Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Losing focus?

Holt and CMartin have both gone off the boil recently.

Are they starting to believe their own publicity and losing focus? It''s happened before.

If so, Lambert needs to bring them down to earth quickly and put them on the right road again.

Bench for Martin, start for Johnson?

But Holt? No effective competition. Is that part of the problem?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Holt and CMartin have both gone off the boil recently.

Are they starting to believe their own publicity and losing focus? It''s happened before.

If so, Lambert needs to bring them down to earth quickly and put them on the right road again.

Bench for Martin, start for Johnson?

But Holt? No effective competition. Is that part of the problem?

OTBC

I think Holt''s problem is that he''s not fully fit. He needs further ankle surgery in the summer and has had back problems as well. He certainly doesn''t look himself at present. Martin was, by all accounts, very poor last night, but I think he gets more stick than he should because of his bad attitude earlier in his career. He carried the attck in Holt''s absence and, in my view, is a key player. The one who needs the kick up the backside is Lappin, who has REALLY gone off the boil.

And, yes, the lack of cover for Holt is a huge problem which may still cost us.

[/quote]

In my very important opinion......

I feel the squad has prematurely "peaked" having gained their revenge on Colchester.  It was the 1-7 humiliation which was driving the players on to "prove" themselves.... that done they can now "relax".......

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

I feel the squad has prematurely "peaked" having gained their revenge on Colchester.  It was the 1-7 humiliation which was driving the players on to "prove" themselves.... that done they can now "relax".......

[/quote]I bloody hope not! What should be driving our players on is getting this club back to where it belongs to be and righting the wrong of religation!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]In my very important opinion...... [/quote]You do talk out of your vent...........[/quote]

You''ll see..... Just you mark my words on this one .......

They have burnt out as a team and the slide begins from here until May.

There may ne an element that the squad players have been studied by clubs and then formed a strategy to keep them in check.

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]
I bloody hope not! What should be driving our players on is getting this club back to where it belongs to be and righting the wrong of religation!
[/quote]

I''m afraid there''s not many of that lot left in the current team. Plus Delia

New team, new subs, new management, new CEO, new Board, new chairman.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]In my very important opinion...... [/quote]You do talk out of your vent...........[/quote]

[/quote][|-)][|-)][|-)]  what a dick

[/quote]Not much of a slide, considering we won again last night! Do you not even keep tally of the score anymore Cluck? [;)]

[/quote]fol-de-rol

[/quote]

You would jump through hoops if that happened wouldn''t ya?

Cluck your original post was actually quite good - and then you have to go and spoil it

I think that the team WERE battling hard to prove the opening result was a fluke and did it perfectly well. The game at the Tilda Rice factory not only buggered Col Whos pitch for good (Cowling will probably try and claim that off us as well) but also woke the rest of the division up to the fact we really were serious title contenders. Up to that point all the media focus was on Leeds and Charlton - all of a sudden it was on us

Clubs that weeks earlier thought they could play us off the park and replicate the 7-1 suddenly realised they needed to shut us down, put a big man on Hoolahan and yoou stop him (which also shows why there were no serious offers in January) and by stopping little Wes you stop Norwich to a certain extent.

That said I dont think ''the slide'' will happen. Yes I think we''ll lose a few more games but I think that we will win 7 of the remaining 13 and that will give us enough to make the top 2. Although I get the feeling nothing would delight you more than the club failing and then you telling us that you told us so

Are you related to Jose Mourhino? Or are you Peter Cullum. Either way - as they said on the radio tonight - youre the sort of guy that would join the navy so that the world could see you...

I think due to Holt''s frame it will take him longer to return to fitness.

Martin strikes me as the kind of player that if you were to drop him, it would infuriate him and he would come back stronger. I don''t know whether he warrants being dropped though.

Problem we have is Johnson has made a claim for a start, Holt needs to get his fitness back, and Martin hasn''t really done anything wrong.

The blessing of not having to make these decisions :)

[/quote]

Let''s just give up then. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I can''t help but feel that most games are won or lost in the top 2%. In other words most clubs put in 98% effort (ignoring quality for the moment) in a game. However it is the other 2% that decides whether a club will win or not. If a club just eases up a bit (ie 2% less effort) then it will be difficult to get much out of a game.

It seems to me that since we wiped the floor with Colchester we have tailed off just a bit (say 2%). Fortunately we''ve been able to keep winning quite a bit, although not so convincing as previous.

All this makes me think that we could be in for a tough March when we play Huddersfield, Swindon and Leeds (a la Southampton result).

As for the quality angle, if your game does indeed tail off "just a bit" then the quality will not show through. By way of evidence, Holt, Martin and Hoolahan all seem to be struggling "just a bit" at the moment.

A possible solution? Try to shake the team up a bit; for example give Johnson a run out and put Chris Martin on the bench. It''s all very well having an arrogant streak about you; it''s just that you need to keep delivering to justify it. Getting Spillane back in the starting line up might help also.

Tony.

Holt has certainly been a different player since coming back from his suspension!

The fact that we could have scored about 5-6 goals last night when we were c*ap for most of the game is good sign!

Remember 2003/04 when we won the Championship by 8 clear ponts and we had alot of dodgy c*ap performance wins like last night?

Lets hope Russell doesn''t come back the same!

[quote user="Tony Moore"]I can''t help but feel that most games are won or lost in the top 2%. In other words most clubs put in 98% effort (ignoring quality for the moment) in a game. However it is the other 2% that decides whether a club will win or not. If a club just eases up a bit (ie 2% less effort) then it will be difficult to get much out of a game.

[/quote]

But what if someone decides to give 110%?

Crikey, the way some people are talking here you''d think we''d won twice in 8.... oh wait thats Leeds.

Cheer up people, yes we''re not playing champagne football but we''re winning still. Thats the sign of a good team.

[quote user="Lambo"]

Crikey, the way some people are talking here you''d think we''d won twice in 8.... oh wait thats Leeds.

Cheer up people, yes we''re not playing champagne football but we''re winning still. Thats the sign of a good team.

[/quote]

We''re are cheerful, Lambo. See - [:D]

But we''d be considerably more cheerful (and proud) if we were winning playing that champagne football!

We''re just trying to figure out why we''ve been coming up short of that ideal recently.

What''s wrong with that? I can assure you that the constant search for that Holy Grail will eventually put us in much better stead than the lazy self-satisfied leadership and followership that dumped us back in the Third Division.

We seek for our club is to to move onwards and upwards convincingly - and in style.

OTBC

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if he works for the NOTW Don''t give a stuff what he writes as long as people read the c##p

Nothing wrong with being realistic about the way we are playing at the moment, yes we are winning but we have also lost a couple recently. I mean no disrespect to Southend when I say this but no way should a club with promotion ambitions struggle so much to disptach a relegation threatened side at home. There are some tough looking games coming up and we will need to play well to win them. Personally I think it is perm 2 from 4 for the automatic promotion places now.

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if he works for the NOTW Don''t give a stuff what he writes as long as people read the c##p

[/quote]

Ah, you mean people like you.......[:P]

What are they called again.....? Errrm..... marks & suckers I think....

[;)]

OTBC

Whether there are few survivors from the drubbing or not.... that result brought about a desire to prove a point throughout the whole club....... The point was duly comprehensively proved....and along with it the peak of performance reached.

I''ve not been wrong in my predictions yet.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]Yes you have, you said we''d be struggling against relegation this season....[/quote]

Nope. I said 12th place at best given the over all scenario at the time.

Lambert has performed wonders and the new Board members deserve much credit.... but the fact remains that we have a squad of players who are for the most part "journeymen", the kind of player that fades away when confidence dips. It''s dipping right now unfortunately and it''s infectious.

I would be delighted if I was wrong.... so don''t confuse a "concern" with a "wish". They are very different things.

[quote user="Hit Squad"]I think our midfield has been letting us down, the defenders seem to be getting the ball to much.
[/quote]

correct, the midfield on tues was awful until korey came on!