Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Chris Martin's New Contract

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]Any connection between his recent performance and him signing a new contract?

Let''s hope it''s just a blip[/quote]People will jump to that conclusion because of his previous...But remember, no one has particularly played great in the past games, so it''d be harsh to accuse Martin of this.

Any question of this could have been avoided by waiting until the end of the season. Also, offering a good contract to a player may undermine the morale of others in the team if they then feel that they are not so well remunerated and if perhaps they feel that they deserve better because they have more experience or bring more to the team. It''s quite telling though that some have remarked that Chris appears to have gained weight recently, and this could point to his losing focus. 

He''s come through the youth system and is under 24, so if he moved we are still entitled to a fee.  Taking away that ''carrot'' prematurely may well have undermined him psychologically IMO.  

Yeah he came on the scene scored a few goals got a new contract then went off the boil. Think it may just be a slight blip this time!

[quote user="AndyWhyteUK"]He made a nice turn and was inches away from scoring a cracker on Tuesday.If that had gone in nobody would be questioning him.[/quote]Absolutely agree. I think he looked more of a threat than Holt on Tuesday, but for some reason (maybe his past attitude), people seem to have a go at Martin a lot more.

Yep spot on. Every player goes through a off spell during the course of a season. He was superb when Holt was out through suspension, and I really dont think Lambert/Culverhouse would allow him to become to comfortable. It just amazes me that people are so quick to jump on players backs as soon as we have a bit of a dip in form, it was always going to happen at some point in the season.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]He signed the new contract in January and scored against Colchester x2, Brentford. Walsall & Millwall and then won the player of the month. Give him another contract?[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote user="AndyWhyteUK"]He made a nice turn and was inches away from scoring a cracker on Tuesday.If that had gone in nobody would be questioning him.[/quote]Quite right, I caught the highlights just this morning and was more than impressed with the way his spun away from the defender, took it past another and got a shot in at goal when surrounded by defenders.  All it would have taken was that to be a few inches inside the post and this thread wouldn''t even exist.By all accounts no one has played very well recently, maybe its time to stop looking for problems and accepting this loss of form for what it is - a blip from a team that has performed exceptionally well to a man for the best part of the past 20 or so games.  Slumps in form happen to every team and every player across the whole world, so let''s just look on to the next game and have faith that Lambert and his team can pull out a fine performance tomorrow at Oldham.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]Any connection between his recent performance and him signing a new contract?

Let''s hope it''s just a blip[/quote]People will jump to that conclusion because of his previous...But remember, no one has particularly played great in the past games, so it''d be harsh to accuse Martin of this.[/quote] Quite right. What strikers need is good service. We saw little of that Tuesday night. Whilst I think Chris could maybe picked up on his work rate Tuesday. That part of his game has improved greatly on the whole.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]Any connection between his recent performance and him signing a new contract? Let''s hope it''s just a blip[/quote]
People will jump to that conclusion because of his previous...
But remember, no one has particularly played great in the past games, so it''d be harsh to accuse Martin of this.
[/quote] Quite right. What strikers need is good service. We saw little of that Tuesday night. Whilst I think Chris could maybe picked up on his work rate Tuesday. That part of his game has improved greatly on the whole.

[/quote]

I noticed in particular with regard to the Southampton game, that Chris Martin shot over the bar from an acute angle when Holt was screaming for a pass. Holt remonstrated with Martin afterwards. Perhaps Martin is being a bit too greedy, and this is affecting Holt.