green in many games since the turn of the year, but feel that we have been riding our luck at the back rather than upfront.Quality finishing at this level is what has set us apart from the other teams in the league!

I think the most likely reason they think that we are lucky is because of the number of times we have won games in the last 10 or 15 minutes. It must really get on their wick. But the number of times its happened you can really only put down to good management and fitness levels.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]I think the most likely reason they think that we are lucky is because of the number of times we have won games in the last 10 or 15 minutes. It must really get on their wick. But the number of times its happened you can really only put down to good management and fitness levels.[/quote]Are the Leeds fans forgetting the Fraser Forster f**k up that gifted them all 3 points at Ellan Road in the last minute???

the reason we are top is because we are clinical, great sides are clinical ones. look at chelsea, man utd, score a lot of chances that come their way, however then look at arsenal who miss a lot of chances, and they win f-all!

rival fans are just jealous that we have high class players who can put the ball in the net regularly, whereas rival strikers need a hatful of chances to score a goal.

not luck at all

[quote user="chicken"]How does hitting the post equate to luck?

Surely you are better at looking at shots to goal ratios. I think you will find that Norwich are quite good in comparison to other teams. Hitting the woodwork has nothing to do with luck.

To me luck is things like the keeper guessing the right way and saving a penalty or a shot that is going wide getting deflected in off a defender or a goal keeper slipping when taking a goal kick and gifting the ball to a striker who then slots the ball home for the winning goal.

Bah but what do I know?!!
[/quote]

Exactly, hitting the post is missing, simple as that. Is there going to be a table that tells us how many shots have missed by two inches - you could go on ad infinitum. God, the goal is a big enough target to aim for if you''re on target it goes in, if you''re not it is a miss - no argument in my opinion [:)]  

How is scoring in the last 10-15 minutes lucky?! LOL.

Leeds seem to get all the ''luck'', flukey deflected goals/OGs againts Brighton and Leyton Orient and thats only recently...